• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this bill something to worry about or just hype

Law abider

This ban does not apply to.... any law enforcement officer or armed forces or military personnel while on official duty, to a licensed importer or manufacturer of semiautomatic
assault weapons, or to a firearms dealer who is authorized to sell semiautomatic assault weapons.

Now we have winners and losers or first class and second class citizens. Besides what will semi auto deals do if we can't buy an 'assault' weapon. A semi auto handgun is an assault weapon. My friend carries 5-6 clips when he was on duty. So 10 rounds times 6 clips=60 rounds. Rep Stubeck needs to be challenged on this stupidity!:banghead:

notalawyer

Only took a couple days for her to 'realize' she's an idiot:

UPDATE:

In response to the swift backlash against her proposed legislation, Representative Lisa Subeck (D-Madison) has acknowledged the bill goes too far.

“After receiving feedback from some of our colleagues regarding the circulation of a preliminary draft banning semiautomatic assault weapons, the other authors of the bill and I have determined that we will work with the Legislative Reference Bureau to make some revisions to the draft bill to address some concerns that have been raised,” Subeck admitted via email.

“While LRB 3635 was not intended to impair Wisconsin’s rich hunting heritage and those who annually participate in it, our state does need to have a serious and meaningful conversation about gun violence,” she wrote. “We will be working with the Legislative Reference Bureau, Legislative Council, and others to ensure that a future bill draft corrects any drafting errors and unintended oversights to ensure more consistency with our current hunting and sporting regulations.”
http://bearingarms.com/wi-dems-proposed-gun-ban/

Wstar425

The re-crafting of the bill has begun.

Ha! Drafting errors and unintended oversights.............

I was the Treasurer for a church for a while. I POURED over any report I put out as I felt if there was ONE mistake in it, how could you be sure that ANY thing else was accurate .

If I had only know about drafting errors and unintended oversights my job would have been so much simpler. I tend to think this might have been more of an INTENDED oversight, that blew up in her face.

There was another post on this and discussed at some length, but I don't think we can beat up on her bad enough to get what she deserves.

Wstar425

Do you read so closely so critically here, or why not?

No, numbers are numbers, disregarding Common Core.

Words can mean several things and be taken to mean different things, especially without the benefit of hearing it in spoken form. Plus, I'm usually typing on a small screen on my phone. Extra Plus, here lately it seems like there are lots of people on this site just looking for nits to pick.

Have a good weekend!

Wstar425

That's kind'a my point. Are drafting errors mere nits to pick, or is the imprecise written word just a nit?

Your point is kind'a lost on me, sorry. No, to both your questions. If you disagree I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Does a bill presented to the WI Legislature, a financial report presented to a local church finance committee, and a response to a post on a forum all require the same amount of proofreading and verification?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
You should support the bill. Let it become law. Laws like this will soon be upon everyone. After the law is passed, fight it.

Wstar425

I wrote town ordinances while I was a town supervisor (board member), they were perfect in the format that I was required to use. In my career I wrote tens of thousands of pages or reactor plant test operating instructions and they were perfect or not approved. In college underclass seminar worth 18 hours per semester I wrote about 500 - 1000 pages of essay per month and the English/grammar tutor looved to slit his wrists over them.

Accounting reports in this household are generated by an accounting program, including for the church, and they are perfect every time.

I write here off the top of my head, but verify my recollections after the fact, and you are welcome to proofread my work and fact check it. I left Charleston, SC with an inch high stack of pro-gun activist letters to the editor, on the public editor's desk and unpublished, that were carefully written to be un-editable. A word or sentence edited out would be clearly obvious and nonsensical.

I am responsible for my communication, but am very aware of the credibility of my critics. I haven't counted the entries on my ignore list, but it must be approaching a hundred -- critics.

So, is that a No?

Or a yes?

To be honest, I have no clue.