• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a good "Handgun Basics" in Clearfield area

b0neZ

Just as the title says, actually.

My new bride and my stepchildren are showing a huge interest in shooting, but none of them have ever squeezed a trigger on anything more than a squirt gun, except for one of my stepdaughters who is the top marksman in her school for air rifle.

They're not entirely unschooled, as they know the safety rules and such (always loaded, keep it pointed down range, etc), so I would like to get them to a good hands-on type class.

Would like to keep within a 10 mile radius of 84015 if possible.

I know I could search the net. I know the ranges around here, but I would prefer recommendations.

Thanks.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Appears as if you are fully able to be able to take them to a range and teach them how to shoot and to insure their safety.

What gun you planning on having them shoot?

b0neZ

Appears as if you are fully able to be able to take them to a range and teach them how to shoot and to insure their safety.

What gun you planning on having them shoot?
I have no 'small' caliber pieces to start them on, so they'll be out of the gate with .45 ACP 1911A1 and a Ruger P series in the same chamber.

I wish I had a .22 to start them on as a confidence builder.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have no 'small' caliber pieces to start them on, so they'll be out of the gate with .45 ACP 1911A1 and a Ruger P series in the same chamber.

I wish I had a .22 to start them on as a confidence builder.
.22 caliber conversions are available for .45acp semi autos - perhaps a friend as such a unit.

That and most ranges offer rental guns - simple solution.

b0neZ

.22 caliber conversions are available for .45acp semi autos - perhaps a friend as such a unit.

Good reminder on the rental option. Thanks.

Might look harder into a .22 conversion kit as well. I've been thinking about those for a while now.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

An AR is a good option. Rifle v. handgun ... a .22 lr AR if worried.

A 1911 .. probably not the best with std ammo.