• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone recognize the weapon?

zaitz

Banned
does anyone recognize the weapon?

In a forum on law and poltics, people are discussing ISIS, the Kurds and Turkey. The news on cnn says that the Kurds weapons are old.

Does anyone recognize what rifle this is she is holding and perhaps how old it is? I assume it is not American made. She is reported to have killed 29 ISIS fighters. If she had some American rifles, how much more might she be killing? Does anyone wish to guess?

thanks!

zaitz

Banned

325rto

The Russian PKM is a very capable weapon. I doubt that she is under gunned. Old does not mean obsolete. There may be newer, lighter, more powerful, less powerful and better looking weapons available, but the people that were killed with a PKM are still dead. A properly maintained PKM could kill many more. I could think of many weapons I would pass over to get a PKM. The 7.62 X 54R cartridge is more powerful that the 7.62 X 51(.308) NATO. It is closer to the US 7.62X53 (30-06). What US weapon would you suggest to replace this PKM? M 249? Not me.

Gutshot makes a good point, with the exception that the M249 SAW is not in the same class as the PKM, or the M60 (which has been replaced by the M240). The SAW is chambered in 5.56, which obviously limits its range and penetration potential.

Freedom1Man

The Russian PKM is a very capable weapon. I doubt that she is under gunned. Old does not mean obsolete. There may be newer, lighter, more powerful, less powerful and better looking weapons available, but the people that were killed with a PKM are still dead. A properly maintained PKM could kill many more. I could think of many weapons I would pass over to get a PKM. The 7.62 X 54R cartridge is more powerful that the 7.62 X 51(.308) NATO. It is closer to the US 7.62X53 (30-06). What US weapon would you suggest to replace this PKM? M 249? Not me.
I know that the 7.62x54R is a nasty round. I would hate to be on the business end of that round even with cover and body armor.

I have put those through at least .5" boiler plate, a brake disc, and cinder blocks.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

decklin

Nothing wrong with the PKM. It's a great weapon. I would probably go with the M240 as that's what I'm more familiar with.
On a side note, the SAW and 240 may be utilized by the U.S. but they are not U.S. weapons. They're Belgian.

Elkad

PKM is a fine belt-fed weapon.
And she's got excellent trigger control.

I never got good at single shots on my M-60, though doubles were easy. She makes it look routine, and the PK cycles faster than the M-60, so you have to be quicker.

7.62x54R is a good round. Between 7.62x51 (NATO) and .30-06 in power.
NATO 7.62 has the advantage of being more compact, but that's it.
Right-hand feed (PKM) is probably better for a right-handed operator. The ammo box and tray wouldn't grind into you while you carry it, and it puts your assistant on your right, giving him a space in front of his left shoulder to feed the gun while having his own rifle on his right.
Fixed links suck though. Maybe a slight reliability gain, but they are heavier, more awkward to link up belts, and you have to worry about the empty belt hanging out the other side of the weapon.