• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry Lic?

Firearms Iinstuctor

If their is a way to make money some one well think about it.

I might be wrong but I thought a Texas CHL lic was needed.

Have things changed?

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/article/20151130/NEWS/151139981/17577/NEWS

Certified gunsmith and firearms licensing instructor Michael Shumaker, whose shop is located inside Star Arms, says he hasn't seen the new curriculum for teaching classes for obtaining an open carry permit that goes into effect in January.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nope - nothing has changed........including the media's ability to misquote or misrepresent the facts.

No special or separate license required to OC.

Glockster

If their is a way to make money some one well think about it.

I might be wrong but I thought a Texas CHL lic was needed.

Have things changed?

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/article/20151130/NEWS/151139981/17577/NEWS

Certified gunsmith and firearms licensing instructor Michael Shumaker, whose shop is located inside Star Arms, says he hasn't seen the new curriculum for teaching classes for obtaining an open carry permit that goes into effect in January.

This is a case of the media misquoting an instructor, I believe.

They said:

And he was directly quoted as saying:
"We don't have to get a new license to teach for open carry," he said. "They tell me they will be sending us the new curriculum before January 1st, but I haven't seen it yet."

And so he didn't get directly quoted as saying that there is any OC license. He is correct that instructors don't get a new license to teach, and he is correct that there is new curriculum coming. That is because of the requirement to incorporate discussion of OC including retention holders (which are NOT required under the new law, but teaching about them IS required).

So, to directly answer -- there is NO OC license in Texas. There is a CHL which has been around for years, and with the new changes to the law to allow for OC (in one month!), that license is now called a License to Carry (LTC). DPS has been issuing under the new name for awhile already. And to OC you must hold either a CHL or LTC (or of course, one issued from a reciprocity state).

Last edited:

OC for ME

From the TX DPS linked page.
Missouri - Reciprocal ...

NOTE: Missouri "Permit" is actually a regular Missouri Driver's License or NonDriver's License issued with a "Concealed Carry Endorsement" on the face of the license. The Endorsement appears in red letters above the license photo and reads "CCW until (Expiration Date of Endorsement)."
This is incorrect.

MO no longer has a endorsements (permits) that are indicated on the DL or non-DL ID. The new endorsement does not show a photo of the permit holder. The endorsement must be displayed, upon demand of a peace officer, along with a valid MO ID.

Glockster

From the TX DPS linked page.This is incorrect.

MO no longer has a endorsements (permits) that are indicated on the DL or non-DL ID. The new endorsement does not show a photo of the permit holder. The endorsement must be displayed, upon demand of a peace officer, along with a valid MO ID.

What? Are you saying that the TX DPS site isn't up to date???? (With a shocked look on my face) :monkey

HPmatt

Does MO require a separate Zoo OC license? Guess the judge will decide how to interpret the 2A to the Constitution...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

What? Are you saying that the TX DPS site isn't up to date???? (With a shocked look on my face) :monkey

lol. It wasn't a good idea to try and list details of another state's laws/permits on the website anyway - who's in charge of maintaining those references for accuracy, and how often does it get done? My guess: no one and almost never.

If I remember correctly, some (many?) state websites are pretty slow to update with Texas changes.

HPmatt

You know both the State and Feds have VERY tight budgets and have to prioritize what the do first - Tx CHL revenue is barely trickling in these days....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk