• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An example of why I dislike "hate crime" laws

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Without motive and malice, murder is not murder. Making hate toward a class of people a distinct "kind" of murder is not criminalizing thought. There should certainly be nothing wrong with considering a person's hate for the victim's race when considering a homicide by that person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True as far as it goes. However, hate-crime laws are not about statutorily enshrining racial prejudice or any other prejudice as a motive accepted by the courts. If malice establishes motive, it establishes motive. Doesn't matter whether the murderer killed out of a motive of jealousy or a motive of hate. Murder is murder.

The point is there is no justification for making a separate class of crime when the existing classes already cover it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The Icemen had no emotion when killing. It was still murder.

Wait. What!?

No, no, no.

One of the premises offered is that it is valid to increase the offense for certain attitudes or emotional states. Well, then, it necessarily follows--and fairness requires--a reduction of the offense for certain other attitudes or emotional states. If the Icemen had no emotion while killing, then it is hardly fair to categorize them as murderers.

And, what of Jeffrey Dahmer? He actually liked the people he killed--the same way hunters like venison. Surely, fairness requires that a killer who actually likes his victim have his offense reduced to, say, voluntary manslaughter.

These are perfectly rational conclusions based on the offered premise. Why, they just naturally follow. I'm not sure what to do under the offered premise with a cannibal who loves his wife as a spouse, and likes her as a snack. But, I am sure the offered premise will have the breadth to compass the question.

:)

Last edited:

nonameisgood

The misinterpretation is that malice is hate. Malice is an intent to do harm, which might not include hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrakeZ07

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/malice

DrakeZ07 is a liberal singularly comfortable in his misery, willing to drag any of us, or all of us, into his misery...for it, his misery, dearly loves company.

Hate crimes are nothing more than white guilt ridden liberals dragging all of us into their misery.

I'm not a Liberal. I just don't really give two sh*ts when it comes to the political side of things, and vote, or not vote, however I want. I mean crap, I voted for Gary Johnson for President in 2012. Besides, I kinda want Dubya Bush to be president in 2016, because that dude was a hilarious president, and easy to make fun of, without being called a racist. Like if Hildawg got elected, making fun of her would leave me being called a sexist! We need another stupid president in office. Dubya 2016!

OC for ME

I'm not a Liberal. I just don't really give two sh*ts when it comes to the political side of things, and vote, or not vote, however I want. ....
Based on your posts, of course you are a liberal. Your vote (and non-vote obviously) is of no consequence, just as a liberal with a gun, who votes for liberals, claiming to be a staunch 2A supporter.

Single issue voter I see. Gary Johnson's views on gay issues.

Nothing wrong with single issue voters...per se.

Example: 23% national sales tax?

Just to place his policy in perspective.

Sales Tax Breakdown:
National: 23% (Gary Johnsons' desire)
Missouri State: 4.225%
Saint Louis County: 2.888%
Saint Louis: 1.566%
Total: 31.679%

Gary Johnson would not respect the rights of citizens or work to restore individual liberty.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm

Freedom1Man

Hate crime laws. If a white straight man kills anyone who is not a white straight man it is a hate crime. If any other group kills him for being a white straight man it is simply murder. That is why these laws are bad. They are very subjective (at best) and down right awful on the good side.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk