Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Age to Open Carry In Virginia

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12

    Age to Open Carry In Virginia

    Hello, I am just new to this site. My main question tonight is, what is the age requirement to open carry a handgun in VA? I am 19 years old, found a few old posts on here and compared them to some VA statues I found online, attached and read as:

    ****As noted above, those under the age of 21 are prohibited by federal law from purchasing handguns from a licensed dealer by the provisions of 18 USC 922(b)(1).

    However, there is no prohibition under Virginia law preventing someone 18 years of age or older from acquiring a handgun via a private sale.

    Therefore, it is perfectly legal for someone 18 to 20 years of age, who is otherwise not prohibited from possessing firearms, to acquire one via a private sale.***

    With that being said, I have since turning 18, privately purchased two handguns from a friend I am employed with, according to these, and what we have been told by others, is perfectly legal. So it dawned on me, with the ever so changing world, with the threats we face every day, why should I not be allowed to carry a gun on me?

    Now, I don't want to seem like the "crazed young kid" guns have always been apart of my life, ever since I was younger. When I turned 18, i went out and purchased my first AR15. I love guns, and love the fact knowing i can defend myself and those i live with.. but before recently, it was a "only at home" defense.

    Earlier tonight i decided to start researching, and found this forum, and to be straight up honest, I choose to do this tonight because of what has happened over seas last night. There are ever so growing threats, everywhere in our world. So i researched the open carry laws, and found attached and read:

    ****Virginia is an unlicensed open carry state. Additionally, there is no prohibition under Virginia law preventing someone 18 years of age or older from openly carrying a legally-owned handgun.

    The only disability that applies to those 18 to 20 years of age is an inability to apply for, and receive, a Virginia concealed handgun permit (CHP). 18.2-308.02 of the Code of Virginia limits this to those 21 years of age or older.***

    This clearly states that I, being 19, can in fact open carry one of my handguns. I currently have two, a sub-compact S&W .40 M&P, and last night also purchased my second, a Glock 17 9mm.

    I wish to verify, (before attempting of course) that this info is in fact the law and is legal for me to do. With my glock 17, it came with a holster, from which i can find, is considered open carry as long as my shirt or sweatshirt is not covering it at ANY time. And at anytime in my vehicles, as long as it is in open, plain sight.

    Thank you all, and i hope to not be too stupid with these questions. i hope as which i have asked them as precise as i can.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    This would be a state specific question.

    It should have been posted in the Virginia sub forum.

    Best of luck, we have very knowledgeable members in your area.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk



    --Moderator note-- Moved it to Va. & deleted duplicate post.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-15-2015 at 07:15 AM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Yes Paul you can OC in Virginia w/o a CHP (permit) and your research has been accurate, leading you to the right conclusions.

    For a simple list of where you may and may not carry in our state you may want to download and print this.

    Welcome aboard OCDO. Recommend subscribing to the Va-Alert to stay current on what is happening throughout the Commonwealth.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Awesome, just wanted to double check. I know all this stuff about buying and owning handguns with people 18-21 in our state is a grey area that many people tend to not know facts. The OC part I did not know myself, so thanks for getting this cleared up for me. It will be nice knowing this, now that I'm aware the legal age is 18 to do it. Thanks, grapeshot

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Welcome Paul you well find a lot on nice folks here
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Welcome Paul you well find a lot on nice folks here
    Thanks! Always happy to join a community of gun lovers. I see a lot of people here are very helpful with facts and our rights in this country.

  7. #7
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    You can conceal your sidearm in your vehicle without a CHP in Virginia. It has to be secure (this does not mean locked) in a location such as your glovebox or your center console. You may also open carry your sidearm on your person, a seat*, or resting in a cup holder. If you put your sidearm on a seat or in a cup holder, just make sure it is visible, as you would if on your person.


    * Seat is a bad idea since in a sudden stop, your firearm is likely to wind up on the floorboard.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    You can conceal your sidearm in your vehicle without a CHP in Virginia. It has to be secure (this does not mean locked) in a location such as your glovebox or your center console. You may also open carry your sidearm on your person, a seat*, or resting in a cup holder. If you put your sidearm on a seat or in a cup holder, just make sure it is visible, as you would if on your person.


    * Seat is a bad idea since in a sudden stop, your firearm is likely to wind up on the floorboard.
    Thanks for the info! I have ran across the the statement, "if its open when outside the car, its still considered open in the car" is this true? say for example i had a holster, not covered by shirt while out of my car, then proceeded to get in the car, but not take it from the holster. I'm seeing even though with my seat belt on, and with the console where it is, that it's still considered open.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Painter View Post
    Thanks for the info! I have ran across the the statement, "if its open when outside the car, its still considered open in the car" is this true? say for example i had a holster, not covered by shirt while out of my car, then proceeded to get in the car, but not take it from the holster. I'm seeing even though with my seat belt on, and with the console where it is, that it's still considered open.

    Thanks
    It is how you are carrying it that counts (not covering it with a garment). Not whether anything incidental to your carry blocks the view of it.

    The vehicle door blocks the view as does a tree, fence, wall, or your position in a restaurant booth. If standing in the middle of any empty parking lot on a turntable you are OCing, then so too are you OCing in any and all of the aforementioned circumstances.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-15-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It is how you are carrying it that counts (not covering it with a garment). Not whether anything incidental to your carry blocks the view of it.

    The vehicle door blocks the view as does a tree, fence, wall, or your position in a restaurant booth. If standing in the middle of any empty parking lot on a turntable you are OCing, then so too are you OCing in any and all of the aforementioned circumstances.
    Thanks for the clarification grapeshot, today was my first day doing open carry, and as I only actually had it on my side one time out of the car (just had a holster in a few stores I went in) I can tell it surely drew attention, but none of it I could tell was "negative" attention. So far so good I would say.

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Painter View Post
    Thanks for the clarification grapeshot, today was my first day doing open carry, and as I only actually had it on my side one time out of the car (just had a holster in a few stores I went in) I can tell it surely drew attention, but none of it I could tell was "negative" attention. So far so good I would say.
    The more that you OC, the easier it will become. Also walking with an experience OCer has profound benefits.

    You will find that your situational awareness will become more acute. You will learn to use windows, glass covered pictures, and display cases as reflecting agents. When in a check out line, your holstered handgun will provide a convenient elbow rest. There are many subtle tricks of the trade.

    Most all of us carry digital recorders 24/7 when out and about. Just like our handguns, they are a measure of insurance which we hope to never need.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The more that you OC, the easier it will become. Also walking with an experience OCer has profound benefits.

    You will find that your situational awareness will become more acute. You will learn to use windows, glass covered pictures, and display cases as reflecting agents. When in a check out line, your holstered handgun will provide a convenient elbow rest. There are many subtle tricks of the trade.

    Most all of us carry digital recorders 24/7 when out and about. Just like our handguns, they are a measure of insurance which we hope to never need.
    Right, and I believe it will, and sure I will learn to use more of everyday objects to further investigate my surroundings. Today I've just tried to act as natural as possible, regardless of the stares and looks. I never let it get to me of aknowledged it. A lot of people think that when they see a gun, it's automatically sent to their brain that whoever has it, is there to hurt them and someone else, and I know I'm not the only one in my area the OCs, but I still hope to be apart of the impact that shows people not everyone with a gun is out to get someone.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    242
    are you using a retention holster? not required, but most everybody here does. thumb-break strap, push-button trigger guard latch, etc.

    btw, when not going to/from work, i'm always carrying. usually open.
    Last edited by hafnhaf; 11-16-2015 at 11:34 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by hafnhaf View Post
    are you using a retention holster? not required, but most everybody here does. thumb-break strap, push-button trigger guard latch, etc.

    btw, when not going to/from work, i'm always carrying. usually open.
    The holster I am using just has a index finger latch, but yes, unless I am in my vehicles, I use the holster. Otherwise it's in the cupholder

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Not sure where you are....

    If you are near one of the Open Carry Dinner sites, be sure to come out and meet people of like mind. Be sure you sign up for the VCDL alerts and plan to come out to Lobby Day in Richmond. Just remember that "IN" the General Assembly Building, a CHP is REQUIRED for any carry.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    If you are near one of the Open Carry Dinner sites, be sure to come out and meet people of like mind. Be sure you sign up for the VCDL alerts and plan to come out to Lobby Day in Richmond. Just remember that "IN" the General Assembly Building, a CHP is REQUIRED for any carry.
    Hmm not sure if I am or not. How may I look this info up to see if I'm near a dinner site or not?

  17. #17
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...p?130-Virginia

    here upper on left side of the va forum called VA events and off you go...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...p?130-Virginia

    here upper on left side of the va forum called VA events and off you go...

    ipse
    got it, thanks solus!

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...p?130-Virginia

    here upper on left side of the va forum called VA events and off you go...

    ipse
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Painter View Post
    got it, thanks solus!
    In Virginia we tend to use that sub-section as a history of past events.

    Planned/future meet n' greets for RVA (central Va) will be posted in the main Va sub-forum and highlighted with a red exclamation mark

    NoVa seldom makes such announcements - think they use Facebook.....to which I do not and will not subscribe.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    In Virginia we tend to use that sub-section as a history of past events.

    Planned/future meet n' greets for RVA (central Va) will be posted in the main Va sub-forum and highlighted with a red exclamation mark

    NoVa seldom makes such announcements - think they use Facebook.....to which I do not and will not subscribe.
    Thanks for the clarification grapeshot, I am in rockingham county so I'm not sure which category I would fall in

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Painter View Post
    Thanks for the clarification grapeshot, I am in rockingham county so I'm not sure which category I would fall in
    We'd welcome you at any of our Greater Richmond events - have breakfast every Sat, though location not posted until sometime Fri generally. Once a month (2nd Tues) we have a dinner.

    You could also initiate something in your area - build it and they will come. Pick a time and place - if others join you, great. If not at first, you are still out there and being seen - great pro advertising. You do eat out, right?

    Don't forget Lobby Day (1/18/16) at the General Assembly in Richmond - taking a stand for freedom.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    We'd welcome you at any of our Greater Richmond events - have breakfast every Sat, though location not posted until sometime Fri generally. Once a month (2nd Tues) we have a dinner.

    You could also initiate something in your area - build it and they will come. Pick a time and place - if others join you, great. If not at first, you are still out there and being seen - great pro advertising. You do eat out, right?

    Don't forget Lobby Day (1/18/16) at the General Assembly in Richmond - taking a stand for freedom.
    Haha yes I do! And sweet thanks, that is a good idea, surely something to consider starting

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    I confirm what's been said as to legality above, with one exception: you don't have to be eighteen to open carry as long as you're being directly supervised by a responsible adult. There is no minimum age to OWN a gun, but you have to be at least eighteen to be in POSSESSION of a gun except as noted. And, of course, you can't have been adjudicated insane, involuntarily committed, or voluntarily committed as a result of a temporary detention order, an illegal immigrant, a convicted felon, subject to a protective order, etc. "Openly carried" means carried in such a way that an interested observer who bothered to look would have seen the gun or enough of the gun to have a clear understanding of what's there. The alternative is "hidden from common observation". The intent to "hide" isn't required, the intent that's required is the intent to be in possession of the gun along with the fact that it isn't obvious to someone who's looking. "Possession" means on or about your person in such matter that you have the immediate power of dominion and control over the gun. And that's all I have to say about that.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •