• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill to Allow Weapon Licenses as ID's at TSA checkpoints.

davidmcbeth

Banned
And where does it state that the feds have the "right" to regulate a private transaction between a peaceable consumer and a law abiding service provider? Hmm?

Perpetuation of the notion that a butt load of folks (consumers) using a private carrier (on the private carriers terms and conditions) are to be regulated right along with the service provider.
Iconfused.gif

Never thought of this aspect ... (brain cells working) ....

STLDaniel

And where does it state that the feds have the "right" to regulate a private transaction between a peaceable consumer and a law abiding service provider? Hmm?

Perpetuation of the notion that a butt load of folks (consumers) using a private carrier (on the private carriers terms and conditions) are to be regulated right along with the service provider.
Iconfused.gif

Article I, Section 8, Clause 3:
[The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

This section gets abused quite often, but even between private parties, the consumer and the airline, regulations on interstate travel clearly fits within their power to regulate. An interesting argument could be made if the airline allowed you to fly for free (aside from any part of other commerce such as rebates or reward programs, but truly free). Then you could argue it wasn't interstate commerce.

That doesn't mean regulating you directly, but they can regulate that for the transaction to proceed, parties involved must comply with X... for instance, TSA screenings and Real ID requirements.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Article I, Section 8, Clause 3:
[The Congress shall have Power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

This section gets abused quite often, but even between private parties, the consumer and the airline, regulations on interstate travel clearly fits within their power to regulate. An interesting argument could be made if the airline allowed you to fly for free (aside from any part of other commerce such as rebates or reward programs, but truly free). Then you could argue it wasn't interstate commerce.

That doesn't mean regulating you directly, but they can regulate that for the transaction to proceed, parties involved must comply with X... for instance, TSA screenings and Real ID requirements.

Consider intrastate air travel....

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...An interesting argument could be made if the airline allowed you to fly for free (aside from any part of other commerce such as rebates or reward programs, but truly free). Then you could argue it wasn't interstate commerce...

But surely some part of the airplane was made in a different state, and therefore it's interstate commerce...

At least that's the argument they make for regulating mere firearms possession...

images

STLDaniel

Consider intrastate air travel....

Sure. If you can find a airline that's doing that, and convince them to challenge it, you'd probably have a good case. Even for short hops, they're usually connecting flights and they would have to de-board and screen everyone if they didn't in the first place. It'd be more hassle than it's worth for an airline to implement different screenings for rare intrastate air hops vs. interstate. It's just easier to herd everyone through the same process, so why would they fight it?

So simply exercising the authority to regulate the interstate commerce has the affect of regulating all, not because they have the authority, just out of practicality.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Southwest started as just a Texas "airbus" between 3 cities in Texas ... so I think intrastate traveling is not uncommon.

STLDaniel

Southwest started as just a Texas "airbus" between 3 cities in Texas ... so I think intrastate traveling is not uncommon.

Nope, it isn't. But they also don't want to remain just intrastate, and it's easier to comply and grow than it is to fight it. Like I said, intrastate travel, you may have a good case, if you could find an airline interested in that. Doubtful.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Nope, it isn't. But they also don't want to remain just intrastate, and it's easier to comply and grow than it is to fight it. Like I said, intrastate travel, you may have a good case, if you could find an airline interested in that. Doubtful.

I don't show ID ... its not a hassle. Even with interstate travel. Try it. And put your ID into your bag so you won't be tempted to submit.

STLDaniel

I don't show ID ... its not a hassle. Even with interstate travel. Try it. And put your ID into your bag so you won't be tempted to submit.

Don't think you read my posts fully. Never said you had to show ID nor spoke to the hassle of the consumer. I spoke to the hassle to the airline implementing two policies, one for interstate and one for intrastate, if they choose to fight the interstate regulations.

Aknazer

sorry, you grew tired...but by your very posts of late, you have once again proven my point...your insults continue...

ipse

PS: to insure i am not inadvertently being insulting, could you point out in the recent posts between us where i have insulted you ~ either real or perceived?

Obtuse, got it. I especially like you cherry picking select parts of my post there while refusing to acknowledge the meaning of it its entirety. So lets start with your posts.

uh, cuz the TSA says it isn't?

as stated in the OPs initial post, according to TSA's website, A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

No actual insult here, but it sets the stage for you being obtuse. Just because they ignore their own rules or flat out go against them doesn't make it right or acceptable. The problem then is in trying to get them to follow their own rules. Thus the proposed law would be to force them to follow their own rules that they have already outlined.

i guess you missed OPs statement as well as others including the big bold statement on the cited TSA's webpage stating weapon permits are not acceptable?

not sure how TSA is ignoring their own rules when their documentation specifically states permits are not acceptable form of identification?

not sure where the confusion lies ?

ipse

And here's the insult in addition to continuing to fail to understand what I'm saying. You're saying that I'm confused as if I don't understand that they state that a CHP (or whatever your state calls its permit) doesn't count. I fully understand it. You're also saying that I missed such a thing multiple times now, which I hadn't. The tone of the post also comes across as insulting in part due to the phrases "i guess you missed" and "not sure where the confusion lies?"

Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean that they're confused or missed something. While a possibility, it can also simply be that they came to a different conclusion, as in this case. I see the TSA as breaking their own rules as they had already defined acceptable forms of ID and alternate ID but then turn around and refuse to accept the CHP. This in turn makes it look like they're specifically targeting those that have a CHP as they refuse to accept even the ones that meet the outlined requirements.

Now you have been slow to understand that this is what I'm saying (obtuse). Sorry but that isn't an insult. Likewise being blunt isn't being insulting regardless of if some people feel that way. I acknowledged that some people who are thin skinned might be insulted, but even then I didn't call you thin skinned (unless you're self identifying as being thin skinned). I said that those who are thin skinned would view being blunt as insulting, but you tried to cherry pick what I said in order to make it seem as if I was calling you thin skinned.

So given your repeated attempts to twist what I was saying and in being either obtuse or simply trolling, I'm done with this discourse. It's obvious that it isn't likely to go anywhere and it feels like I'm :banghead: attempting to explain it, so I'm just going to save myself any further frustration.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't think you read my posts fully. Never said you had to show ID nor spoke to the hassle of the consumer. I spoke to the hassle to the airline implementing two policies, one for interstate and one for intrastate, if they choose to fight the interstate regulations.

Got it. Hey, think about the scene when the TSA asks for ID and you hand him a pistol permit. Expect to be subjected to "intense screening". :D