Thread: Sotomayor: “By sanctioning a ‘shoot first, think later’ approach to policing, ..."

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Sotomayor: “By sanctioning a ‘shoot first, think later’ approach to policing, ..."

SCOTUS: Not clearly established deadly force could not be used on suspect fleeing at high speed who threatened to shoot officers; Sotomayor: “By sanctioning a ‘shoot first, think later’ approach to policing, the Court renders the protections of the Fourth Amendment hollow.”

A wise Latina indeed.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

White Oak Plantation
    Terry v. Ohio was the hollowing of the 4A.

Wise? Not really.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Founder's Club Member
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Terry v. Ohio was the hollowing of the 4A.

Wise? Not really.

And, I agree Sotomayor was not any special wise.

Nonetheless, I gotta kinda be a tiny little bit thankful she sided with rights. God knows, she's pretty anti-liberty. I'll take what I can get.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Kalamazoo, MI
    The real problem here is the ruling on use of qualified immunity. There's a very fine line that needs to be drawn through the middle of the argument.

On the one hand, you have incidents like what happened in Marksville, Louisiana, where the cops killed a 6 yr old for no reason. On the other, you have the ones like Mullenix/Leija or the Todd Kirkpatrick's of the world where the criminals and/or their friends and relatives know they're guilty but still try to turn them into innocent victims so they could get a payday.

I don't think that SCOTUS got it right in the fact that of making it tougher for these cases to go forward, BUT in this specific case, they were correct in saying there was no real basis for the lawsuit. There should be a better defined, not tougher, set of standards that need to be reached before the cases can be heard, and currently there isn't.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788