Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Picked up my new cannon

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Big Mo
    Posts
    43
    *
    Last edited by Sono; 03-14-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Delete

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,605
    Reasonably extensive list of ranges in MO.
    http://rangelistings.com/shooting-ranges/MO.html

    There are also unstaffed/free ranges:
    http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/pl...staffed-ranges
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    97
    Congrats! I love my M&P9 (and my M&P shield!) Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    Best training I've found in the area is Asymmetric Solutions. The classes are excellent. Really opened my eyes to how lacking my skills were with just practicing on paper in lanes at typical ranges. Memberships are the way to go. While the classes alone are worth every penny, the memberships also include unlimited range time during their open range days if you're close enough to take advantage.

    http://www.asymmetricsolutionsusa.com/

    Deal on the intro class if you want to check out a class before thinking about the membership:
    https://www.groupon.com/deals/asymmetric-solutions-1-1

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15
    Very nice! Check out apex tactical's website, why did you go with thumb safety?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Tx
    Posts
    326
    I'll second what STLDaniel said!!
    Shoot an M&P 9 and a 45 in IDPA competition and carry a Shield. Been the most reliable guns I've ever owned!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    I'll second what STLDaniel said!!
    Shoot an M&P 9 and a 45 in IDPA competition and carry a Shield. Been the most reliable guns I've ever owned!

    hummm, must notta owned a sig 226/229 or FNH 5.7...just saying...

    rumor has it there are a gaggle of sigs and fnh's being shot in competition... tho that might just be a rumor!!

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    hummm, must notta owned a sig 226/229 or FNH 5.7...just saying...

    rumor has it there are a gaggle of sigs and fnh's being shot in competition... tho that might just be a rumor!!

    ipse
    Correct, I've not owned a sig 226/229 nor an FNH 5.7. However, with well over 1,000 rounds through the M&P 9 I've never had a single failure with the factory parts. I briefly tried a custom spring, and had a few failures with cheap ammo. Went back to factory spring and it's yet to fail again with any ammo.

    Wouldn't say that it's any more reliable or that those aren't quality... just saying his prior statement as far as being the most reliable he's owned could easily be accurate as it is for myself. Even if I had owned those others, the best they could have done for me is a tie b/c you can't beat a perfect record.

    The shield also has yet to fail. Don't have near as many rounds through it yet.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Sono View Post
    I had a Ruger 9mm in the past and it jammed all the time? owned and shot several others 22, 38 special, 44 mag, 40 glock, 357, 45... Debating what my next will be besides and AR-15.
    Careful, you're bound to start a "Best Caliber" flame war

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern MO
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Sono View Post
    was told it was best? But Im realizing for a CC that little wing is going to be bothersome.... Besides, Im planning to get another pistol so this may end up as strictly a hunting/target pistol
    Practice a lot drawing and swiping the safety off and it will become a automatic movement. Of course I started years ago carrying a 1911 and swiping the safety off is just second nature for me. Now carry my sidearm OWB and it has a thumb safety. No problem.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,605
    Quote Originally Posted by STLDaniel View Post
    Careful, you're bound to start a "Best Caliber" flame war
    Not likely in this time and place.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Sono View Post
    was told it was best? But Im realizing for a CC that little wing is going to be bothersome.... Besides, Im planning to get another pistol so this may end up as strictly a hunting/target pistol
    "Best" may have been a strong word. Defense lawyer's like you to have the safety (especially on models that have the option as you selected the "safer" version). If I'm carrying in any way that doesn't have a model specific mold completely covering the trigger guard, you may prefer having that... some cheap holsters or off body carry comes to mind (not my intention to start a pro/con of off body here...) I also believe some states require it, so potentially it'd have a bigger market when selling it?

    Personally, my full size doesn't have one, which is my night stand and OC firearm. My shield has one, but it's embedded more than the wing they put on the full size and stays off unless I appendix carry... then for some odd reason I like all the extra safety I can get

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Sono View Post
    My wife and I are both going to the range tomorrow to break in the new cannons ( she has a S&W M&P9 shield ) Her slide is hard to pull back and I think its because of the smaller size and the recoil thats the stonger spring will soften that? Because my S&W M&P9 full size isnt anything near as hard to pull like hers is???
    The lighter shield will recoil more when using the same ammo. That's just physics of it being lighter. The stronger spring is necessary for the smaller/lighter slide to resist the pressure at correct rate to ensure it cycles correctly. Pretty typical of smaller vs. full size of the same caliber that the smaller slides will need a stronger spring.

  13. #13
    Regular Member MontanaResident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    160
    Nice Pistol.

    Cannon is a bit of a stretch for anything less then a 44Mag. .454 Casull and S&W 500 are cannons. Just saying...

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by Sono View Post
    picked up my CC permit, so Im official now.
    Trying to figure out which holster to get, Ive never had an IWB holster and they feel awkwards of the few Ive tried from friends??? Guess its a getting used to kinda thing? My jeans are fairly tight except for my carpenter jeans, so Im assuming your pants have to be a bit loose to accomodate the holster ( tried Aliengear ) and its really tight in the waistband of my normal jeans. I like the looks of the IWB and its really what I want although I wear long shirts an OWB is ok but just wanted to be more concealed if possible. Any recommendations or advice for this issue?
    Yes, open carry. You are after all in an OC forum.

    Buy new pants and a sturdy belt.
    Last edited by Bernymac; 11-24-2015 at 05:58 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Sono View Post
    picked up my CC permit, so Im official now.
    Trying to figure out which holster to get, Ive never had an IWB holster and they feel awkwards of the few Ive tried from friends??? Guess its a getting used to kinda thing? My jeans are fairly tight except for my carpenter jeans, so Im assuming your pants have to be a bit loose to accomodate the holster ( tried Aliengear ) and its really tight in the waistband of my normal jeans. I like the looks of the IWB and its really what I want although I wear long shirts an OWB is ok but just wanted to be more concealed if possible. Any recommendations or advice for this issue?
    Especially for concealment or IWB I think you've got to accept some trade offs. Unfortunately, that usually involves comfort. Compared to many, I have a rather small frame, and most IWB I've worn tend to be pretty snug or don't position well.

    The most comfortable I've found so far turned out to be relatively cheap, generic "multi brand/model" soft leather holsters that do not retain their shape. That flimsy-ness being one of the keys that allow them to mold to you in the available space given your frame and pants without being too rigid and uncomfortable. Here's the tradeoff: These tend to collapse when the weapon is drawn, and re-holstering must be done with extreme care. This style also relies solely on friction retention. These can usually be picked up pretty cheap at Bass Pro, Cabella's, or similar chains. If you try it, just always remember to watch your fingers and clothing and the holster itself from getting bent over into the trigger well.

    Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.slickguns.com/product/tal...d-xd-s-45-4995
    Last edited by STLDaniel; 11-24-2015 at 06:29 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Big Mo
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by STLDaniel View Post
    Especially for concealment or IWB I think you've got to accept some trade offs. Unfortunately, that usually involves comfort. Compared to many, I have a rather small frame, and most IWB I've worn tend to be pretty snug or don't position well.

    The most comfortable I've found so far turned out to be relatively cheap, generic "multi brand/model" soft leather holsters that do not retain their shape. That flimsy-ness being one of the keys that allow them to mold to you in the available space given your frame and pants without being too rigid and uncomfortable. Here's the tradeoff: These tend to collapse when the weapon is drawn, and re-holstering must be done with extreme care. This style also relies solely on friction retention. These can usually be picked up pretty cheap at Bass Pro, Cabella's, or similar chains. If you try it, just always remember to watch your fingers and clothing and the holster itself from getting bent over into the trigger well.

    Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.slickguns.com/product/tal...d-xd-s-45-4995
    Yes, I know about the soft holsters collapsing and re holstering issues, thats why I was looking at the rigid holsters like aliengear and blackhawk. I just had an awkwards feel with them so trying to figure out if its me or the product. My wife has an aliengear for her shield model and she says it feels fine to her... so I will probly have to get one and wear it awhile to get the feel of it and get some bigger waist size pants and hope it helps.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Big Mo
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    Yes, open carry. You are after all in an OC forum.

    Buy new pants and a sturdy belt.
    Id love to do the open carry if there wasnt so much to look out for with all the restrictions, Id buy a tactical leg holster for sure.

  18. #18
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    you should OC - otherwise you might be targeted by the girls...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    7
    New guy here....currently waiting for my background check to clear for my ccw permit...... I've been oc since I bought my xd40 subcompact but I've been cc when I'm in my vehicle(s) and have fallen in love with 511 tactical holster shirts. I wear wranglers and iwb carry with the xd just ain't gonna happen but when wearing the 511 undershirts under my pearl snap button ups the dang thing dissappears.....they keep it tight and secure and absolutely no printing... currently on day 26 of waiting on the background check

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,194
    Welcome.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  21. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    7
    Well day 28 ( yesterday ) my prints finally got back to my Sheriff's office. Now if I can get out of this frozen tundra called Minnesota and get home to pick up my permit life would be great ( ok maybe just a little better )

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by 40calcarrier View Post
    Well day 28 ( yesterday ) my prints finally got back to my Sheriff's office. Now if I can get out of this frozen tundra called Minnesota and get home to pick up my permit life would be great ( ok maybe just a little better )

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the forums, however, if you haven't noticed the forum says OPEN Carry.org, we discuss open carry and the normalization of armed citizens so CCW is kinda of a hear no evil speak no evil see no evil thing here on OCDO.

    however with the CCW you can OC anywhere but government buildings and the like. so if the purpose of the permit was to enjoy more OC freedom, then more power to you.

    also, just trying to point out the whole OC versus CC in topics thing before someone else does in a less polite manner. Again welcome to OCDO
    Last edited by Ezek; 01-13-2016 at 01:48 PM.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    Welcome to the forums, however, if you haven't noticed the forum says OPEN Carry.org, we discuss open carry and the normalization of armed citizens so CCW is kinda of a hear no evil speak no evil see no evil thing here on OCDO.

    however with the CCW you can OC anywhere but government buildings and the like. so if the purpose of the permit was to enjoy more OC freedom, then more power to you.

    also, just trying to point out the whole OC versus CC in topics thing before someone else does in a less polite manner. Again welcome to OCDO
    Actually we don't care how you carry. Just don't contribute to restricting OC - promoting & defending OC is the very basis for OCDO.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    7
    I drive a semi and spend a majority of my time outside of Missouri, I got my permit so there is no longer the hassle of stoppin to lock my gun up in every other state(now just Illinois and Minnesota till I get my mn nonresident permit too) and so I don't have to leave it in the truck more than half the time.
    While I am home I'll still OC I just wanted the option. Besides my springfield xd40 subcompact isn't exactly a pretty gun and the only OC holster I currently have is the xd gear plastic on that came with it......

    Stay safe shoot straight and CARRY ON!


    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Regular Member Richieg150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Show Me State
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaResident View Post
    Nice Pistol.

    Cannon is a bit of a stretch for anything less then a 44Mag. .454 Casull and S&W 500 are cannons. Just saying...
    I think my Desert Eagle .357 is considered a cannon.... and its a hoot to shoot.
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •