• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal agents and body cameras don't mix !

Ken56

"If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" riiight??? At least that's what they say to us mere serfs. Oh, wait, its for officer safety. That's it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...wed-to-partner-up-with-federal-agencies.shtml

DOJ Says Body Camera-Wearing Cops Aren't Allowed To Partner Up With Federal Agencies

That should raise eyebrows ....

A few years ago, I read an interesting article. Can't remember the source or website, but I think it was a lawyer.

The FBI has a firm policy against agents allowing their conversations with citizens to be recorded. The context of the article was about a technique of the FBI. The technique was to interview someone, while the FBI convinced the interviewee that the FBI would keep notes and send him a copy of the write-up later.

Well, it turns out the write-up somehow always managed to subtlely shift what was said and agreed--to the citizen's disadvantage, of course.

I do not recall the article claiming the regulation against agents allowing themselves to be recorded was put in place to facilitate this little game. But, it certainly helped the game along.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Video cameras worn by ATF gun runners would compromise the story.

But, I thing those secret service agents should be required to ware those cameras when they are off duty.....

sudden valley gunner

A few years ago, I read an interesting article. Can't remember the source or website, but I think it was a lawyer.The FBI has a firm policy against agents allowing their conversations with citizens to be recorded. The context of the article was about a technique of the FBI. The technique was to interview someone, while the FBI convinced the interviewee that the FBI would keep notes and send him a copy of the write-up later.Well, it turns out the write-up somehow always managed to subtlely shift what was said and agreed--to the citizen's disadvantage, of course. I do not recall the article claiming the regulation against agents allowing themselves to be recorded was put in place to facilitate this little game. But, it certainly helped the game along.
Which is interesting from what I remember the Federal state is a one party consent.I tried to point this out to an IRS agent who had a no recording sign on his desk during an audit.He also lied and cost me several thousand dollars because of his lies and out right threats. I should have recorded.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Which is interesting from what I remember the Federal state is a one party consent.I tried to point this out to an IRS agent who had a no recording sign on his desk during an audit.He also lied and cost me several thousand dollars because of his lies and out right threats. I should have recorded.

I record even when told its illegal to - as it is not illegal to.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
IRS regs require 10 day notice.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
For recording?
Yes. But, they will fight tooth and nail to say you can't record.

4.10.3.2.6 (03-01-2003)
Requests to Tape Record Interviews

Internal Revenue Code Section 7521(a) addresses audio recording of interviews.

Taxpayers — Taxpayers may request to tape record an interview proceeding as long as 10 calendar days advance notice of intent to record is provided to the Service. In addition, the taxpayer must supply his recording equipment. The Service has the right to simultaneously produce its own recording and has the right to reschedule the interview if the Service does not or will not have equipment in place.

IRS — The Service can initiate an audio recording provided it notifies the taxpayer 10 calendar days in advance of the interview using Pattern Letter 2156 on Area Director letterhead. The Field Territory Manager must approve all Service initiated recordings. See Exhibit 4.10.3–1 for copy of pattern letter.
https://www.irs.gov/irm/part4/irm_04-010-003.html

Last edited:

OC for ME

26 U.S. Code § 7521 - Procedures involving taxpayer interviews: (a) Recording of interviews; (1) Recording by taxpayer: Any officer or employee of the Internal Revenue Service in connection with any in-person interview with any taxpayer relating to the determination or collection of any tax shall, upon advance request of such taxpayer, allow the taxpayer to make an audio recording of such interview at the taxpayer’s own expense and with the taxpayer’s own equipment.
No recording, no whining.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No recording, no whining.

I think that the 1st amendment covers this already ... to be able to seek out gov't corruption to file a grievance.

Just MO. The US code cannot infringe upon your 1st amendment rights nor your natural rights to keep tabs on the gov't.

And the "advanced request" part of the code ? Seems irrelevant as the taxpayer must be allowed to record anyways.

carolina guy

I think that the 1st amendment covers this already ... to be able to seek out gov't corruption to file a grievance.

Just MO. The US code cannot infringe upon your 1st amendment rights nor your natural rights to keep tabs on the gov't.

And the "advanced request" part of the code ? Seems irrelevant as the taxpayer must be allowed to record anyways.

(*chuckle*) You still think that the Constitution is worth the hemp it was written upon? :lol:

sudden valley gunner

[h=1]“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.”-Lysander Spooner[/h]