Thread: National Guard Medic survives home shootout while protecting her baby.

National Guard Medic survives home shootout while protecting her baby.

National Guard Medic survives home shootout while protecting her baby.

"Bunce was feeding the baby when the assailants forced their way into the home."

http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/...ly-says/npGTN/
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

truly sorry to hear about the home invasion...but i do find it quite interesting after listening to the the nice news blurp, there is not one iota of a description of or number of assailant(s) or even some mention of a motive...

bit odd on the omission...cuz ya would have thunk the neighbours should be concerned on whom to watch out for, ad nauseam...

just saying...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Not sure what her affiliation with the NG has to do with the price of tea regarding the incident.

(Except that it plays on the "Thank you for your service" hero-creationism.)

No, I was not there and have no information about how the confrontation at the stairs went. But as a tactical comment because there is nothing else to talk about my money is on her being standing when the lead started to fly, and that she shot second. Why all this commentary? Because I have never heard of a self defense at home course that covered anything remotely covering real-life tactical training.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Not sure what her affiliation with the NG has to do with the price of tea regarding the incident.

(Except that it plays on the "Thank you for your service" hero-creationism.)

No, I was not there and have no information about how the confrontation at the stairs went. But as a tactical comment because there is nothing else to talk about my money is on her being standing when the lead started to fly, and that she shot second. Why all this commentary? Because I have never heard of a self defense at home course that covered anything remotely covering real-life tactical training.

stay safe.
    1. Her training as both a soldier and combat medic are very relevant. She was trained not to panic, but to focus on the mission at hand, whether that is treating a patient or defending against an aggressor.
    2. There is training in the military that does apply to home self defense. You are probably right about her standing when the shooting started. Her one possible failure was that she did not seek adequate cover before the shooting started.
    3. As concerns what I bolded and underlined: If you would not do the job these young men and women do, then you have no moral right to disparage either their service or others' appreciation of it. I really thought better of you.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

A home invasion is a low grade combat situation, so yeah, SFC is right. BCT is the best thing to have in that situation. It helps you be mentally prepared for intense events.

We have to cut her some slack though, SFC. She is only a sandbagger after all.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

3. As concerns what I bolded and underlined: If you would not do the job these young men and women do, then you have no moral right to disparage either their service or others' appreciation of it. I really thought better of you.
    I'll put my Combat Action Ribbon and three campaign stars up against any horse hockey like what you just wrote.

Discussions about "moral right" and "disparaging" are probably better handled via PMs but the general attitude certainly seems to support "Thank you for your service" hero-creationism.

It's too bad tone of voice cannot be conveyed in internet posts. Semper Fi, Mac!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Don't mess with mama bear!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    Don't mess with mama bear!

or skid for that matter, it seems...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    1. Her training as both a soldier and combat medic are very relevant. She was trained not to panic, but to focus on the mission at hand, whether that is treating a patient or defending against an aggressor.
    2. There is training in the military that does apply to home self defense. You are probably right about her standing when the shooting started. Her one possible failure was that she did not seek adequate cover before the shooting started.
    You have a stairway that forms a "fatal funnel" - or for the groundpounders a classic hasty point ambush ( http://arotc.uncc.edu/sites/arotc.un...s%20Ambush.pdf page 333)

I'm presuming she was trained in concealment and cover, and that as a Combat Medic she had familiarization if not actual training in ambushes. All of which, apparently, going TU for any of a variety of reasons - maybe because it happened in her home as opposed to out on the range? We'll never know.

People -prepare and practice. Not because you are afraid they are going to come and get you, but because you know they will. You just don't know when.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit