Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the ranges

Question about the ranges

Last edited by Sono; 03-14-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Banned
    Its your choice ... wear protection or not. Sounds like you had a good outcome from surgery, congrats !

Of course its up to the range if they still want you to wear protection ... they may boot you out.

Next time, wear hearing protection but walk in with a white cane ... now are they happy?

I have never work hearing protection at the range, believing that we should train like we plan to fight. "Hey, hey, wait a minute, I gotta find my mouse-ears." Same with lights and same with glasses, though I do shoot better when I can see the front sight, I am OK with point shooting.

Follow the money to the gear store.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I have never work hearing protection at the range, believing that we should train like we plan to fight. "Hey, hey, wait a minute, I gotta find my mouse-ears." Same with lights and same with glasses, though I do shoot better when I can see the front sight, I am OK with point shooting. Follow the money to the gear store.
    I just noticed my thoughts sneaking into text as I was writing. Work instead of worn.

I spent my career in submarine enginerooms. Once an adjunct SLJ was monitoring air borne noise, 104 dBA between 5S & 6S switchboards. I did put on mouse-ears to visit the emergency diesel while it was running, 1000 hp 6 cylinder vertically opposed (12 pistons between two crankshafts) two stroke with exhaust and intake Rootes superchargers.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I like my hearing to stay the same I like being able to see and protect my eyes.

Hearing protection and eye wear for me on the range.

I would be asking the surgeon who did the implants about needing to wear hearing protection
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Last edited by Sono; 03-14-2016 at 06:06 PM.

I found one website that said deaf/hearing impaired workers are still required to follow workplace hearing loss prevention policies.

Over on A15F, many said that who knows where technology will be in 5-10-20 years? Save whatever you have now.

Seems to me that it's time to communicate to range management. Maybe have the doc send an email so they have a record for their insurer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask them if they would require a legless employee to wear safety boots on his prosthetics.

They probably all see the silliness in it, but depending on how many employees they have and how often your frequent the place, I'm sure it could get annoying. If it's small and you frequent it often enough, I'm sure over time all of them will end up realizing it and you can pass without it. Otherwise, I'm sure management just doesn't want over and over again for you to have to explain that your deaf to each new guy just trying to do his job. And until they get to know you, they may be afraid of you getting confrontational when you've had to explain it to the 5th guy "even though management said it was ok". Until you build that relationship, it's just easier for them to insist on a blanket policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I have never work hearing protection at the range, believing that we should train like we plan to fight. "Hey, hey, wait a minute, I gotta find my mouse-ears."
    How often do you train at the range in your PJ's? Or without shoes on? What kind of fight are you training for that you know exactly how to practice it?
    A large percentage of range time is about building muscle memory through repetitive, perfect practice, which leads to the kind of repetitive noises that can cause hearing loss, which you then wont have to your advantage in a fight. Every Soldier and LEO I know wear ear pro training to save their hearing for when their life may depend on it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim675 View Post
    Ask them if they would require a legless employee to wear safety boots on his prosthetics.
    I've seen this. And yes, as a company safety officer I still required the worker to wear the required safety equipment .. it would still be a workman's comp issue -- a prosthetic can be expensive. And safety equipment would protect a prosthetic from being damaged just like a real appendage. The worker agreed to wear the PPE so it never went beyond the company's venue. How it would have turned out via an OSHA ruling is unknown to me.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I'm not immediately aware of any standards for amount of individual protection offered by either hearing or eye protection, yet most ranges require both. Both fit the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" mold. House rules, liability issues, standardization.

If the deaf must wear ear protection and the blind required to wear glasses, will the amputee be required to wear shoes? Hmmmm.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

sorry this falls under the very basic concept of NO GUNS (or other type of mandate) in any private business establishment mentality...they mandate and enforce any requirements ~ as long as it is enforced uniformly across the board with all customers.

you don't wanta...you can't come in or participate.

don't like it...go somewhere else.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sono View Post
    its not so much the Dont Wanna.... more of a Dont Hafta.... as Im Deaf. I cant argue not wanting to wear glasses, I can see and I want to protect my eyes ...It would be like a place requiring you to buy toothpaste and you have no teeth, or a guy with no arms to wash his hands before returning to work.
    ya and if it is a business establishment whose requirement is mandated to everyone...you brush your gums or use your feet to wipe your stump.

you can push that rock up the hill everytime arguing each time wasting your time or you do as the business mandates OR your take your money elsewhere.

finally, the establishment is now on the defensive if another customer see you not in compliance with their mandate and balks at doing it either.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Been said many times, many waaays...their house, their rules.

Subject to the American Disabilities Act.
    http://www.ada.gov/ada_intro.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Last edited by Sono; 03-14-2016 at 06:07 PM.

But then wouldnt it be discrimination against a deaf person? They couldnt possibly understand if you cant hear, you cant hear...period. No matter if on or off its the same. I wonder if this could be something brought up to whomever is god almighty about the hearing protection and being deaf, who would I address a letter to ( besides the range itself ) that would over ride the little guys? would I contact OSHA? or who?
    how on earth would it be discriminatory against a hearing impaired / deaf individual?? business entities are subjected to their insurance mandates, governmental OSHA requirements, customer contractual mandates, etc.

why would the range care what a letter from OSHA states especially since it won't be mandatory, per se, on the business establishment?

ipse

The range and other businesses follow OSHA rules, so if OSHA says being Deaf and there is no need for a Deaf person to wear hearing protection then that may override everything.... unless they say its up to the range to make an exception to their rules or whatever. Worst case, I will just wear the tiny ear plugs ( like they can even see them with long hair anyways.
    I just hate lugging extra useless crap with me.
    If carrying a fraction of an ounce of foam is a strain, more is the pity.

They take up sooo much room in the range bag too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast