Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Russian jet shot down by Turkey -

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Russian jet shot down by Turkey -

    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/1...081519290.html

    "Our plane was shot down over the territory of Syria by an air-to-air missile from a Turkish F-16 jet. It fell in Syrian territory four kilometres from the border with Turkey. Our pilots and our plane did not in any way threaten Turkey."


    Well I believe that they did violate their airspace and that the Turk's version of events is correct.

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,726
    Turkey understands gun control or I should say missile control......
    Last edited by color of law; 11-24-2015 at 09:26 AM.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Looks like russia is just going to put in SAMs in place as the result.

    Will do no good against F-22s though unless the pilot is sleeping ... F-22s can evade SAMs...and destroy the systems if needed. So the US should be fine.

    I don't think that Turkey has F-22s ... but the SAMs range is not that great. The F-16 would be fine to cover their own territory...and surveillance should keep an eye on the SAMs.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-25-2015 at 07:50 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147

    Update! Turkey releases recording of warnings to Russian plane

    Turkey has released audio recordings of what it says are the Turkish military’s repeated warnings to the pilot of the Russian plane before it was shot down at the border with Syria — audio that grows increasingly more agitated.

    The recordings, made available to The Associated Press on Thursday, indicate the plane was warned several times Tuesday that it was approaching Turkey’s airspace and asked to change course.
    [ ... ]
    The audio that was released only involved Turkish warnings, no replies by a Russian pilot. It was not clear if Russian replies were received but not released by the Turkish government, or if the Russian pilots never replied to the warnings or if they never heard the warnings.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...russian-plane/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member MontanaResident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Turkey has released audio recordings of what it says are the Turkish military’s repeated warnings to the pilot of the Russian plane before it was shot down at the border with Syria — audio that grows increasingly more agitated.

    The recordings, made available to The Associated Press on Thursday, indicate the plane was warned several times Tuesday that it was approaching Turkey’s airspace and asked to change course.
    [ ... ]
    The audio that was released only involved Turkish warnings, no replies by a Russian pilot. It was not clear if Russian replies were received but not released by the Turkish government, or if the Russian pilots never replied to the warnings or if they never heard the warnings.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...russian-plane/
    As if it matters what the truth is, or isn't, what we know don't know, believe or not. Sounds like those two are heading for direct confrontation, and they are only getting justified while they get arms ready and in place.

    There's no doubt that Turkey is benefiting from this whole Syria thing. Nothing finer then watching old enemies clash, and making a fortune in the very cheap black market oil sales that is being facilitated by well place individuals in Turkey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaResident View Post
    As if it matters what the truth is, or isn't, what we know don't know, believe or not. Sounds like those two are heading for direct confrontation, and they are only getting justified while they get arms ready and in place.

    There's no doubt that Turkey is benefiting from this whole Syria thing. Nothing finer then watching old enemies clash, and making a fortune in the very cheap black market oil sales that is being facilitated by well place individuals in Turkey.
    strictly saber rattling, Putin won't do anything harsh...ban Russians from visiting Turkiye ?

    oil sales are tapering off as the bombs fall from the sky onto the trucks...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147
    Turkey is NATO, as are we, the US.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Turkey is NATO, as are we, the US.
    so is france...point

    just another effective entity, eh?

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulrode...ssia-face-off/

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Regular Member DeSchaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Looks like russia is just going to put in SAMs in place as the result.

    Will do no good against F-22s though unless the pilot is sleeping ... F-22s can evade SAMs...and destroy the systems if needed. So the US should be fine.

    I don't think that Turkey has F-22s ... but the SAMs range is not that great. The F-16 would be fine to cover their own territory...and surveillance should keep an eye on the SAMs.
    F-22 is not currently exportable. But the F-16 has been the mainstay for anti radar operations. In both Gulf Wars, the Falcon was given more anti-picket missions using AGM-88 HARM than any other type of aircraft (Hornets were a close second). However, the newer -88E is made to fit on the US Hornet, UK Tornado and the F-35 Lightning II. It'll be a little dicey though. If Russia deploys the S-400, that's got a range of up to 400km. The AGM-88's range is only about 150km.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

  10. #10
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Could this be the opening shots of World War 3 ??
    That is the sign of thought. That is the correct question to ask.

    I do not have an answer just an opinion, my opinion is that yes, that is the starting ripple for WW3.

    I am rounding my stone and sharpening my sticks.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Could this be the opening shots of World War 3 ?
    Nothing could be finer on Obama's watch.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,865
    S I G H....

    so it begins....the OCDO soothsayers of doom foretelling the beginning of the end...

    truly glad i heard it here first thus saving my critical thinking capabilities from having had to work to hard deciphering the main/alternate stream media outlets to come to the same conclusion...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Could this be the opening shots of World War 3 ??
    WW III ? Between Russia v. NATO ? That would be a laugh. Unless China kicks in support with Russia, Russia would be in over their heads.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Grim_Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington
    Posts
    792
    I think I found the one responsible...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkey shoots down Russian Fighter Jet for Thanksgiving.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	12873
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

    There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    I think I found the one responsible...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkey shoots down Russian Fighter Jet for Thanksgiving.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	12873
    Oh you...

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Big Mo
    Posts
    43
    Putin likes his Turkey cold.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147

    Russia has 'proof’ ISIS oil routed through Turkey, Erdogan says he’ll resign if true

    Russia has received additional intelligence confirming that oil from deposits controlled by Islamic State is moved through Turkey on an industrial scale, said Vladimir Putin. President Recep Erdogan said he will resign if this is confirmed.

    https://www.rt.com/news/324045-putin...an-su-downing/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Russia has received additional intelligence confirming that oil from deposits controlled by Islamic State is moved through Turkey on an industrial scale, said Vladimir Putin. President Recep Erdogan said he will resign if this is confirmed.

    https://www.rt.com/news/324045-putin...an-su-downing/
    Moscow has grounds to suspect that the Su-24 was downed by Turkish jets on November 24 to secure illegal oil deliveries from Syria to Turkey, he said speaking on the sidelines of the climate change summit in Paris on Monday.

    So they shot down the plane to insure that a pipeline was not hit? Or that a convoy was not stopped from delivering oil?

    Well, if so, then I think that Russia got the message loud and clear not to mess with these activities. But I don't think so ... a pipeline can be hit almost at-will by Russia ... shooting down a single plane would not stop that.

    Russia entered Turkey's airspace and they defended themselves. They have been violating many country's airspace. And we have violated their airspace in the past too. Mostly to test defenses and to harass and to make the opposition to spend $$ in their responses. Nothing new - its just that the Turks were willing to shoot down their plane. Play the game and expect some bloody noses...Putin understands, he really did nothing to the Turks in response.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •