• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about the ranges

solus

But then wouldnt it be discrimination against a deaf person? They couldnt possibly understand if you cant hear, you cant hear...period. No matter if on or off its the same. I wonder if this could be something brought up to whomever is god almighty about the hearing protection and being deaf, who would I address a letter to ( besides the range itself ) that would over ride the little guys? would I contact OSHA? or who?

how on earth would it be discriminatory against a hearing impaired / deaf individual?? business entities are subjected to their insurance mandates, governmental OSHA requirements, customer contractual mandates, etc.

why would the range care what a letter from OSHA states especially since it won't be mandatory, per se, on the business establishment?

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The range and other businesses follow OSHA rules, so if OSHA says being Deaf and there is no need for a Deaf person to wear hearing protection then that may override everything.... unless they say its up to the range to make an exception to their rules or whatever. Worst case, I will just wear the tiny ear plugs ( like they can even see them with long hair anyways.
I just hate lugging extra useless crap with me.
If carrying a fraction of an ounce of foam is a strain, more is the pity. :)

They take up sooo much room in the range bag too.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Having the proper example set for all ranges users has to be taken into consideration also.

In our 4H air rifle program we require hearing protection one reason is to develop good habits.

Us old guys who started shooting before hearing protection was commonly used wish we would have had it.

Say What, HUH, What did you say.

I am working on spending several thousands of dollars on hearing aids I much rather have my hearing.

solus

Having the proper example set for all ranges users has to be taken into consideration also.
In our 4H air rifle program we require hearing protection one reason is to develop good habits.
Us old guys who started shooting before hearing protection was commonly used wish we would have had it.
Say What, HUH, What did you say.
I am working on spending several thousands of dollars on hearing aids I much rather have my hearing.

i can empathize as i have family who are involved with the hearing aid activities, from the cost, to fit, to being ineffective in some critical instances.

years ago, when i got back into shoot sport activities, i spend the $$$ on the 'new fangle' noise canceling headsets to preclude my hearing loss. unfortunately, olde age is playing the mean trick of taking it.

ipse

solus

You missed the point, unless you didnt read. Im DEAF.

sono, as you apparently missed the thrust of Firearm's point:

quote: Having the proper example set for all ranges users has to be taken into consideration also. unquote which reiterated my previous comment, quote: ...the establishment is now on the defensive if another customer see you not in compliance with their mandate and balks at doing it either. unquote.

btw, ya ya ya, so you are deaf, as i stated...it is the private business' requirement across the board applied to all customers, and you do not like the requirement, take you and your money elsewhere!!

ipse

solus

Lets say ALL the range required everyone to wear lace panties...will you?
or will you argue that youre a man and dont wear lace panties?
same concept here .

if i wanted to shoot at that range bad enough, and it was the business' mandate...i would ensure my queen sized pink lacy panties showed to show everyone what chones this man has as i am compling with the business' entrance requirements to be able to enter the establishment and use the facility.

same principle applies and is being discussed in the AZ thread on front sight training's mandatory background check...you wish to take expensive tactcool training you of course must comply and pay to have a personal background check...

therefore, i guess i won't be taking classes there as i do not subscribe to needing a background check to take a 'training' course.

let's say...

ipse

ps: sono quote: But here, its like a mindset oh, you dont want to be like us, then leave....wow. unquote...

so you truly feel you need special dispensation due to your handicap? you should be ashamed of yourself for even chastising this group for not feeling sorry enough for poor little deaf you.

no where, at no time did anybody make that kinda of statement towards you...bottom line get over your self and begin to walk tall like the adult you profess to be.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Lets say ALL the range required everyone to wear lace panties...will you?
or will you argue that youre a man and dont wear lace panties?
same concept here .
If that were private range rule, then yes IMO it would be enforceable.

You are stretching and bending the point which as been adequately answered. You would seem to be arguing just to be obstinate/unreasonable - such is the behavior of a troll.

While I am not making that accusation, you would be wise to give it a break and post no more on the subject, unless legal means can be found whereby a private range could be forced to accept your terms.

Please note that I have changed my hat to my more formal OCDO attire.

STLDaniel

But here, its like a mindset oh, you don't want to be like us, then leave....wow.

You had at least a few who thought it was completely stupid they asked you for it. I didn't really side one way or the other. I think you, and the range, both have valid arguments, some of which was posted in this thread:
You:
- Don't need them
- Don't want them
- Aren't protected the way others are by them

Range:
- Consistency in rules
- Setting an example for other range goers
- Private property so whatever they like

Not quite sure what you expected when you posted this topic. Typically, it'd be to understand the other side (as you already understand your own opinion), but, unless I'm mistaken, you seem a bit upset that not everyone jumps on your bandwagon and bashes a stupid range rule.

Last edited: