Thread: anyone recognize the weapon?

Banned

anyone recognize the weapon?

In a forum on law and poltics, people are discussing ISIS, the Kurds and Turkey. The news on cnn says that the Kurds weapons are old.

Does anyone recognize what rifle this is she is holding and perhaps how old it is? I assume it is not American made. She is reported to have killed 29 ISIS fighters. If she had some American rifles, how much more might she be killing? Does anyone wish to guess?

thanks!

Banned

does anyone recognize the weapon?

In a forum on law and poltics, people are discussing ISIS, the Kurds and Turkey. The news on cnn says that the Kurds weapons are old.

Does anyone recognize what rifle this is she is holding and perhaps how old it is? I assume it is not American made. She is reported to have killed 29 ISIS fighters. If she had some American rifles, how much more might she be killing? Does anyone wish to guess?

thanks!

Russian PKM 7.62X54mm Semi Auto Belt Fed

Why would you be prejudiced against Russian weapons? The Balanced Automatic Recoil System used in the AN-94 and derivatives is amazing! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN-94

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PK_machine_gun

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=russian+pk...ax=1&ia=images
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-20-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Last edited by Nightmare; 11-20-2015 at 07:09 PM.

It's a PKM. I've got personal experience with them. Unmistakable.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Why would you be prejudiced against Russian weapons? The Balanced Automatic Recoil System used in the AN-94 and derivatives is amazing! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN-94

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PK_machine_gun

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=russian+pk...ax=1&ia=images
    Thanks; no problem . . . I have no prejudice and wish to learn!

I would love to have a PKM!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I figured that his username was a nod to, or cachet claim from, Hero of The Soviet Union Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev (1915 - 1991).

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    The Russian PKM is a very capable weapon. I doubt that she is under gunned. Old does not mean obsolete. There may be newer, lighter, more powerful, less powerful and better looking weapons available, but the people that were killed with a PKM are still dead. A properly maintained PKM could kill many more. I could think of many weapons I would pass over to get a PKM. The 7.62 X 54R cartridge is more powerful that the 7.62 X 51(.308) NATO. It is closer to the US 7.62X53 (30-06). What US weapon would you suggest to replace this PKM? M 249? Not me.
    Gutshot makes a good point, with the exception that the M249 SAW is not in the same class as the PKM, or the M60 (which has been replaced by the M240). The SAW is chambered in 5.56, which obviously limits its range and penetration potential.

Apparently PK (K as in Kalashnikov) derivatives are still in production and the PKM should not be thought old any more than the M249 derived from the 'Minimi' of 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    The Russian PKM is a very capable weapon. I doubt that she is under gunned. Old does not mean obsolete. There may be newer, lighter, more powerful, less powerful and better looking weapons available, but the people that were killed with a PKM are still dead. A properly maintained PKM could kill many more. I could think of many weapons I would pass over to get a PKM. The 7.62 X 54R cartridge is more powerful that the 7.62 X 51(.308) NATO. It is closer to the US 7.62X53 (30-06). What US weapon would you suggest to replace this PKM? M 249? Not me.
    I know that the 7.62x54R is a nasty round. I would hate to be on the business end of that round even with cover and body armor.

I have put those through at least .5" boiler plate, a brake disc, and cinder blocks.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Nothing wrong with the PKM. It's a great weapon. I would probably go with the M240 as that's what I'm more familiar with.
    On a side note, the SAW and 240 may be utilized by the U.S. but they are not U.S. weapons. They're Belgian.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Absolutely beauty of a firearm. Not cheap either. There is one for sale over at GB for a paltry US$4,800.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=525046118
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

PKM is a fine belt-fed weapon.
    And she's got excellent trigger control.

I never got good at single shots on my M-60, though doubles were easy. She makes it look routine, and the PK cycles faster than the M-60, so you have to be quicker.

7.62x54R is a good round. Between 7.62x51 (NATO) and .30-06 in power.
    NATO 7.62 has the advantage of being more compact, but that's it.
    Right-hand feed (PKM) is probably better for a right-handed operator. The ammo box and tray wouldn't grind into you while you carry it, and it puts your assistant on your right, giving him a space in front of his left shoulder to feed the gun while having his own rifle on his right.
    Fixed links suck though. Maybe a slight reliability gain, but they are heavier, more awkward to link up belts, and you have to worry about the empty belt hanging out the other side of the weapon.