Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish me luck

Wish me luck

I'm going to open carry today in Omaha and hopefully I won't have any negative interaction with leos. I open carry in Sarpy county with no issues but I've heard mixed views on oc in Omaha. I won't be going downtown so I hope that it'll be an easy going day. Wish me luck!

Anticipate the best, prepare for the worst. Carrying a digital voice recorder that is running always helps. Remembering that disagreements with the local cops are better handled in the courtroom than face down in the street wearing handcuffs is always good.

"Am I free to go?" If yes, do so - Get! Be gone! Go away!

If not - "I want to speak with an attorney before answering any questions." And then KYBMS until a lawyer shows up and you have conferred with them.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Welcome aboard....And skidmark has spoken.........

The OP hasn't been heard from since this morning, so clearly he's either dead or in custody!

That's just the nature of Omaha!

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    The OP hasn't been heard from since this morning, so clearly he's either dead or in custody!

He could have a lot of ammo....

... Watching the News ...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Always reasearch/verify first - wash, rinse, repeat.

Omaha requires a separate permission slip to OC there - violators subject to arrest, fined up to $500.00 and imprisoned for up to 6 months. Worst of all they can take your gun.

Omaha Municipal Code, Chapter 20, Article 7, Section 20-206, lines 8 & 9, Section 20-207 - 208

https://www.municode.com/library/ne/...GE_S20-206CAWE
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Omaha requires a separate permission slip to OC there - violators subject to arrest, fined up to $500.00 and imprisoned for up to 6 months. Worst of all they can take your gun.

Omaha Municipal Code, Chapter 20, Article 7, Section 20-206, lines 8 & 9, Section 20-207 - 208

I see a prohibition on carrying a "concealable" firearm (I guess that's the OC prohibition?), but 20-206 (10) makes that inapplicable to CCW permit holders...?

In the Omaha ordinances, per the referenced municode , a concealable firearm is less than 26" in overall length. You may carry such firearm concealed only with a NE-issued permit. Must be a reason I have generally avoided this particular Unenlightened city.

I'm still alive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post

I'm still alive! I just had a lot of errands to run today lol. My experience actually wasn't half bad and I got to educate a few peopl on the topic so all in all it was a successful oc day.

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Anticipate the best, prepare for the worst. Carrying a digital voice recorder that is running always helps. Remembering that disagreements with the local cops are better handled in the courtroom than face down in the street wearing handcuffs is always good.

"Am I free to go?" If yes, do so - Get! Be gone! Go away!

If not - "I want to speak with an attorney before answering any questions." And then KYBMS until a lawyer shows up and you have conferred with them.

stay safe.
    I've actually been open carrying for years now and I do carry some type of recorder at all times just in case. I do appreciate the advice as I am not perfect and do appreciate any new info that I can absorb. I've dealt with a lot of police over the years and I know first hand that your attitude can definitely sway the encounter in one way or another. Thanks again for your input. Stay safe and shoot straight

If u have a ccw u do not need an open carry permit. Although, if all u do is oc or want to oc in Omaha without a ccw, you will need that oc permit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyvet19k View Post
    I've actually been open carrying for years now and I do carry some type of recorder at all times just in case. I do appreciate the advice as I am not perfect and do appreciate any new info that I can absorb. I've dealt with a lot of police over the years and I know first hand that your attitude can definitely sway the encounter in one way or another. Thanks again for your input. Stay safe and shoot straight
    Your attitude cannot sway any encounter. You either a) broke the law or b) did not.

My attitude is : get away from me you goon.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Your attitude cannot sway any encounter. You either a) broke the law or b) did not.

Sounds about right.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    In the Omaha ordinances, per the referenced municode , a concealable firearm is less than 26" in overall length. You may carry such firearm concealed only with a NE-issued permit. Must be a reason I have generally avoided this particular Unenlightened city.
    Where do you see the limitation to those "only with a NE-issued permit"?

The law, 20-206 (10), says "Persons possessing a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm under Nebraska Law" - which I interpret as applicable to anyone with a NE-recognized permit/license.

I'm still alive! I just had a lot of errands to run today lol. My experience actually wasn't half bad and I got to educate a few peopl on the topic so all in all it was a successful oc day.
    Glad to hear it!! <wipes brow>

Yep, it's always a good day when you get to be an ambassador/educator.

I understand what you're saying and you're right for the most part but I came up in a brutal city and the cops can be a bit different so I tend to be cautious when approached while oc'ing. I'm pro gun as **** and will continue oc'ing around here and omaha/Douglas county. The more we do it, the less it'll be an issue. Most people that are uncomfortable with oc have zero firearms knowledge and, as we all know, people tend to fear what they know nothing about instead of becoming educated on the topic. I'll update you guys if I have any run ins in the future. Stay safe and shoot straight

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post

Not sure where you got that info but I know for a fact that Nebraska accepts quite a few out of state ccw/chl's. ive known quite a few people from out of state that carry in Omaha and have confirmed that it was ok with local authorities.

Banned
    I understand what you're saying and you're right for the most part but I came up in a brutal city and the cops can be a bit different so I tend to be cautious when approached while oc'ing. I'm pro gun as **** and will continue oc'ing around here and omaha/Douglas county. The more we do it, the less it'll be an issue. Most people that are uncomfortable with oc have zero firearms knowledge and, as we all know, people tend to fear what they know nothing about instead of becoming educated on the topic. I'll update you guys if I have any run ins in the future. Stay safe and shoot straight
    I tend to be more of an a---hole. Takes all kinds !

Recently I filed a complaint about a cop and next time I see him he's complaining how he won't be able to feed his kids if he loses his job. I just responded back that he should learn to hunt deer then. (what a smarty-pants answer).

My favorite and most frequent response to public officials is "Your mind reading powers are getting weak!" or "You're an idiot."

Mr. Armyvet19k,

Well said, and absolutely correct.

I don't know what your level of familiarity is with forums, but the longer you stay here on OCDO (OpenCarry Dot Org) and it certainly seems like you're off to a great start - you'll find that some people will engage you in conversation, some in disagreement, and some will just post to any and every thread, adding to nothing but their post count... if you get my drift.

I tend to be more of an a---hole. Takes all kinds !

Recently I filed a complaint about a cop and next time I see him he's complaining how he won't be able to feed his kids if he loses his job. I just responded back that he should learn to obey the law then. (what a smarty-pants answer).

My favorite and most frequent response to public officials is "Your mind reading powers are getting weak!" or "You're an idiot."
    That would have been my answer.
    Last edited by F350; 11-09-2015 at 01:44 PM.

I tend to be more of an a---hole.
    No!

Tell me it's not so!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Originally Posted by davidmcbeth

I tend to be more of an a---hole.
    No!
    Tell me it's not so!
    stay safe.
    I think there might be a personal assault there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    How do you assault the truth?????

I tend to be more of an a---hole. "
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    How do you assault the truth?????
    Personal assault was a play on the words/rule violation of personal insult. Had someone else made that statement, it would have crossed the line.

In this case, he called the shot himself.

Banned
    No!

Tell me it's not so!

stay safe.
    Only that way when people try to tread on me rights. Try to and expect some barking from this dog. If all did the same the public officials would stop messing with people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bHHBi6Cgc
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-11-2015 at 12:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast