• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Houston Zoo 30.06 Signage Replaced

Glockster

Like a zombie, back from the dead - the signs are back up, claiming that they are an educational institution:
Houston Zoo spokesperson Jackie Wallace stated: "After consultation with legal counsel, the Houston Zoo, Inc. has concluded that Texas government code does not prohibit HZI from lawfully posting signs that ban weapons from its premises because HZI is - at its core - an educational institution."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...Zoo-reinstalls-signs-banning-guns-6655708.php

Firearms Iinstuctor

Anti's are very creative in their lies.

They depend on these things to take years in the courts to work out.

Mean time they get the gun free zones they want.

CrimsonSoul

If they are an educational institution then it's illegal for them to sell alcohol (class B misdemeanor) someone should tell the TABC.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Glockster

The Texas Educational Code is the only thing that I can find that would have a definition of an educational institution, but there is not one in that very long document. I think that they will have an impossible task trying to smoke 'n mirror the AG's legal team in trying to make that claim valid. And when (not if) they are told no, they are going to likely find that this was a very expensive shell game to play. Unfortunately, Houston taxpayers will foot that bill, but perhaps a petition to fire the zoo manager would be in order, and whoever in the city government office came to that stellar legal conclusion.

But once again, I think that this speaks volumes about what you may expect if you OC in Houston, as I'm certain that the zoo didn't concoct this on its own and clearly had support from senior city managers. And I maintain that the CLEO's information session was nothing more than smoke and mirrors as they prep for a stop and ID (then harass) program.

rightwinglibertarian

My suggestion. Take daily pictures and once the fine increases to $30,000+ go back, speak to the manager, tell them the evidence you have and give them 24 hours to comply then sue them for everything they have. At least some activism isn't banned yet. Probably will become so when people become even more concerned about protecting their backs and wet their pants at even the thought of fighting the system.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk