• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this legal open carry

Crs

New to nevada. Can I open carry with a inside the waist band holster with just the butt of my weapon in veiw?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
New to nevada. Can I open carry with a inside the waist band holster with just the butt of my weapon in veiw?

Yes.

These are questions better asked in the individual state forums, but you got lucky. Welcome to Nevada, and to OCDO!

Now, personally, I avoid it, because you get all the discomfort of concealed carry while trying to enjoy only the legal freedom of open carry. There may also be perception issues which can come into play on private property. Someone might take issue with what they feel is an exposed concealed firearm, whereas have no issue with an obvious gun in an exposed holster. On their property, their feelings count.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
...Is anyone going to answer the OP's query?

Didn't I?
Almost.

Not withstanding the difference in can I (ability) and may I (legally), IMO a more specific response would be of benefit = statute or case law.

You gave a personal opinion w/o those references.

The carry of a holstered handgun in a manner to allow the viewer the opportunity to recognize the existence of a handgun passes the test.

Nevada's preemption statute, which also struck down the previously grandfathered Clark County ordinance, delineates that neither the state nor local municipalities can infringe on this right. Note that there are some simple limitations/restrictions - become familiar with the specifics.
http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2015/06/breaking-news-blue-cards-and-local-laws.html

Basic is that one must be at least 18 yo to carry and if asked to leave, you risk a trespass charge for not doing so immediately. Resolve the problem after the fact from the comfort of your home/office.

My short simple, direct answer would be, " Yes you can." but IMO it demanded more.

Last edited:

qednick

Yes.
Now, personally, I avoid it, because you get all the discomfort of concealed carry while trying to enjoy only the legal freedom of open carry. ...

I definitely concur with that point!

Don't be shy, wear it proud and let everyone know it's totally legal to OC in Nevada!!

The Big Guy

Almost.

Not withstanding the difference in can I (ability) and may I (legally), IMO a more specific response would be of benefit = statute or case law.

You gave a personal opinion w/o those references.

The carry of a holstered handgun in a manner to allow the viewer the opportunity to recognize the existence of a handgun passes the test.

Nevada's preemption statute, which also struck down the previously grandfathered Clark County ordinance, delineates that neither the state nor local municipalities can infringe on this right. Note that there are some simple limitations/restrictions - become familiar with the specifics.
http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2015/06/breaking-news-blue-cards-and-local-laws.html

Basic is that one must be at least 18 yo to carry and if asked to leave, you risk a trespass charge for not doing so immediately. Resolve the problem after the fact from the comfort of your home/office.

My short simple, direct answer would be, " Yes you can." but IMO it demanded more.

I'm guessing that most people on here would take "YES" as a very direct answer. Secondly in my opinion most folks on this forum would take Mac's simple answer to a simple question at face value. I certainly do.

As far as the wording of state statute stating 'by ordinary observation' it could still be left to interpretation.

Sometimes experience trumps wording.

TBG

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm guessing that most people on here would take "YES" as a very direct answer. Secondly in my opinion most folks on this forum would take Mac's simple answer to a simple question at face value. I certainly do.

As far as the wording of state statute stating 'by ordinary observation' it could still be left to interpretation.

Sometimes experience trumps wording.

TBG
There was no intent on my part to put Mac down. If it seemed so, I apologize.

I doubt that the OP is as experienced and knowledgeable as "most folks on this forum." A clue can be derived from the simple act of his posing the question. His post count renders him a blank slate to us.

I have found no court tests of the phrase "by ordinary observation;" hence, conclude that there are few (none?) and that the dictionary definition of the words would prevail.

If the OP is eligible for it, a permit to conceal would solve the problem either way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Once again amazed at how a mod steps in on something so simple as this --snipped--
Come, come now. Please do not read more into my posting than is evident. It should be obvious that I was not moderating.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Yes.

These are questions better asked in the individual state forums, but you got lucky. Welcome to Nevada, and to OCDO!

Now, personally, I avoid it, because you get all the discomfort of concealed carry while trying to enjoy only the legal freedom of open carry. There may also be perception issues which can come into play on private property. Someone might take issue with what they feel is an exposed concealed firearm, whereas have no issue with an obvious gun in an exposed holster. On their property, their feelings count.

I have never felt "comfortable" with a cc holster. They are made to hide inside. I am too skinny to add that much bulk in my waist
band. Just more comfortable and a much better variety to the OC holster.

The OP may not have scrolled down far enough to find "stories from the States" on the forum. Just one post, he may be lost out in the electrons.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...If the OP is eligible for it, a permit to conceal would solve the problem either way.

There is no legal problem, so it doesn't solve that. And it does nothing for the potential hassle problem.

To reiterate, it's legal. It is still clearly a firearm by "ordinary observation," which is the criteria used in the state of Nevada.

28kfps

I too thought Yes was a good answer. One thing appears to be the norm regulators like to regulate. I fell better now that I got involved in the drama form a single posting from a one time poster.