• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about the ranges

davidmcbeth

Banned
Its your choice ... wear protection or not. Sounds like you had a good outcome from surgery, congrats !

Of course its up to the range if they still want you to wear protection ... they may boot you out.

Next time, wear hearing protection but walk in with a white cane ... now are they happy?

Firearms Iinstuctor

I like my hearing to stay the same I like being able to see and protect my eyes.

Hearing protection and eye wear for me on the range.

I would be asking the surgeon who did the implants about needing to wear hearing protection

mikeyb

I found one website that said deaf/hearing impaired workers are still required to follow workplace hearing loss prevention policies.

Over on A15F, many said that who knows where technology will be in 5-10-20 years? Save whatever you have now.

nonameisgood

Seems to me that it's time to communicate to range management. Maybe have the doc send an email so they have a record for their insurer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STLDaniel

They probably all see the silliness in it, but depending on how many employees they have and how often your frequent the place, I'm sure it could get annoying. If it's small and you frequent it often enough, I'm sure over time all of them will end up realizing it and you can pass without it. Otherwise, I'm sure management just doesn't want over and over again for you to have to explain that your deaf to each new guy just trying to do his job. And until they get to know you, they may be afraid of you getting confrontational when you've had to explain it to the 5th guy "even though management said it was ok". Until you build that relationship, it's just easier for them to insist on a blanket policy.

I have never work hearing protection at the range, believing that we should train like we plan to fight. "Hey, hey, wait a minute, I gotta find my mouse-ears."

How often do you train at the range in your PJ's? Or without shoes on? What kind of fight are you training for that you know exactly how to practice it?
A large percentage of range time is about building muscle memory through repetitive, perfect practice, which leads to the kind of repetitive noises that can cause hearing loss, which you then wont have to your advantage in a fight. Every Soldier and LEO I know wear ear pro training to save their hearing for when their life may depend on it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ask them if they would require a legless employee to wear safety boots on his prosthetics.

I've seen this. And yes, as a company safety officer I still required the worker to wear the required safety equipment .. it would still be a workman's comp issue -- a prosthetic can be expensive. And safety equipment would protect a prosthetic from being damaged just like a real appendage. The worker agreed to wear the PPE so it never went beyond the company's venue. How it would have turned out via an OSHA ruling is unknown to me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not immediately aware of any standards for amount of individual protection offered by either hearing or eye protection, yet most ranges require both. Both fit the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" mold. House rules, liability issues, standardization.

If the deaf must wear ear protection and the blind required to wear glasses, will the amputee be required to wear shoes? Hmmmm.

solus

sorry this falls under the very basic concept of NO GUNS (or other type of mandate) in any private business establishment mentality...they mandate and enforce any requirements ~ as long as it is enforced uniformly across the board with all customers.

you don't wanta...you can't come in or participate.

don't like it...go somewhere else.

ipse

solus

its not so much the Dont Wanna.... more of a Dont Hafta.... as Im Deaf. I cant argue not wanting to wear glasses, I can see and I want to protect my eyes ...It would be like a place requiring you to buy toothpaste and you have no teeth, or a guy with no arms to wash his hands before returning to work.

ya and if it is a business establishment whose requirement is mandated to everyone...you brush your gums or use your feet to wipe your stump.

you can push that rock up the hill everytime arguing each time wasting your time or you do as the business mandates OR your take your money elsewhere.

finally, the establishment is now on the defensive if another customer see you not in compliance with their mandate and balks at doing it either.

ipse