Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: letter to Sheriff Urquhart re deputies attacking photographers . . .

Banned

letter to Sheriff Urquhart re deputies attacking photographers . . .

In case this is of interest . . .

Sheriff Urquhart,

I read local and national news websites many days of the week. Because of having been threatened on several occasions and assaulted a few times in the past few years, I also at times visit the gun rights forum at opencarry.org once in a while.

On one of my most recent visits at opencarry.org, in the Washington state area, there was a thread on the topic of Scott Shimek and his encounter with some unruly Pierce County and/or Tacoma city bus drivers and transit persons. Reading at that thread led me to learn more about Shimek. . . .

By the way, I understand that Shimek is a veteran of the Air Force and also at times he walks open carrying a handgun in a holster. Is it possible that Sergeant John Hall would have acted in an even more violent manner if Shimek had been in his vicinity while peacefully armed and perhaps photographing? Would Sergeant Hall have wished to draw and point his firearm at a peaceful veteran with a holstered firearm and a camera?

http://greenlakewalking.net/re-king-...photographers/

Quote Originally Posted by zaitz View Post
    Would Sergeant Hall have wished to draw and point his firearm at a peaceful veteran with a holstered firearm and a camera?
    Bold = Very irrelevant.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 11-08-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Bold = Very irrelevant.
    Not when speaking/writing to a politician.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

What is the point of this bizarre rambling letter that fails to reach a point? Does the writer have actual business before the King County Sheriff's Office, or is he just being a pest . . ?

As to the veteran reference: Are you suggesting that veterans be afforded special dispensation when exercising their rights? Rights that belong to all of us, not just veterans?

Even though I am a veteran, I fail to see what his veteran status has to do with anything. Kind of like when I watch TV, and they have to point out that so & so is a single mother. Guess what? I'm a veteran, and a single father! Has absolutely nothing to do with my method of carry. Goes along with race, sexual orientation, creed, and so on. Not relevant. Rant complete.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Not when speaking/writing to a politician.
    Only when a camera is turned on.

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

Banned
    Bold = Very irrelevant.
    A veteran is assumed to be trained in the safe use of firearms and a veteran who has been honorably discharged is assumed to be a more or less responsible citizen.

A veteran is assumed to be trained in the safe use of firearms and a veteran who has been honorably discharged is assumed to be a more or less responsible citizen.
    I've seen too many exceptions to those assumptions.

Assuming makes a mule out of...

Military weapons training for the average vet is a joke. Most vets had no direct combat role.

Most vets are humans, subject to the human condition and just as likely to be scum as a person working any job.

Uncle Sam is a notoriously bad judge of everything... Including character.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-f...ary-myths.html
    "About 80 percent of the jobs in the military are non-combat occupations."
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 11-09-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Dissing veterans are we?

I've seen too many exceptions to those assumptions.

Assuming makes a mule out of...

Military weapons training for the average vet is a joke. Most vets had no direct combat role.

Most vets are humans, subject to the human condition and just as likely to be scum as a person working any job.

Uncle Sam is a notoriously bad judge of anything... Including character.
    Weapons training for us in the Viet Nam era wasn't a joke. Still using what I learned then today. Granted, I did serve in combat but some great people highly trained didn't. So what! Human scum? Are you for real? I doubt you carry as you don't have enough respect for yourself let alone be respectful of others and the weapon. Uncle Sam does make mistakes such as allowing people like you to bad mouth the very people who provided the very freedoms you choose to insult. Shame on you. grow up. Get a life..... hopefully out of country.
    Last edited by John adams; 11-09-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John adams View Post
    Weapons training for us in the Viet Nam era wasn't a joke. Still using what I learned then today. Granted, I did serve in combat but some great people highly trained didn't. So what! Human scum? Are you for real? I doubt you carry as you don't have enough respect for yourself let alone be respectful of others and the weapon. Uncle Sam does make mistakes such as allowing people like you to bad mouth the very people who provided the very freedoms you choose to insult. Shame on you. grow up. Get a life..... hopefully out of country.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-g...litary-2011-10
    The report says the military has seen members from 53 gangs and 100 regions in the U.S. enlist in every branch of the armed forces. Members of every major street gang, some prison gangs, and outlaw motorcycle gangs (OMGs) have been reported on both U.S. and international military installations.

the very people who provided the very freedoms

The 'military' does not 'provide' freedoms.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...orts/19883155/
    20,000 service members said they had experienced at least one incident of unwanted sexual contact in the past year, representing nearly 5 percent of all active-duty women and 1 percent of active-duty men.... new survey methodology used by the Rand Corp. found that many of the 20,000 assaults in 2014 were not "unwanted sexual contact" — a phrase the Pentagon uses to describe any incident of unsolicited and unwanted sexual behavior — they were violent, probing acts.

Nearly half the assaults reported by women and 35 percent reported by men were "penetrative sexual assaults" — crimes that include rape and penetration with an object.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...agon/?page=all
    “Rates of military sexual trauma among men who served in the military may be as much as 15 times higher than has been previously reported

I am a Viet Nam Era veteran with six years active duty and four years sea time, that retired after 25+ years DoD/DoN. You may be armed as you allude and you may exercise your First Amendment Right. I will exercise my First Amendment Freedom of Association and SHUN ICKY *PLONK*.

How about sign up with a different and more honest username. You ain't no John Adams.

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and guns and The Truth. God Bless US Bitter Clingers.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/military...to-fill-ranks/
    The longer the war continues, the harder it's proving to fill the U.S. Army's ranks. A strong economy also means there are easier jobs around.

So the Army is accepting a growing number of new recruits with everythging from health and weight issues to lower academic test scores to criminal records.

The number of incoming soldiers with prior felony arrests or convictions has more than tripled in the past five years.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 11-09-2015 at 09:48 AM.

The Vietnam police action, did NOTHING to defend our freedom. Based on the fact that there was a draft, I would conclude that it helped destroy pur freedom. There are many other facts, like the factbm that the government lied about the gulf of Tonkin to get some public backing for said police action.

As a veteran, I will say that our soldiers do nothing to defend our freedom. That the Vietnam vets did nothing to defend our freedom and infact only ended up helping destroy it with the anti-drug laws that are being used to help the CIA sell drugs on the black market thus creating more violence in thr drug trade and a black ops fund for the CIA.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, that USAF vet did not defend the constitution. When I am videotaping or photographing, I continue to do so regardless of any illegal commands by the po po.
    A lot of civilian police are former military.

Their military experience taught them to ignore Constitutional Rights.

They just be bringing that sweet attitude of 'freedom' back home with them, and taking it out on their fellow Americans.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 11-09-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A guy who likes tilting at windmills
    Dear Sheriff Urquhart,

I'm a voter who lives within your district.

• It has been brought to my attention that the honorable Scott Shimek was possibly assaulted by a Pierce County Transit employee. [editorial advice: pick 1 instigator]

• It is my understanding the responding officer, Sargent John Hall, aimed a loaded firearm at Scott Shimek without lawful cause.

• As your constituent I am alarmed by this incident. As a military veteran who has sacrificed so much for our country, Mr. Shimek does not deserve to be treated in such a manner by our police and transit personnel.

I would like to hear from you about how this issue is being resolved via administrative actions and training updates.

Sincerely,

Someone who is literate enough to write a SHORT letter that might actually get read.

CC: Staff reporter Seattle Times
    CC: ACLU Seattle office
    CC: University of Washington Department of Racial Justice
    CC: Washington State Attorney Generals Office
    CC: Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission Basic Law Enforcement Academy
    CC: MP department at Joint base whatever the heck it's called these days
    CC: Base Commander at Joint base blah blah.
    CC: pick a big law firm in Seattle with a history of suing the police
    I'd suggest a re-write. Short, concise, with a 'call to action' (i.e. ask him to actually DO something).

Then CC it (or fake CCing it) to a whole bunch of places that a father of possible sex offending runaways might care about. That was him right? Run away adopted daughter, sex offender adopted son, etc. If so, he seems like a real stand-up Sheriff with a stand-up set of family values.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 11-09-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Banned
    A lot of civilian police are former military.

Their military experience taught them to ignore Constitutional Rights.

They just be bringing that sweet attitude of 'freedom' back home with them, and taking it out on their fellow Americans.
    I think Katrina reinforces this conclusion. Its valid for me.

Banned
    I'd suggest a re-write. Short, concise, with a 'call to action' (i.e. ask him to actually DO something).

Then CC it (or fake CCing it) to a whole bunch of places that a father of possible sex offending runaways might care about. That was him right? Run away adopted daughter, sex offender adopted son, etc. If so, he seems like a real stand-up Sheriff with a stand-up set of family values.
    The incident at the Pierce county bus stop and the incident at the Burien location in which Sgt John Hall assaulted Scott Shimek are 2 completely different and unrelated incidents.

The Burien incident is much worse, because the "police" assaulted, arrested and caused charges to be brought against Shimek and then it appears that they told falsehoods on the stand about their interaction and reasons for acting.

In the Pierce county incident, at least the police mosty left Shimek alone and informed him that the other person attacking him was being cited somehow.

The Burien incident is bad because it appears to include an assault on 1st amendment freedom. Moreover, the local prosecuting attn did not even file any charges in the case till 5 months after the arrest and coincidentally, just a few days after Shimek asked for his memory card or its equivalent to be returned to him.

Also, the "call to action" of my letter is
    1) please confirm, deny or clarify any of the offending details in this account, such as using a live taser as a flashlight and kicking Shimek in the knees;
    2) please inform me as to what conversations you have had with sgt hall about such things as using a live taser as a flashlight.
    Last edited by zaitz; 11-09-2015 at 12:03 PM.

The incident at the Pierce county bus stop and the incident at the Burien location in which Sgt John Hall assaulted Scott Shimek are 2 completely different and unrelated incidents.

The Burien incident is much worse, because the "police" assaulted, arrested and caused charges to be brought against Shimek and then it appears that they told falsehoods on the stand about their interaction and reasons for acting.

In the Pierce county incident, at least the police mosty left Shimek alone and informed him that the other person attacking him was being cited somehow.

The Burien incident is bad because it appears to include an assault on 1st amendment freedom. Moreover, the local prosecuting attn did not even file any charges in the case till 5 months after the arrest and coincidentally, just a few days after Shimek asked for his memory card or its equivalent to be returned to him.

Also, the "call to action" of my letter is
    1) please confirm, deny or clarify any of the offending details in this account, such as using a live taser as a flashlight and kicking Shimek in the knees;
    2) please inform me as to what conversations you have had with sgt hall about such things as using a live taser as a flashlight.

Yeah I didn't do your fact research for you. That was a SAMPLE letter. Short, coherent, and with an actual point.

http://greenlakewalking.net/re-king-...photographers/

^ that letter is round can material.

3 short paragraphs MAXIMUM.

1 short bullet list MAXIMUM

Skip all the personal, family, religious stuff.

Change your website background from Bikini girl, to idk, trees. Cars. Stacked firewood. Friends don't let friends 'Myspace' their website design.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, that USAF vet did not defend the constitution. When I am videotaping or photographing, I continue to do so regardless of any illegal commands by the po po. And I make it clear that if they want to go home that night that they do not interrupt my first amendment rights. Then they leave me alone.

Here is a pic of a town employee who took my tripod recently, saying that I could not take pics of town property. Guess what? I got my tripod back in about 30 seconds. Oddly enough, she did not touch my tripod again. And I took my pics.
    I'd be happy to have you join or visit the Seattle area from time to time!

If and when I am better off financially, I will invite you with funding, if you wish . . . but that may be a few years away!

z

Maybe - maybe not. But none of that is criteria for the state affording any citizen "equal protection under the law" which encompasses everything from discretion of the police officer on the street to treatment in a court of law.

who provided the very freedoms you choose to insult.

Provided? You can't provide, or protect, something that will exist whether you live or die.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So how is Joe Deputy supposed to tell who is and who isn't a veteran before he/she gives them the special consideration that you believe they deserve?
    Of course by demanding to see your ID for doing nothing more then lawfully carrying a firearm.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast