Thread: Questions about open carry

Questions about open carry

Okay guys, I'm new to the whole open carry and all. I currently live in VA, where I am a resident. I have some family in WV, where I'm from. I know in my state, I'm legally allowed to purchase a handgun via private sale, or as a gift. (I'm 19). I also know in VA I am legally allowed to open carry, starting at age 18. My question is, I will be heading in to WV in a few weeks, and want to know if i am allowed to open carry even though I am not a resident (for self defense purposes only). I have found else where, (wether it's true or not) WV states you be 18 to open carry. But doesn't state wether that includes non-residents or not.

So - sorry if anything I included is wrong, it's just what I read and finally directed my question here to get the full on answer.

Thanks guys!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Painter View Post
    Okay guys, I'm new to the whole open carry and all. I currently live in VA, where I am a resident. I have some family in WV, where I'm from. I know in my state, I'm legally allowed to purchase a handgun via private sale, or as a gift. (I'm 19). I also know in VA I am legally allowed to open carry, starting at age 18. My question is, I will be heading in to WV in a few weeks, and want to know if i am allowed to open carry even though I am not a resident (for self defense purposes only). I have found else where, (wether it's true or not) WV states you be 18 to open carry. But doesn't state wether that includes non-residents or not.

So - sorry if anything I included is wrong, it's just what I read and finally directed my question here to get the full on answer.

Thanks guys!
    Welcome to OCDO!! (open carry dot org)

Well done on your own personal investigation so far. You are definitely a couple of notches above the usual new guy.

You might check the WV legislature website, or the WV state police website.

This is a little tricky. For example, "Absence of proof, is not proof of absence."

You will want to double-check any posts you read here.

Sorry, wish I could tell you more.

Nonetheless, welcome to OCDO. And, kudos for the investigating you've done so far.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Painter View Post

Thanks guys!
    In WV you can open carry at age 18, and since June 12th, 2015 you can now carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle if you don't have a permit.

You do NOT need to inform if pulled over that you have a handgun or concealed permit. You are allowed to go into places that serve alcohol with your firearm. Signs have no force of law in WV unless it is listed in state or federal code.