• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Guard Medic survives home shootout while protecting her baby.

solus

truly sorry to hear about the home invasion...but i do find it quite interesting after listening to the the nice news blurp, there is not one iota of a description of or number of assailant(s) or even some mention of a motive...

bit odd on the omission...cuz ya would have thunk the neighbours should be concerned on whom to watch out for, ad nauseam...

just saying...

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not sure what her affiliation with the NG has to do with the price of tea regarding the incident.

(Except that it plays on the "Thank you for your service" hero-creationism.)

No, I was not there and have no information about how the confrontation at the stairs went. But as a tactical comment because there is nothing else to talk about my money is on her being standing when the lead started to fly, and that she shot second. Why all this commentary? Because I have never heard of a self defense at home course that covered anything remotely covering real-life tactical training.

stay safe.

SFCRetired

Not sure what her affiliation with the NG has to do with the price of tea regarding the incident.

(Except that it plays on the "Thank you for your service" hero-creationism.)

No, I was not there and have no information about how the confrontation at the stairs went. But as a tactical comment because there is nothing else to talk about my money is on her being standing when the lead started to fly, and that she shot second. Why all this commentary? Because I have never heard of a self defense at home course that covered anything remotely covering real-life tactical training.

stay safe.
1. Her training as both a soldier and combat medic are very relevant. She was trained not to panic, but to focus on the mission at hand, whether that is treating a patient or defending against an aggressor.
2. There is training in the military that does apply to home self defense. You are probably right about her standing when the shooting started. Her one possible failure was that she did not seek adequate cover before the shooting started.
3. As concerns what I bolded and underlined: If you would not do the job these young men and women do, then you have no moral right to disparage either their service or others' appreciation of it. I really thought better of you.

DeSchaine

A home invasion is a low grade combat situation, so yeah, SFC is right. BCT is the best thing to have in that situation. It helps you be mentally prepared for intense events.

We have to cut her some slack though, SFC. She is only a sandbagger after all. :lol: ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
3. As concerns what I bolded and underlined: If you would not do the job these young men and women do, then you have no moral right to disparage either their service or others' appreciation of it. I really thought better of you.

I'll put my Combat Action Ribbon and three campaign stars up against any horse hockey like what you just wrote.

Discussions about "moral right" and "disparaging" are probably better handled via PMs but the general attitude certainly seems to support "Thank you for your service" hero-creationism.

It's too bad tone of voice cannot be conveyed in internet posts. Semper Fi, Mac!

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
1. Her training as both a soldier and combat medic are very relevant. She was trained not to panic, but to focus on the mission at hand, whether that is treating a patient or defending against an aggressor.
2. There is training in the military that does apply to home self defense. You are probably right about her standing when the shooting started. Her one possible failure was that she did not seek adequate cover before the shooting started.

You have a stairway that forms a "fatal funnel" - or for the groundpounders a classic hasty point ambush ( http://arotc.uncc.edu/sites/arotc.u...hniques Section 12 - Squad Tactics Ambush.pdf page 333)

I'm presuming she was trained in concealment and cover, and that as a Combat Medic she had familiarization if not actual training in ambushes. All of which, apparently, going TU for any of a variety of reasons - maybe because it happened in her home as opposed to out on the range? We'll never know.

People -prepare and practice. Not because you are afraid they are going to come and get you, but because you know they will. You just don't know when.

stay safe.