Thread: Five Pawns sued. Vaping e-liquid flavors diacetyl, 2,3-pentanedione harm lungs.

Five Pawns sued. Vaping e-liquid flavors diacetyl, 2,3-pentanedione harm lungs.

Diacetyl and 2,3 pentanedione are hailed for their buttery taste and are added to everything from chips and candy to cream cheese and ice cream. They have been deemed safe to eat in trace amounts, but studies show they can be toxic when inhaled. The chemicals destroy the lungs' tiniest airways, leading to scar tissue buildup that blocks airflow.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/wat...351235631.html

How Butter-Flavored E-Cigs Are Fueling a Crucial Vaping Controversy
    Five Pawns is a high-end e-liquid manufacturer based in California. The company commissioned a lab to test its liquids as early as May of 2014. But the company didn’t release any results publicly until June of this year, after a UK-based e-cigarette retailer published its own lab results on Five Pawns products. Five Pawns ordered those results taken down via a cease and desist order, and wrote on its website that those tests were “fraudulent,” publishing its own lab results instead.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how...ng-controversy
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Chemicals physical properties can be completely different depending on physical state...

The FDA has their GRAS list but they don't "approve" any chemical. Generally, you can put whatever you want in food as long as it does not harm the consumer. That's the FDA standard, do no harm.

21 CFR 172.151 speaks of 2,3 pentanedione being used as a flavorant ... but it still must pass the do not harm standard too.

Major components of vaping solutions include propylene glycol and glycerin. Both are usually OK as a food additive. But vaping is totally different.

Since most people who vape also smoke I hate to think what sucking into the lungs organic solvents do to the material in the lung that normally would not be exposed to such solvents.

So I advise against vaping. But its their body, they can do what they want.

Good information to know for the public. A little personal responsibility of checking out materials you want to put into your body and their effects is what's called for, not government regulation.

In October, the Journal Sentinel exposed two cases of acute lung injuries that doctors said were tied to vaping. The news organization's investigation has also revealed that diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione are now risking the health of coffee workers across the country.
    OP linked story

Well, there you have it, all the proof we need, right? We'll see about this lawsuit...
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-18-2015 at 09:09 AM.

I'm reading this while at the same time vaping my own home made "juice". Glad I know exactly what goes into my stuff. As for people with "lung injuries" attributed to vaping, those are usually associated to vaping at really high temperatures. People that decide they want to vape 150+ watts. Put a 150 watt light bulb in your mouth and see how long you enjoy it.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    I'm reading this while at the same time vaping my own home made "juice". Glad I know exactly what goes into my stuff. As for people with "lung injuries" attributed to vaping, those are usually associated to vaping at really high temperatures. People that decide they want to vape 150+ watts. Put a 150 watt light bulb in your mouth and see how long you enjoy it.
    http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/200...al-cancer-risk
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Banned
    Observational studies, like this one, don't prove cause and effect. So it's not certain that hot or very hot tea caused esophageal cancer, or whether all hot drinks might have the same effect. From post..

Well, that solves that.

https://www.twoleavestea.com/water-temperature/

Green tea brewed at 170F ^^^