Thread: Customer with concealed carry gun license fatally shoots robber in Chicago store

Customer with concealed carry gun license fatally shoots robber in Chicago store

The gunman then pointed his weapon at another employee and forced her to the back of the store, police said. After that, a customer who was also inside the store pulled out a gun and fatally shot the robber, police said.

Police said the shooter has a valid concealed carry license and a valid firearm owner’s identification card. Charges against the shooter are not expected, police said.

Gildersleeve’s stepson said he believes there’s more to the story. Apparently, his stepfather was a former employee of the store and knew the owner well.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...fatally-shoot/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...Q9D74Tlp-oF7WM
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-03-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Police: Concealed carry license holder kills armed gunman

Story.

It's sad to see someone stupid enough to even attempt to rob a bank in today's environment of cameras, time-lock money drops, and, of course, armed citizens. Regardless of what the moron was actually carrying, his threat remained the same -- death by firearm to anyone who didn't comply. I am heartened to hear that a U.S. Citizen had the guts to actually exercise his Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for WHATEVER lawful purpose he encountered, including defending self and others in the bank against Gildersleeve, who conveyed the deadly threat.

What I want to know is why aren't we seeing stories about OCers doing the same? I'm inclined to believe the libtard media is highlighting CC in the wake of pro-2A pushes by the states while backhanding OC.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-02-2015 at 06:31 PM.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    What I want to know is why aren't we seeing stories about OCers doing the same? I'm inclined to believe the libtard media is highlighting CC in the wake of pro-2A pushes by the states while backhanding OC.
    Maybe because criminals think twice before commit crimes when they seem someone who is armed?

Frankly, I think the media has been wholly biased against reporting on armed LACs stopping crime for a very long time.

The general rule of thumb seems to be that violent crime committed with a gun is a nationwide story to be milked for as many days as possible. Meanwhile, crimes stopped or mitigated by an armed LAC are merely local news to be given passing mention once, and then forgotten about. If an armed LAC is part of a nationwide story, play down or just ignore the LAC part....unless of course playing up the LAC's inability to stop the criminal fits into the media agenda that good guys with guns won't do any good.

But bear in mind that as additional States move to permit-free/Constitutional carry, the distinction between OC and CC will become fairly irrelevant. In either case the LAC may well be in legal possession of a gun, regardless of whether he has a permit.

Also bear in mind that a not-insignificant number of OCers also have permits to carry. Between federal (and State) gun free school zones, recognition when traveling in States that may not be as (permit-free) OC-friendly as some others, and the legal ability to carry in winter months with a heavy coat, a lot of us have permits to carry and then choose our carry method (CC, OC, CCC) to suit the season, our attire, activity, or just mood.

It is funny though how the antis change their position. Several years ago when we were pushing to strengthen State preemption to protect carry on campus at colleges, some of the antis suggested that gun owners should OC so they would know who to avoid. Clearly, they were hoping social stigma would reduce the number that would choose to carry. Today, with strong State preemption in place, these same antis demand that guns on campus be kept concealed so they can feel safe not knowing who is armed.

Charles
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 11-02-2015 at 06:47 PM.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Citizen kills robber who has what turns out to be an imitation gun ...

The robber’s gun, it turns out, was fake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...wpisrc=nl_most

Citizen kills robber who has what turns out to be an imitation gun — is the killing lawful self-defense? Eugene Volokh at Volokh Conspiracy

[The robber’s stepson suggested the robber, Reginald Gildersleeve,] could have been apprehended without being killed, and appeared to call for charges against the shooter with the concealed weapon.

“Some people don’t actually know how to use guns,” he told the Tribune. “They go to firing ranges, but it’s not the same as a bullet going into someone’s body, it’s not the same as a bullet going into flesh. They should be able to wound first, kill next. He didn’t deserve to get shot multiple times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-self-defense/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-03-2015 at 06:39 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    “You just took a brother, you just took a father from a lot of people. Somebody’s got to answer for that.”

".....from the law’s perspective, somebody did answer for what happened to Gildersleeve — that someone was Gildersleeve himself."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-self-defense/

If it looks real, then the threat to cause death or serious injury is real - end of story.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I think if someone finds something wrong with the outcome of what happened is on the wrong side of the law in my book.Whether it was a real gun or fake he is the one that put the threat out there and the other guy responded in the best possible way under the circumstances.Shooting to wound would have not remove the threat and endangered more lives.I think this is a perfect example the good a armed responsible law abiding citizen can do in a criminal situations.I think he should be praised for having the guts to do something and no not praised because he killed someone so don't get the wrong idea, but for standing up against evil to save a innocent life.Instead you have the ones that try and make him out to be the criminal and shame on them people.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean1980 View Post
    I think if someone finds something wrong with the outcome of what happened is on the wrong side of the law in my book.Whether it was a real gun or fake he is the one that put the threat out there and the other guy responded in the best possible way under the circumstances.Shooting to wound would have not remove the threat and endangered more lives.I think this is a perfect example the good a armed responsible law abiding citizen can do in a criminal situations.I think he should be praised for having the guts to do something and no not praised because he killed someone so don't get the wrong idea, but for standing up against evil to save a innocent life.Instead you have the ones that try and make him out to be the criminal and shame on them people.
    Shooting to wound - if someone is shot between the optical sensors, they are wounded - yes?

We will shoot, when we must, to STOP.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-27-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

"It wasn't immediately clear whether the customer, who has not been identified, will face charges. Guglielmi said the case is under review by local prosecutors, but the preliminary details suggest that the customer was not at fault."

eye eye eye

Banned
    Don't need a permission slip. I wonder what the story would have been if the guy had no permit?