• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill to Allow Weapon Licenses as ID's at TSA checkpoints.

DeSchaine

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...tcmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obinsite

Representative Diane Black from TN has put forth a bill that would allow those of us to use our CPL/CCW/etc as ID at TSA screening areas. Currently, weapon licenses are NOT allowed by TSA, in spite of the background checks and other crap you have to go through to get one. Another step in ending the discrimination shown us at so many turns.

decklin

I don't see this as a good thing. It only furthers the notion that we need permission to exercise a right. Plus I've never seen a permit with a picture. That'd be a lot of money each state would have to pay out to convert all permits.
As Nightmare pointed out it also opens carriers up to a severe invasion of privacy.
I'll stick to showing my DL thank you.

b0neZ

I don't see this as a good thing. It only furthers the notion that we need permission to exercise a right. Plus I've never seen a permit with a picture. That'd be a lot of money each state would have to pay out to convert all permits.
As Nightmare pointed out it also opens carriers up to a severe invasion of privacy.
I'll stick to showing my DL thank you.
Utah has a pic on their permit.

Not trying to say you're wrong, just giving a heads-up is all.

Last edited:

Whitney

Careful what you advocate

If the requirement is a license or permit then it is not a right.

So the premise here, provided legislation passed muster, you would be "allowed" to use the permit or license the government "allows" you to obtain in the exercise of your "right" to be used as valid ID at TSA check points.

:banghead:

~Whitney

Whitney

Poorly formed post

On what right are you commenting? There is no right to air travel. There is no right to security. There is no right to cross a border unmolested.

Good call , Thank You; I did not completely form my thoughts and compose my post.

My thought process was based around national licensing scheme or reciprocity.
Thus eroding the right to bear arms (in public) and eventually requiring application and approval to exercise a right.

Permitting schemes are the antithesis to our rights no matter how well intentioned.

Why the hell do I need to show ID at the airport anyway if I have a boarding pass? OH yeah, that war on terror thing. /sarc.

~Whitney

solus

thanks but no thanks at using my nifty state level conceal permit card at a federal TSA checkpoint.

being the cynic i am purported to be, so why do i wish to VOLUNTARILY contribute to TSA's compilation of those good citizens who hold permits to conceal a firearm?

they want the info from the state on me...they can do so. I am not about to voluntarily givie it to them!!

in fact, I do not even proffer my DL and instead use my passport.

ya thank the nice legislators for their assistance to TSA as it sure as the devil doesn't save the citizen one iota of time.

ipse

solus

Considering you cannot be required to have an ID to travel inside the USA ... it is a meaningless load of drivel.

so pray tell the august membership david what document that you are not required to proffer do you use to meet the nice TSA's criteria as outlined at their site: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

oh, there is a very specific comment...conceal handgun permits are not considered valid by TSA.

TSA's real id pgm:

here ya go david...pick a topic and please advise how you are going to fly anywhere in this great country after the first of the year:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=UTF-8#q=tsa identification requirements 2016

ipse

Aknazer

Should a permit be needed? No. Does the permit meet all of the listed requirements for an approved TSA ID? Yes. Thus I see such a law less as working to increase the utility of the permit and more as holding the TSA accountable and making them follow the law. While I didn't go look it up personally, below is the excerpt from the article showing why the TSA is likely not following the law by refusing to accept at least some/most permits (note that I don't know what is printed on all permits thus I can't say all meet these requirements).

"...According to federal law, the criteria for a “verifying identity document” is “an unexpired document issued by a U.S Federal, State, or tribal government” that includes your full name, date of birth, and photograph..."

So regardless of the fact that I disagree with needing the permit, given the info that's on both my NE and UT permits, why isn't it valid again?

solus

Should a permit be needed? No. Does the permit meet all of the listed requirements for an approved TSA ID? Yes. snip...

So regardless of the fact that I disagree with needing the permit, given the info that's on both my NE and UT permits, why isn't it valid again?

uh, cuz the TSA says it isn't?

as stated in the OPs initial post, according to TSA's website, A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
TSA will apparently accept a credit card as identification = not government issued, no personal data, no address.

BUT they wont accept a weapon permit which has been issued by the government AND has much personal identifying data.

That must make sense to somebody, but I don't have a clue who that might be.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
TSA will apparently accept a credit card as identification = not government issued, no personal data, no address.

BUT they wont accept a weapon permit which has been issued by the government AND has much personal identifying data.

That must make sense to somebody, but I don't have a clue who that might be.

My reading of that would put such weapon licenses as alternate forms of ID, the same as credit cards, meaning two forms of alternates would be required. I also suspect travelers might be hassled unofficially for attempting it, but they meet that criteria.

Last edited:

Aknazer

uh, cuz the TSA says it isn't?

as stated in the OPs initial post, according to TSA's website, A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification.

And as I stated, per the article there's already an outline as for what counts as ID for the federal government and the permit meets all of that. Thus the TSA is ignoring the law and making up their own rules (and even ignoring their own rules in regards to not accepting it as an alternate form of ID) by refusing to accept the permit. Which was my point. And to that the law proposed in the article would be nothing more than explicitly forcing them to accept something that already meets the law regarding ID.

Last edited:

solus

And as I stated, per the article there's already an outline as for what counts as ID for the federal government and the permit meets all of that. Thus the TSA is ignoring the law and making up their own rules (and even ignoring their own rules in regards to not accepting it as an alternate form of ID) by refusing to accept the permit. Which was my point. And to that the law proposed in the article would be nothing more than explicitly forcing them to accept something that already meets the law regarding ID.

i guess you missed OPs statement as well as others including the big bold statement on the cited TSA's webpage stating weapon permits are not acceptable?

not sure how TSA is ignoring their own rules when their documentation specifically states permits are not acceptable form of identification?

not sure where the confusion lies ?

ipse

Last edited:

Aknazer

i guess you missed OPs statement as well as others including the big bold statement on the cited TSA's webpage stating weapon permits are not acceptable?

not sure how TSA is ignoring their own rules when their documentation specifically states permits are not acceptable form of identification?

not sure where the confusion lies ?

ipse

It lies in your own reading comprehension. I'll let you reread what I said a few times so that maybe you can come to understand it.