Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill to Allow Weapon Licenses as ID's at TSA checkpoints.

Bill to Allow Weapon Licenses as ID's at TSA checkpoints.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...ntcmp=obinsite

Representative Diane Black from TN has put forth a bill that would allow those of us to use our CPL/CCW/etc as ID at TSA screening areas. Currently, weapon licenses are NOT allowed by TSA, in spite of the background checks and other crap you have to go through to get one. Another step in ending the discrimination shown us at so many turns.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Like federally mandated reciprocity, beware of geeks bearing gifts. Some states protect the identity of CCW permitees and that should not be surrendered or made public lightly.

Besides, the Pre-check check-in program is convenient.

Don't be so credulous.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-24-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I don't see this as a good thing. It only furthers the notion that we need permission to exercise a right. Plus I've never seen a permit with a picture. That'd be a lot of money each state would have to pay out to convert all permits.
    As Nightmare pointed out it also opens carriers up to a severe invasion of privacy.
    I'll stick to showing my DL thank you.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    I don't see this as a good thing. It only furthers the notion that we need permission to exercise a right. Plus I've never seen a permit with a picture. That'd be a lot of money each state would have to pay out to convert all permits.
    As Nightmare pointed out it also opens carriers up to a severe invasion of privacy.
    I'll stick to showing my DL thank you.
    Utah has a pic on their permit.

Not trying to say you're wrong, just giving a heads-up is all.
    Last edited by b0neZ; 11-25-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Careful what you advocate

If the requirement is a license or permit then it is not a right.

So the premise here, provided legislation passed muster, you would be "allowed" to use the permit or license the government "allows" you to obtain in the exercise of your "right" to be used as valid ID at TSA check points.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    If the requirement is a license or permit then it is not a right. So the premise here, provided legislation passed muster, you would be "allowed" to use the permit or license the government "allows" you to obtain in the exercise of your "right" to be used as valid ID at TSA check points. ~Whitney
    On what right are you commenting? There is no right to air travel. There is no right to security. There is no right to cross a border unmolested.

Poorly formed post

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    On what right are you commenting? There is no right to air travel. There is no right to security. There is no right to cross a border unmolested.

Good call , Thank You; I did not completely form my thoughts and compose my post.

My thought process was based around national licensing scheme or reciprocity.
    Thus eroding the right to bear arms (in public) and eventually requiring application and approval to exercise a right.

Permitting schemes are the antithesis to our rights no matter how well intentioned.

Why the hell do I need to show ID at the airport anyway if I have a boarding pass? OH yeah, that war on terror thing. /sarc.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

I have used mine without issue at airports.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

thanks but no thanks at using my nifty state level conceal permit card at a federal TSA checkpoint.

being the cynic i am purported to be, so why do i wish to VOLUNTARILY contribute to TSA's compilation of those good citizens who hold permits to conceal a firearm?

they want the info from the state on me...they can do so. I am not about to voluntarily givie it to them!!

in fact, I do not even proffer my DL and instead use my passport.

ya thank the nice legislators for their assistance to TSA as it sure as the devil doesn't save the citizen one iota of time.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I use my passport, and I use my passport card PPC for walking around identification. The DL stays in the driving thing and the CWL stays with the weapon thing.

Should be just as good as any other government ID.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Banned
    Considering you cannot be required to have an ID to travel inside the USA ... it is a meaningless load of drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Considering you cannot be required to have an ID to travel inside the USA ... it is a meaningless load of drivel.
    so pray tell the august membership david what document that you are not required to proffer do you use to meet the nice TSA's criteria as outlined at their site: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification

oh, there is a very specific comment...conceal handgun permits are not considered valid by TSA.

TSA's real id pgm:

here ya go david...pick a topic and please advise how you are going to fly anywhere in this great country after the first of the year:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...rements%202016

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Are we working to increase the utility of something we believe should not exist in the first place? Is that wise?
    Advocate freedom please

Should a permit be needed? No. Does the permit meet all of the listed requirements for an approved TSA ID? Yes. Thus I see such a law less as working to increase the utility of the permit and more as holding the TSA accountable and making them follow the law. While I didn't go look it up personally, below is the excerpt from the article showing why the TSA is likely not following the law by refusing to accept at least some/most permits (note that I don't know what is printed on all permits thus I can't say all meet these requirements).

"...According to federal law, the criteria for a “verifying identity document” is “an unexpired document issued by a U.S Federal, State, or tribal government” that includes your full name, date of birth, and photograph..."

So regardless of the fact that I disagree with needing the permit, given the info that's on both my NE and UT permits, why isn't it valid again?

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Should a permit be needed? No. Does the permit meet all of the listed requirements for an approved TSA ID? Yes. snip...

So regardless of the fact that I disagree with needing the permit, given the info that's on both my NE and UT permits, why isn't it valid again?
    uh, cuz the TSA says it isn't?

as stated in the OPs initial post, according to TSA's website, A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    [ ... ] A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification.

Word games, huh TSA? Well put this in your pipe and smoke it! Wisc. Stats. § 175.60  License to carry a concealed weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Word games, huh TSA? Well put this in your pipe and smoke it! Wisc. Stats. § 175.60  License to carry a concealed weapon.
    which means what to the masses?

ipse

Founder's Club Member

as stated in the OPs initial post, according to TSA's website, A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification.

Thanks for the quote and link. I checked them. You are, of course, correct.

Their breathtaking arrogance is encapsulated in the word acceptable.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    TSA will apparently accept a credit card as identification = not government issued, no personal data, no address.

BUT they wont accept a weapon permit which has been issued by the government AND has much personal identifying data.

That must make sense to somebody, but I don't have a clue who that might be.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-26-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: fixed link
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    TSA will apparently accept a credit card as identification = not government issued, no personal data, no address.

BUT they wont accept a weapon permit which has been issued by the government AND has much personal identifying data.

That must make sense to somebody, but I don't have a clue who that might be.
    My reading of that would put such weapon licenses as alternate forms of ID, the same as credit cards, meaning two forms of alternates would be required. I also suspect travelers might be hassled unofficially for attempting it, but they meet that criteria.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-26-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

And as I stated, per the article there's already an outline as for what counts as ID for the federal government and the permit meets all of that. Thus the TSA is ignoring the law and making up their own rules (and even ignoring their own rules in regards to not accepting it as an alternate form of ID) by refusing to accept the permit. Which was my point. And to that the law proposed in the article would be nothing more than explicitly forcing them to accept something that already meets the law regarding ID.
    Last edited by Aknazer; 11-27-2015 at 03:28 AM.

And as I stated, per the article there's already an outline as for what counts as ID for the federal government and the permit meets all of that. Thus the TSA is ignoring the law and making up their own rules (and even ignoring their own rules in regards to not accepting it as an alternate form of ID) by refusing to accept the permit. Which was my point. And to that the law proposed in the article would be nothing more than explicitly forcing them to accept something that already meets the law regarding ID.
    i guess you missed OPs statement as well as others including the big bold statement on the cited TSA's webpage stating weapon permits are not acceptable?

not sure how TSA is ignoring their own rules when their documentation specifically states permits are not acceptable form of identification?

not sure where the confusion lies ?

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 11-27-2015 at 12:39 PM.

i guess you missed OPs statement as well as others including the big bold statement on the cited TSA's webpage stating weapon permits are not acceptable?

not sure how TSA is ignoring their own rules when their documentation specifically states permits are not acceptable form of identification?

not sure where the confusion lies ?

ipse
    It lies in your own reading comprehension. I'll let you reread what I said a few times so that maybe you can come to understand it.

It lies in your own reading comprehension. I'll let you reread what I said a few times so that maybe you can come to understand it.
    guess i misread what you posted and I specifically commented to...

ipse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast