Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Help! From Louisville

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    1

    Help! From Louisville

    Hi!

    I live in Louisville proper, within the PRB. I'm fortunate to work at a very 2nd Amendment rights' friendly company. I tend to get in early--very early--and, while Louisville is very safe, because of where I'm from originally, I know that places that are intrinsically safe are still worthy targets for various miscreants. Now, given that we can all agree that we can't assume safety anywhere, and also that I'm furnishing the fact that my company is OK with this, if, and when--as I often do--get in much earlier than anyone else, what constitutes open carry in Louisville or PRB in general? I ask only because the proprietor of a local gun-selling establishment remarked something along the lines of "so long as the grip shows...". So, if I walk out of my home within my Sanders-fearing haunts at o-dark-thirty-am, what do I need to be showing to be lawfully OC'ing in Louisville?

    As I hope not to be flamed here, I did spend 2.5 years in the Springs where, well, if you've lived there, you know. And before that, in and about the DC suburbs. Either way, both were very different environments. Help a brother out!

    Don't fear the reaper!
    Tom

    PS: The plan is to pack my SA Operator. If that's not enough rounds, I've done enough fooling around with my Jeep to find places to stick my Winchester 7+1 pistol grip only 12 gauge. I may buy a Glock, or something else that's a double stack... but that's another discussion. I'd rather put some lead in my assailant before he puts in me--no matter what the outcome--, if that's what it has to come down to.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Larimer County, CO
    Posts
    212
    One has to be able to see it coming and going (if they bother to look) for it to count as OC. This is just my opinion. If it's just the grip showing but it's at 3:00 and visible to people in front of you it's OC.

    Some claim that small of the back OWB is open carry. My argument is if the guy is carrying a desert eagle in that position for an hour and you don't notice a handgun until he walks away, well that's concealing to me.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    One has to be able to see it coming and going (if they bother to look) for it to count as OC. This is just my opinion. If it's just the grip showing but it's at 3:00 and visible to people in front of you it's OC.

    Some claim that small of the back OWB is open carry. My argument is if the guy is carrying a desert eagle in that position for an hour and you don't notice a handgun until he walks away, well that's concealing to me.
    OC has nothing to do with where the other person is standing or what might obscure his/her vision. OC is generally defined as not hidden from common observation and carried in a manner so as to be recognizable as a gun - go figure.

    Strong side to the wall in a restaurant booth or in a phone booth (remember those?) is still OC - same as standing in another room from the potential viewer.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    "Open carry" does not appear to be defined by statute, except that it is not "concealed carry". http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

    That makes me think that the real answer to what is OC vs CC will be found in case law. As there are several law schools in/near Boulder County you should be able to go to one of their libraries where you can ask for help Shepardizing the issue of what is OC vs CC.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Larimer County, CO
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    OC has nothing to do with where the other person is standing or what might obscure his/her vision. OC is generally defined as not hidden from common observation and carried in a manner so as to be recognizable as a gun - go figure.

    Strong side to the wall in a restaurant booth or in a phone booth (remember those?) is still OC - same as standing in another room from the potential viewer.
    I don't consider anything past 4:00 as view-able from common observation, unless I am approached by someone who does a 360 in front of me. Technically OC but as I said it's JMHO and IANAL etc.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    I don't consider anything past 4:00 as view-able from common observation, unless I am approached by someone who does a 360 in front of me. Technically OC but as I said it's JMHO and IANAL etc.




    So if you are standing on their non-dominate side as they walk by, you think that your POV determines that they are not OCing - that is ridiculous. No personal offense intended.

    At one time there was a state that said 100% of the gun had to be visible and if it were hung by a string through the trigger guard, the string made it concealed. Don't recall what state that was. Anybody?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Larimer County, CO
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    So if you are standing on their non-dominate side as they walk by, you think that your POV determines that they are not OCing - that is ridiculous. No personal offense intended.

  8. #8
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    snipped

    At one time there was a state that said 100% of the gun had to be visible and if it were hung by a string through the trigger guard, the string made it concealed. Don't recall what state that was. Anybody?
    I think it was mississippi.
    their was a new poster here from there, he was soooo hung up on being polite that it was obnoxious!
    i convinced him to leave us and return to his old local site where all they really talk about is,
    nice gun, have a nice day, after you no after you.

    anyhoooo, i studied their carry law, it was sooo bad that you needed holographic sight so that
    you could see every side, from every angle, of every bit of the gun to avoid breaking the law.

    it was fixed about two years ago.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Larimer County, CO
    Posts
    212
    Obnoxiously polite, is that even possible unless one is patronizing another?

    Anyway notice I said someone "approaching me" not walking past, or going about their daily lives.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    Not splitting a hair at all.

    More like you are making a mountain range out of a none existent mole hill. Your argument/position has no basis in fact.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Dario wants to go down the street spinning/rotating so that there is no question his handgun is visible.

    I say let him do that. But I want video!

    As far as I'm concerned there is only one opinion on the matter that carries any weight - the opinion of the court.

    When you live where there are over half a dozen law schools finding out the opinion of the court should not be all that hard. (Plus you may be helping some 2L fulfill his pro bono community service requirement by doing the actual research for you.)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  12. #12
    Regular Member JamesB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I am certain that the owners of this forum appreciate your chasing off members, especially because they are being polite. We need to keep those people away from us. They have no place here.
    Have you ever thought of traveling?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Larimer County, CO
    Posts
    212
    Let me try it from this angle:

    If it's being carried at 3:00 it's visible coming and going. No twirling involved. If you approach a cop carrying behind the back, I would suggest you have a CCW.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I am certain that the owners of this forum appreciate your chasing off members, especially because they are being polite. We need to keep those people away from us. They have no place here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Have you ever thought of traveling?
    Gutshot mostly concentrates on his home state, but can sagely address issues in others. His advice and experience hold him in good stead.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    Let me try it from this angle:

    If it's being carried at 3:00 it's visible coming and going. No twirling involved. If you approach a cop carrying behind the back, I would suggest you have a CCW.
    I'll give you credit for being consistent..............consistently wrong

    We defend and promote legal open carry here. A negative opinion of OC is not unknown from the less than well informed. A one person litany/campaign is not well received - be forewarned.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    Let me try it from this angle:

    If it's being carried at 3:00 it's visible coming and going. No twirling involved. If you approach a cop carrying behind the back, I would suggest you have a CCW.
    OK, no twirling. Just crab-walk so your 3 o'clock is always to everybody's front.

    I suggest you give it a rest. You have expressed your opinion. Others have expressed theirs. Without case law that's what it is - a bunch of opinions with no weight behind them.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Larimer County, CO
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    OK, no twirling. Just crab-walk so your 3 o'clock is always to everybody's front.

    I suggest you give it a rest. You have expressed your opinion. Others have expressed theirs. Without case law that's what it is - a bunch of opinions with no weight behind them.

    stay safe.
    Meh, I'm seeing that it is a touchy subject around here. Some of my statements seem to have been taken out of context. I never said "visible from all angles" just simply coming and going. To me anything less is hiding something.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    LOL I wonder what Dario is hiding? A left-hand tail IQ?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •