Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ccdw

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    1

    Ccdw

    Question about concealment license:

    I have a concealment license. Can I still open carry in Kentucky?
    Last edited by mike slack; 11-14-2015 at 10:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by mike slack View Post
    Question about concealment license:

    I have a concealment license. Can I still open carry in Kentucky?
    Your CCDW allows you to carry concealed - it does not mandate that you do so. Your choice.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by mike slack View Post
    Question about concealment license:

    I have a concealment license. Can I still open carry in Kentucky?
    The perfect place to put this question, which has already been capably answered (except you, Mr. Slack, ought to know it's called a CDWL, but I digress), is in the KY forum here at OCDO (Open Carry Dot Org).
    Last edited by BB62; 11-14-2015 at 09:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    The perfect place to put this question, which has already been capably answered (except you, Mr. Slack, ought to know it's called a CDWL, but I digress), is in the KY forum here at OCDO (Open Carry Dot Org).
    That's interesting because even the Kentucky State Police call it a CCDW.
    http://kentuckystatepolice.org/ccdw/qualifications.html

    Did move the thread to the KY forum - missed that earlier.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That's interesting because even the Kentucky State Police call it a CCDW.
    http://kentuckystatepolice.org/ccdw/qualifications.html

    ...
    Yeah, various Ohio agencies do the same sort of thing with our license.

    Here's a sample KY CDWL: http://www.usacarry.com/kentucky_con...formation.html


    Here's what I believe is an accurate list of the DW covered:

    Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.

    Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
    Billy, nightstick, or club.
    Blackjack or slapjack.
    Nunchaku karate sticks.
    Shiriken or death star.
    Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.

    from http://bullitt.kysheriff.org/?page_id=41

    I'm a death star man myself! ;-)
    Last edited by BB62; 11-15-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added weapon list

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    ...If you were carrying concealed and encountered a legitimate "No Concealed Weapons Allowed" sign. You could just remove your jacket or otherwise uncover you weapons and continue on past the sign.
    To the OP:

    Being mindful of the fact that you may be asked to leave private premises for doing so, and if you refuse, cited. (I don't know the particulars beyond that, however)

    Then of course there are the statutory off-limits places, which I'm still working on retaining.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    If you have a driver's license, are you still allowed to be a passenger?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    If you have a driver's license, are you still allowed to be a passenger?
    This is close to my go-to response to the OP's question. I usually say "are you suddenly no longer allowed to walk to where you're going?", but I think Mac's version is a closer analogy.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1
    I got my CCDW a short time back and when picking up my license I just happened to grab a pamphlet from the Jefferson county sheriff's office about Conceal Carry. In it it states where you are not allowed to conceal carry and one of those places listed is churches. It appears to be almost a cut and paste from the KSP website except for the on one paragraph.

    I've looked and I can't find anything about churches in the KRS. I thought churches are just like any other business. Am I missing something or is the pamphlet incorrect?


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449355899.055919.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	12882


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by docd View Post
    I got my CCDW a short time back and when picking up my license I just happened to grab a pamphlet from the Jefferson county sheriff's office about Conceal Carry. In it it states where you are not allowed to conceal carry and one of those places listed is churches. It appears to be almost a cut and paste from the KSP website except for the on one paragraph.

    I've looked and I can't find anything about churches in the KRS. I thought churches are just like any other business. Am I missing something or is the pamphlet incorrect?


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449355899.055919.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	12882

    No such restriction - even the antis agree on that.

    Kentucky has no statutes prohibiting firearms in:
    • Hospitals;
    • Places of worship;
    • Sports arenas;
    • Gambling facilities; or
    • Polling places.

    http://smartgunlaws.org/other-locati...s-in-kentucky/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-05-2015 at 08:50 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •