• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D.C. police chief to the public

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We do not know why the Chief said this but to theorise on the idea of doing something our bevelant masters have deemed unnacceptable is certainly thoughtcrime. We must comply. Resistance is futile. Failure to do this will result in pants wetting then self-sensorship by those in fear of their masters. There is no escape.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
Apparently you think it better to jump to conclusions, have knee jerk reactions, not wait and see, make the worst scenario of the fabric of your imagination. A least you are consistent in your rants and insulting remarks, and castigating the Chief for being a LEO and an employee at will. Might be a good time to stop.

WalkingWolf

Do not see where the Chief recommended ignoring the law.

I would like to hear considerably more from her on this subject though - will she be helping to simply/streamline the permit process and clean up (take out the trash) some of the other anti draconian laws.

From my understanding she has complete control of who does, and does not get a permit. Have we seen a huge flux of issued permits? I think not. For me, her words are hollow. IOW they do not mean jack without some action on her part.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
From my understanding she has complete control of who does, and does not get a permit. Have we seen a huge flux of issued permits? I think not. For me, her words are hollow. IOW they do not mean jack without some action on her part.
(my bold)

Darn straight.

Emily Miller needs to quiz her strongly and repeatedly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

(my bold)

Darn straight.

Emily Miller needs to quiz her strongly and repeatedly.
Would that it were so simple.

The Chief is an employee at will and as such must follow the dictates of the hiring authority.

Still I agree that there is much that can/should be done. Just don't agree that it should be the sole responsibility of the Chief to shoulder that burden.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

The Chief is an employee at will and as such must follow the dictates of the hiring authority.

Still I agree that there is much that can/should be done. Just don't agree that it should be the sole responsibility of the Chief to shoulder that burden.
Agreed, but I think the Chief would have great credibility if she suddenly became a supporter of broader carry laws - and the politicians might well take note. After all, they were "smart enough" to hire her. On the other hand, they might just boot her out of town! :D

She's spoken up in a manner that's intellectually unsustainable, so it wouldn't take much of a leap for her to change her stripes, should she choose to.

solus

Agreed, but I think the Chief would have great credibility if she suddenly became a supporter of broader carry laws - and the politicians might well take note. After all, they were "smart enough" to hire her. On the other hand, they might just boot her out of town! :D

She's spoken up in a manner that's intellectually unsustainable, so it wouldn't take much of a leap for her to change her stripes, should she choose to.

alas if she doesn't carry the party line, those that hired her might terminate her employment contract...

ipse

WalkingWolf

But it is her responsibility, she can either step up to the plate, or continue to help suppress the people of DC. I personally would rather get fired than give up my morality.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well all things said, it is going to be a VERY interesting year. Cloning may be required to keep up. :)

rightwinglibertarian

Apparently you think it better to jump to conclusions, have knee jerk reactions, not wait and see, make the worst scenario of the fabric of your imagination. A least you are consistent in your rants and insulting remarks, and castigating the Chief for being a LEO and an employee at will. Might be a good time to stop.

No I think it's better to actually act like Americans and not run in fear at a little bit of opposition and to avoid self-censorship and compromise but that will never happen. But yea i'll stop. Talking to walls is generally pointless. Moving on.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Have you read through DC's laws, right? Some of the most draconian BS east of the Mississippi. Read Emily Gets Her Gun and you'll see just what a load of crap the DC top cop is spewing right now. The Constitution says they have to allow it, but it doesn't say that can't make it prohibitively difficult and expensive for the common people.

Emphasis mine, for a purpose: This is precisely what the Constitution prohibits in the Second's, "shall not be infringed" clause. The definition of the word "infringe" in place when our Bill of Rights was penned is "defeat, frustrate." (Source: Merriam-Webster).

Entities such as the D.C. politburo need not prohibit people from keeping (owning/possessing) and bearing (carrying) arms in order to meet the definition of the word, "infringe." Merely making it even mildly difficult for the average citizen constitutes an infringement and violation of our U.S. Constitution.

Someone needs to take D.C. to the Supreme Court AGAIN! I can't afford the $2.5 million, but I'll bet if the NRA spent less money on advertising and more on actionable items, they could.

since9

Campaign Veteran
“But considering the Draconian gun laws in the District, it will remain difficult if not impossible for most private citizens to do what the chief is suggesting.”

Those "draconian gun laws" are a direct violation of the U.S. Constitution's prohibition against any infringement on the right to keep (own/possess) and bear (carry) arms.

More, here, but let's please merge these two threads. Same topic, exactly.

OC for ME

1. Where does she urge citizens to defend themselves with a gun?
2. The "can of corn" ref is appropriate.
3. She is a manifestation of liberal elites and will not support restoring rights and respecting liberty.

Nothing to see here...move along...move along...

CharleyMarbles

Last paragraph emphasis mine.

That is only because some people don't understand the Oath they take. AND that for some reason the Constitution is no longer taught to our successors. Admittedly I am no scholar on the matter but I do at least try and find the right answer before I make a judgment.

Edit sorry missed the last paragraph but you are smart fellows I think you can figure it out.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Those "draconian gun laws" are a direct violation of the U.S. Constitution's prohibition against any infringement on the right to keep (own/possess) and bear (carry) arms.

Now comrade the law is what we are told. Such talk is almost doubleplus ridiculous, verging crime-speak. The penalty for continuing is increasing censorship until one accepts they must bow to what the establishment has decreed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That has been done.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now comrade the law is what we are told. Such talk is almost doubleplus ridiculous, verging crime-speak. The penalty for continuing is increasing censorship until one accepts they must bow to what the establishment has decreed
Please note rule #15 which says in part, "Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts."

Every perceived ill is not an opportunity to rant the same sarcastic diatribe.

The RKBA and OC particularly has made great positive strides in recent years.

davidmcbeth

Banned
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Rule 15 in its entirety.

I don't think its a pledge wherein individual members pledge to follow illegal laws ... just that the forum will not advocate for breaking such laws or support such postings advocating such.

Just like individual members do not actually pledge to file lawsuits regarding illegal laws but that the forum supports the discussion in respect to furthering the understanding related to possible (or ongoing) litigation ideas and viewpoints.

Correction or clarification always welcome.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Rule 15 in its entirety.

I don't think its a pledge wherein individual members pledge to follow illegal laws ... just that the forum will not advocate for breaking such laws or support such postings advocating such.

Just like individual members do not actually pledge to file lawsuits regarding illegal laws but that the forum supports the discussion in respect to furthering the understanding related to possible (or ongoing) litigation ideas and viewpoints.

Correction or clarification always welcome.
Called decisions are based on this which is also in the Forum Rules:
"We reserve the ABSOLUTE right to contact our members via PM or email regarding moderation issues. Contact for non-moderation activities is governed by forum rules."

It is a short step from that to the on line moderation of posts detrimental to OCDO.

Being a publicly read form, we must be aware of the perception of endorsing illegal acts.

What part of "NOT welcome here" is unclear?

solus

now, where on earth did i leave my container of BSA caramel corn...

the show is about to begin.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No I think it's better to actually act like Americans and not run in fear at a little bit of opposition and to avoid self-censorship and compromise but that will never happen. But yea i'll stop. Talking to walls is generally pointless. Moving on.
Brakes must have failed.

Now as to "moving on" - THAT caught my attention. We used to have a poster that favored that expression. Wonder if you know him?