• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to Open Carry In Virginia

Paul Painter

Hello, I am just new to this site. My main question tonight is, what is the age requirement to open carry a handgun in VA? I am 19 years old, found a few old posts on here and compared them to some VA statues I found online, attached and read as:

****As noted above, those under the age of 21 are prohibited by federal law from purchasing handguns from a licensed dealer by the provisions of 18 USC § 922(b)(1).

However, there is no prohibition under Virginia law preventing someone 18 years of age or older from acquiring a handgun via a private sale.

Therefore, it is perfectly legal for someone 18 to 20 years of age, who is otherwise not prohibited from possessing firearms, to acquire one via a private sale.***

With that being said, I have since turning 18, privately purchased two handguns from a friend I am employed with, according to these, and what we have been told by others, is perfectly legal. So it dawned on me, with the ever so changing world, with the threats we face every day, why should I not be allowed to carry a gun on me?

Now, I don't want to seem like the "crazed young kid" guns have always been apart of my life, ever since I was younger. When I turned 18, i went out and purchased my first AR15. I love guns, and love the fact knowing i can defend myself and those i live with.. but before recently, it was a "only at home" defense.

Earlier tonight i decided to start researching, and found this forum, and to be straight up honest, I choose to do this tonight because of what has happened over seas last night. There are ever so growing threats, everywhere in our world. So i researched the open carry laws, and found attached and read:

****Virginia is an unlicensed open carry state. Additionally, there is no prohibition under Virginia law preventing someone 18 years of age or older from openly carrying a legally-owned handgun.

The only disability that applies to those 18 to 20 years of age is an inability to apply for, and receive, a Virginia concealed handgun permit (CHP). § 18.2-308.02 of the Code of Virginia limits this to those 21 years of age or older.***

This clearly states that I, being 19, can in fact open carry one of my handguns. I currently have two, a sub-compact S&W .40 M&P, and last night also purchased my second, a Glock 17 9mm.

I wish to verify, (before attempting of course) that this info is in fact the law and is legal for me to do. With my glock 17, it came with a holster, from which i can find, is considered open carry as long as my shirt or sweatshirt is not covering it at ANY time. And at anytime in my vehicles, as long as it is in open, plain sight.

Thank you all, and i hope to not be too stupid with these questions. i hope as which i have asked them as precise as i can.

Freedom1Man

This would be a state specific question.

It should have been posted in the Virginia sub forum.

Best of luck, we have very knowledgeable members in your area.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

--Moderator note-- Moved it to Va. & deleted duplicate post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes Paul you can OC in Virginia w/o a CHP (permit) and your research has been accurate, leading you to the right conclusions.

For a simple list of where you may and may not carry in our state you may want to download and print this.

Welcome aboard OCDO. Recommend subscribing to the Va-Alert to stay current on what is happening throughout the Commonwealth.

Paul Painter

Awesome, just wanted to double check. I know all this stuff about buying and owning handguns with people 18-21 in our state is a grey area that many people tend to not know facts. The OC part I did not know myself, so thanks for getting this cleared up for me. It will be nice knowing this, now that I'm aware the legal age is 18 to do it. Thanks, grapeshot

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
You can conceal your sidearm in your vehicle without a CHP in Virginia. It has to be secure (this does not mean locked) in a location such as your glovebox or your center console. You may also open carry your sidearm on your person, a seat*, or resting in a cup holder. If you put your sidearm on a seat or in a cup holder, just make sure it is visible, as you would if on your person.

* Seat is a bad idea since in a sudden stop, your firearm is likely to wind up on the floorboard.

Paul Painter

You can conceal your sidearm in your vehicle without a CHP in Virginia. It has to be secure (this does not mean locked) in a location such as your glovebox or your center console. You may also open carry your sidearm on your person, a seat*, or resting in a cup holder. If you put your sidearm on a seat or in a cup holder, just make sure it is visible, as you would if on your person.

* Seat is a bad idea since in a sudden stop, your firearm is likely to wind up on the floorboard.

Thanks for the info! I have ran across the the statement, "if its open when outside the car, its still considered open in the car" is this true? say for example i had a holster, not covered by shirt while out of my car, then proceeded to get in the car, but not take it from the holster. I'm seeing even though with my seat belt on, and with the console where it is, that it's still considered open.

Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the info! I have ran across the the statement, "if its open when outside the car, its still considered open in the car" is this true? say for example i had a holster, not covered by shirt while out of my car, then proceeded to get in the car, but not take it from the holster. I'm seeing even though with my seat belt on, and with the console where it is, that it's still considered open.

Thanks
It is how you are carrying it that counts (not covering it with a garment). Not whether anything incidental to your carry blocks the view of it.

The vehicle door blocks the view as does a tree, fence, wall, or your position in a restaurant booth. If standing in the middle of any empty parking lot on a turntable you are OCing, then so too are you OCing in any and all of the aforementioned circumstances.

Last edited:

Paul Painter

It is how you are carrying it that counts (not covering it with a garment). Not whether anything incidental to your carry blocks the view of it.

The vehicle door blocks the view as does a tree, fence, wall, or your position in a restaurant booth. If standing in the middle of any empty parking lot on a turntable you are OCing, then so too are you OCing in any and all of the aforementioned circumstances.

Thanks for the clarification grapeshot, today was my first day doing open carry, and as I only actually had it on my side one time out of the car (just had a holster in a few stores I went in) I can tell it surely drew attention, but none of it I could tell was "negative" attention. So far so good I would say.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the clarification grapeshot, today was my first day doing open carry, and as I only actually had it on my side one time out of the car (just had a holster in a few stores I went in) I can tell it surely drew attention, but none of it I could tell was "negative" attention. So far so good I would say.
The more that you OC, the easier it will become. Also walking with an experience OCer has profound benefits.

You will find that your situational awareness will become more acute. You will learn to use windows, glass covered pictures, and display cases as reflecting agents. When in a check out line, your holstered handgun will provide a convenient elbow rest. There are many subtle tricks of the trade.

Most all of us carry digital recorders 24/7 when out and about. Just like our handguns, they are a measure of insurance which we hope to never need.

Paul Painter

The more that you OC, the easier it will become. Also walking with an experience OCer has profound benefits.

You will find that your situational awareness will become more acute. You will learn to use windows, glass covered pictures, and display cases as reflecting agents. When in a check out line, your holstered handgun will provide a convenient elbow rest. There are many subtle tricks of the trade.

Most all of us carry digital recorders 24/7 when out and about. Just like our handguns, they are a measure of insurance which we hope to never need.

Right, and I believe it will, and sure I will learn to use more of everyday objects to further investigate my surroundings. Today I've just tried to act as natural as possible, regardless of the stares and looks. I never let it get to me of aknowledged it. A lot of people think that when they see a gun, it's automatically sent to their brain that whoever has it, is there to hurt them and someone else, and I know I'm not the only one in my area the OCs, but I still hope to be apart of the impact that shows people not everyone with a gun is out to get someone.

hafnhaf

are you using a retention holster? not required, but most everybody here does. thumb-break strap, push-button trigger guard latch, etc.

btw, when not going to/from work, i'm always carrying. usually open.

Last edited:

Paul Painter

are you using a retention holster? not required, but most everybody here does. thumb-break strap, push-button trigger guard latch, etc.

btw, when not going to/from work, i'm always carrying. usually open.

The holster I am using just has a index finger latch, but yes, unless I am in my vehicles, I use the holster. Otherwise it's in the cupholder

The Wolfhound

Not sure where you are....

If you are near one of the Open Carry Dinner sites, be sure to come out and meet people of like mind. Be sure you sign up for the VCDL alerts and plan to come out to Lobby Day in Richmond. Just remember that "IN" the General Assembly Building, a CHP is REQUIRED for any carry.

Paul Painter

If you are near one of the Open Carry Dinner sites, be sure to come out and meet people of like mind. Be sure you sign up for the VCDL alerts and plan to come out to Lobby Day in Richmond. Just remember that "IN" the General Assembly Building, a CHP is REQUIRED for any carry.

Hmm not sure if I am or not. How may I look this info up to see if I'm near a dinner site or not?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-Virginia

here upper on left side of the va forum called VA events and off you go...

ipse

got it, thanks solus!
In Virginia we tend to use that sub-section as a history of past events.

Planned/future meet n' greets for RVA (central Va) will be posted in the main Va sub-forum and highlighted with a red exclamation mark
icon4.png

NoVa seldom makes such announcements - think they use Facebook.....to which I do not and will not subscribe.

Paul Painter

In Virginia we tend to use that sub-section as a history of past events.

Planned/future meet n' greets for RVA (central Va) will be posted in the main Va sub-forum and highlighted with a red exclamation mark
icon4.png

NoVa seldom makes such announcements - think they use Facebook.....to which I do not and will not subscribe.

Thanks for the clarification grapeshot, I am in rockingham county so I'm not sure which category I would fall in