Thread: Can I OC in Adams County ( Thornton ) ?

Question Can I OC in Adams County ( Thornton ) ?

Hi guys/gals, great forum and my first post/thread here

While waiting for my CHP, I'm curious if I can 'legally' OC in Adams county ( Thornton, Northglenn, Westminster, Broomfield etc .. ) ?

Cannot seem to find a clear answer to this...

Also, maybe a silly question, is Adams county part of Denver city/county/jurisdiction

Just wanna be sure before I start carrying!

Thanks all

That's where I grew up. And as far as I know, OC is allowed there. With state preemption, only Denver has a legal ban against OC in Colorado.

However, it's pretty uncommon there, so be prepared for some police to give you some grief over it.

EDIT: Here's the municipal code that's relevant:
    Quote Originally Posted by Municode.com
    Sec. 38-241. - Prohibition on the open carrying of firearms.

The City of Thornton hereby prohibits the open carrying of a firearm, as defined in Section 38-237 of the Code, in any city building or in or upon any city property including but not limited to parks, open spaces or trails that exist within the City of Thornton and that have a sign posted at the entrance to any city building or city property informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in such building or area.

So it looks like there's an OC ban on city-controlled property that have a sign posted at the entrance.

Last edited by jackrockblc; 11-06-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    That's where I grew up. And as far as I know, OC is allowed there. With state preemption, only Denver has a legal ban against OC in Colorado.

However, it's pretty uncommon there, so be prepared for some police to give you some grief over it.

EDIT: Here's the municipal code that's relevant:

So it looks like there's an OC ban on city-controlled property that have a sign posted at the entrance.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Ah! I'll just wait for my CHP and CC then...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by M5RahuL View Post
    Ah! I'll just wait for my CHP and CC then...

Thanks!
    Well, if you plan on OCing in city-controlled property, then that's probably the best move. However, if you think you'll stay out of those areas, OC should be find.

Article 2 Colorado Constitution

Section 13. Right to bear arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.
    Only Denver was able to find a crooked (liberal) judge to get excepted, for a governmental entity to ban it ALL entrenches must be posted.

I have OCed everywhere except Denver with no problems. When living on the western slope (Grand Junction) the only problem I had was people stopping me to thank me for carrying. OC away, if hassled start figuring what new gun you will buy with the settlement money.

BTW, that is denver county not just the municipality.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    BTW, that is denver county not just the municipality.

ipse
    Denver is a uni-gove city, all of Denver County is City of Denver, I just didn't make the distinction.

Great posts guys.. thanks! .. I was at Cabelas in Thornton today and happened to ask one of the guys behind the firearms counter about OC'ing in Adam's county and he said, since it's part of Denver, it's illegal ( I remember him mentioning class 2 misdemeanor ) to OC !

Now, I'm confused as hell ....

Isn't Denver County separate from Adam's ?
    Last edited by M5RahuL; 11-10-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Well, if you plan on OCing in city-controlled property, then that's probably the best move. However, if you think you'll stay out of those areas, OC should be find.
    Question... so if go out for a walk on the sidewalk of the main street ( say.. 120th Ave ) .. can I OC legally ?

Great posts guys.. thanks! .. I was at Cabelas in Thornton today and happened to ask one of the guys behind the firearms counter about OC'ing in Adam's county and he said, since it's part of Denver, it's illegal ( I remember him mentioning class 2 misdemeanor ) to OC !
    Wrong.

The search function is your friend http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ghlight=cabela

Right.

I've OC'd at that very Cabela's several times. I can assure you that it is NOT part of Denver. Thornton is in Adams and Weld counties, not Denver. Denver City and County have the same borders, so you can't be in Thornton and Denver county at the same time.

I've OC'd at that very Cabela's several times. I can assure you that it is NOT part of Denver. Thornton is in Adams and Weld counties, not Denver. Denver City and County have the same borders, so you can't be in Thornton and Denver county at the same time.
    Right, you are

OC'd today at that location and all I was asked was to keep it holstered. I wanted to debate the 'keep it holstered' comment, but was too tired to initiate..

Question... so if go out for a walk on the sidewalk of the main street ( say.. 120th Ave ) .. can I OC legally ?
    Still wondering what a LEO's stand would be on this ? I usually go for late night strolls ( 10 - 10:30 ish ) and would like to OC w/o being hassled.. esp since I do not have my CHP [ although, how would that help with OC.. ] yet !

Still wondering what a LEO's stand would be on this ? I usually go for late night strolls ( 10 - 10:30 ish ) and would like to OC w/o being hassled.. esp since I do not have my CHP [ although, how would that help with OC.. ] yet !
    Unless you cross the Divide to the western side, there's always going to be a risk that you'll be hassled. Just remember to know your rights, act courteously with the police, and be sure to carry in a quality retention holster. Have at least an audio recorder with you - video would be better - just in case you do come across some harassment or curious bystanders.

Remember that in most PDs that I've heard of, it's policy for a cop to visit an area/person/scene if somebody calls them. So somebody might call 911 with an MWAG call, the cop visits, sees everything is in order, have a short conversation, and leave. Other times, a cop may initiate detainment - this is where a legal defense plan comes into play. Have some way to pay for it - even if you're 100% in the right, it's still VERY possible that you'll have to pay for legal counsel (and maybe even a trial!). I wouldn't rely on the public defender's office - I met a former public defender just a couple of weeks ago, and she mentioned that at any point in time, she had at least 150 cases on her desk. I think I'd rather have a plan that doesn't involve an overworked, underpaid attorney who may have never spent a day in trial in his/her life.

In short - plan ahead.

In short - plan ahead.
    Yeah, I suppose I'll just continue my walks with supplemental protective gear in lieu of, at least for the time being..

I did sign up with ' US Law Shield ', hoping they'd be of some help should the need arise!

Usually nobody calls and you end up wondering what all the fuss was about in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    Usually nobody calls and you end up wondering what all the fuss was about in the first place.
    Usually, yes. But I was simply advising preparation and self-education. If we work only with what is "likely", then we wouldn't carry firearms. After all, how "likely" is it that we get attacked with a mortal threat every day?
    Last edited by jackrockblc; 11-18-2015 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Grammar and readability

Me too

Right, you are

OC'd today at that location and all I was asked was to keep it holstered. I wanted to debate the 'keep it holstered' comment, but was too tired to initiate..
    Last year, long story short.. The guy at the door said if I pull it out I would be asked to leave.
    But yes u can carry in Thornton for sure, parks and city property is posted, but u will have police interaction and if in Thornton be prepared for a negative encounter. Unincorporated Brighton is sheriffs office. Those tend to be more positive.

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszu View Post
    Last year, long story short.. The guy at the door said if I pull it out I would be asked to leave.
    But yes u can carry in Thornton for sure, parks and city property is posted, but u will have police interaction and if in Thornton be prepared for a negative encounter. Unincorporated Brighton is sheriffs office. Those tend to be more positive.
    For now, I'll be OC'ing in the vehicle and when I'm taking my late night (thinking time ) walks.. I hope the Glock 19 Gen 4 is okay with some rain/snow

Also... I'm gonna start OC'ing more often once I have my CHP.. I know that *logically* won't do anything..but at least I'll have some kind of permit to carry which *may* pacify or conciliate an otherwise adverse/negative/unexpected LEO meeting!

Thornton Resident Here!

Hi guys/gals, great forum and my first post/thread here

While waiting for my CHP, I'm curious if I can 'legally' OC in Adams county ( Thornton, Northglenn, Westminster, Broomfield etc .. ) ?

Cannot seem to find a clear answer to this...

Also, maybe a silly question, is Adams county part of Denver city/county/jurisdiction

Just wanna be sure before I start carrying!

Thanks all
    I know this is now a month old thread, but I live in Thornton (near 136th and Colorado) and I OC every day I don't head to Denver, which is most days. I just wanted to share that I have not had a problem carrying anywhere that is not posted here in Thornton. I generally get people thanking me or saying they wish they had the guts to do it themselves. I had a conversation with an interested gentlemen at the Kohl's off 120th and Colorado that had been debating the legality of it with his friends the night before and directed him to check out OCDO as it is such a great resource.

I hope you end up OCing even with the CC permit! Maybe I'll see ya around.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser McB View Post
    I know this is now a month old thread, but I live in Thornton (near 136th and Colorado) and I OC every day I don't head to Denver, which is most days. I just wanted to share that I have not had a problem carrying anywhere that is not posted here in Thornton. I generally get people thanking me or saying they wish they had the guts to do it themselves. I had a conversation with an interested gentlemen at the Kohl's off 120th and Colorado that had been debating the legality of it with his friends the night before and directed him to check out OCDO as it is such a great resource.

I hope you end up OCing even with the CC permit! Maybe I'll see ya around.
    I used to live behind that Kohl's (in the Fox Creek apts), and my brother is only a couple of miles from that point, so I still occasionally go there. Have you had any contact (positive or negative) with the police while open carrying? When I lived there was years before I became a gun owner.

... Have you had any contact (positive or negative) with the police while open carrying? When I lived there was years before I became a gun owner.
    jackrockblc, I've seen LEOs, but not sure if they noticed I was carrying or not. My policy has been to smile and nod if they are looking at me, but I don't go out of my way to approach them! Better to continue on with my business. The only real contact was getting pulled over for a busted headlight. I had my handgun in the glove box when he asked for my registration. I told him it was there before opening so he was not caught off guard. He asked if I had a permit and I stated, "I do not need a permit to conceal a firearm in my vehicle" to which he agreed. I moved my registration to the center console to prevent that situation in the future.

Back in the last Sheriff's election I asked the candidates their views on open carry as well as the issue of concealed permits in Adams County as the process was a bit ridiculous when I applied. I can only find the email I got from Rick Reigenborn who as of this post is still listed as a patrol officer for Adams County. Here's what he had to say...

"I am a big believer in the concealed carry for those individuals that meet the requirements of the law.
    While open carry is a right, I'm not a big fan of it as some people get concerened about it. I have contacted many people doing an open carry and all of them have done everything I have asked, so again, law abiding citizens following the law."

With the above quote in mind, not every officer will have the same view. My ex-girlfriend did her police training through Adams County Sheriff and she mentioned the training seemed a bit more geared to asking questions such that the contact would willingly give up their rights for searches etc. So as many people on OCDO have said, know your rights, know the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser McB View Post
    jackrockblc, I've seen LEOs, but not sure if they noticed I was carrying or not. My policy has been to smile and nod if they are looking at me, but I don't go out of my way to approach them! Better to continue on with my business. The only real contact was getting pulled over for a busted headlight. I had my handgun in the glove box when he asked for my registration. I told him it was there before opening so he was not caught off guard. He asked if I had a permit and I stated, "I do not need a permit to conceal a firearm in my vehicle" to which he agreed. I moved my registration to the center console to prevent that situation in the future.

Back in the last Sheriff's election I asked the candidates their views on open carry as well as the issue of concealed permits in Adams County as the process was a bit ridiculous when I applied. I can only find the email I got from Rick Reigenborn who as of this post is still listed as a patrol officer for Adams County. Here's what he had to say...

"I am a big believer in the concealed carry for those individuals that meet the requirements of the law.
    While open carry is a right, I'm not a big fan of it as some people get concerened about it. I have contacted many people doing an open carry and all of them have done everything I have asked, so again, law abiding citizens following the law."

With the above quote in mind, not every officer will have the same view. My ex-girlfriend did her police training through Adams County Sheriff and she mentioned the training seemed a bit more geared to asking questions such that the contact would willingly give up their rights for searches etc. So as many people on OCDO have said, know your rights, know the laws.
    Great post!! I do often go to that Kohls [ live 2 mins away ] but didn't OC yet...

The stupid CHP takes 90 days...so that's still a long wait in progress ( I was told the current scenario is 60 days at the Sheriff's office ...so I'm hoping it'll arrive sooner )

I visit Barnes and Noble 9 ( 120th and Washington ) often and wonder if they're ok with OC

Who knows we might run in to each other some day!