Thread: First "High Capacity" magazine charge in Colorado

First "High Capacity" magazine charge in Colorado

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news...imer/74887236/

Moscow was taken into police custody from the 72-hour hold on suspicion of educational interference, illegal possession of a weapon and possession of a large-capacity magazine, which is illegal in Colorado.
    Convicted felon. I wonder how this will play out. Will they use misdemeanor mag law as a plea bargain tool and set a precedent at the same time? Did he keep receipts? Otherwise how can they prove he acquired it/them after July 2013?

Wowwie!!!

The new high cap mag law didnt save anyone!!
    The law to turn in and detain mental health threats that is already the law in all states saved lives!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Standard capacity magazine = high capacity magazine

There must be a lack of oxygen in the mile high city.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Standard capacity magazine = high capacity magazine

There must be a lack of oxygen in the mile high city.
    There's something in the air up here, smells like a skunk...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    There's something in the air up here, smells like a skunk...
    That would be my preference.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    [ ... ] Otherwise how can they prove he acquired it/them after July 2013?
    Is the law ex post facto of possession or acquisition?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

first the agitated individual was put on a 72-hour mental health hold for allegedly making threats of killing someone, tis a common occurrence in the mental health field.

now, not being a legal beagle, i cannot substantiate the legality of the LE's search of his home based on a MH professional's word of what they heard discussed in their session. therefore, the nice LEs had to come to articulate suspicion enough to convince a judge to issue a warrant...or they did it w/o a warrant ~ !!

second, the article states the individual was not been charged with making threats ~ that would entail the MH professional testify, in court or on paper, exactly what was said, the client's frame of mind, why the client was there (anger mgmt session?) and so forth during their session. trust me the MH professional isn't going to want to play in that judicial proceeding what so ever as if word got out they would lose clients and their credibility. therefore this portion of the article is believable!!

guess the agitated individual defense is strictly one based on legality of the search, which i believe you will discern is eventuality thrown out once the newsworthiness wears out.

however, me thinks the poor agitated client ran into a sweet anti (guessing female) who turned the individual in, solely based on their weary perspective of firearms. if i were the client...a complaint would be filed with DORA over their behaviour. personally, i have never heard of a 27-65-105. Emergency procedure instigated precipitating a residence search.

finally, i am confused why someone under arrest, released after posting bond, would be on an ankle monitor under the charges of high capacity mag?

ipse

a side bar: i am sure the agitated individual also had all their firearms taken during the preemptive residence search...is he capable of getting them back, minus the hi cap mag?

the full unbiased story...http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news...e-cc/74692168/
    Last edited by solus; 11-04-2015 at 09:04 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Prolly searched under the community caretaking exception.

That's the very best reason that I can think of for staying out of the system. A mortician might be better than a psychiatrist.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Is the law ex post facto of possession or acquisition?
    Yes. All magazines regardless of capacity but were acquired before July 1, 2013 are exempt. Many LGS are selling mag repair kits that have all the parts allowing one to skirt the law, since it wasn't technically a magazine when it was purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Prolly searched under the community caretaking exception.

That's the very best reason that I can think of for staying out of the system. A mortician might be better than a psychiatrist.
    sorry night i late posted a better and unemotional article: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news...e-cc/74692168/

and it was the community college's social worker? (not listed in DORA) who notified the nice LE's and it sounds like she swatted him against other threats, not made by Moscow, of violence against the CCollege in recent days/weeks.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 11-04-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

...AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, a Glock .40-caliber handgun and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.
    Ah, the whack-a-doodle is really a terrorist disguising himself as a whack-a-doodle.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Ah, the whack-a-doodle is really a terrorist disguising himself as a whack-a-doodle.
    remember it was over the halloween timeframe ~ wack a whatever...really...

ipse, ThD

Banned
    In Connecticut, the first charge of this type is an infraction. I'm surprised someone has not just gone into the Gov's office and plunked down one of the standard mags just to challenge this.

These idiots should stop using the phrase "high capacity".

We had to "registrerer dem" LOL. Now all these folks are concerned about confiscation..dummies who registered anything.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    In Connecticut, the first charge of this type is an infraction. I'm surprised someone has not just gone into the Gov's office and plunked down one of the standard mags just to challenge this.

These idiots should stop using the phrase "high capacity".

We had to "registrerer dem" LOL. Now all these folks are concerned about confiscation..dummies who registered anything.
    Thankfully registration is prohibited by state law here. Which makes the whole "universal background check" law a complete joke.