• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do CC people feel compelled to "show" their weapons?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was in wally world yesterday, returning an incomplete item. At checkout there was an elderly gentleman and his wife just ahead of me. He saw my 1911 and commented on calibre. Now here is what I consider the creepy part. He bends down and pulls up his pant leg to show a revolver in an ankle holster. It took him a bit to get down there and move the cloth and I commented on his "quick draw". Another story.

Now this is not the first time a CC person has felt he had to whisper to me that he was armed and then proceed to "display" his firearm. SVG and I set up an OC tent at this years Oyster Run. We must have had fifty sixty people do the same thing, over and over. "I'm concealing, See?" would be the accompanying line. "Not anymore!" was our reply.

I think they are all closet Open Carriers that really want to hang it out there, but are, for some reason, afraid to indulge in the Freedom. Proving that they are armed is the creepy part. I need help in understanding this compulsion they have.

How often, if ever, does this happen to you?

WalkingWolf

I have had it happen one time too many, and few times they felt it necessary to remove the gun from the holster. Good way to get shot, most of the time I can read a persons intent. But an itchy off duty LEO might not be so forgiving, or even a on duty that witnesses the exposure of a concealed firearm to another.

Not sure why this is not being covered in CC classes. Well assuming it is not being taught since CCers are doing it.

OC for ME

Not once...knock on wood...I've been informed, but not shown.

OC is not for everyone. It is my unsubstantiated opinion that most CCers are leery of being accosted by Bernard "Barney" P. Milton Oliver Fife due simply to their very visible gat.

decklin

Yep. Every single time I've been approached by another carrier they have always shown me what they're carrying. Like its a secret decoder ring or something.
Most of them I knew they were carrying because they suck at concealing. You've all seen it.
It makes it funny/frustrating because these are the same guys that bash OC on other forums. For one of the least tolerant sites take a look at NWFA.org

utbagpiper

Banned
Yep. Every single time I've been approached by another carrier they have always shown me what they're carrying.

Or put another way, ever carrier you've IDd as carrying, has shown you.

I wonder how many never approached you, and how many you didn't ID as carrying.

F350

Wife and I (at her "request") were at an Arts & Craft show. I was OCing as usual and as I walked by a booth where an extremely well endowed young lady was modeling the light weight tie dyed dresses she made she said "I usually conceal carry, but this dress doesn't conceal much" as she twirled to show how the dress flowed. I had to admit, that dress sure didn't conceal much :lol::monkey

utbagpiper

Banned
I was about to say I've never had someone expose a firearm to me in the manner and context of this thread. And I think that is true.

But on reflection, once at a gun show very shortly after Utah adopted shall issue permits, as I was looking over some firearms, a nice little old lady--who didn't actually have blue hair but certainly could have--looked at the same set of guns and declared his disdain for all of them. I asked her what she preferred, and she opened her purse to show me her Glock. When I remember the incident, I can't help but think about the look on the criminal's face who mistakenly thinks that little old lady was an easy victim. I hope she never needed her gun. I recognize now the personal benefits of OC to such a person. But I also choose to remember that she was doing way more than most to protect herself.

And since I can't much control the actions of others, I find discussions about suppositions about their motives and even peaceful (if misguided) conduct to be rather fruitless and uninteresting.

More productive and intriguing, I think, might be a discussion of what is the proper response should someone expose their previously CC'd firearm to an OCer.

Do we merely want to react with disdain or contempt? Or is there a way to react that might promote OC? That is the purpose of this site after all, to promote the social and legal acceptance of carrying firearms generally and the open carry of firearms specifically.

How do we view CCers compared to how we view non-carriers who approach us about our guns?

Do we view CCers as 90% allies at least until some evidence to the contrary is available regarding any individual CCer? Or do some of us treat CCers as enemies or traitors?

Put another way, are we less open to conversations about how someone carries than we would be to what they like to carry?

Charles

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
...... Like its a secret decoder ring or something...........
Now that is funny, yet true.

More productive and intriguing, I think, might be a discussion of what is the proper response should someone expose their previously CC'd firearm to an OCer.

Do we merely want to react with disdain or contempt? Or is there a way to react that might promote OC? s

My reply to many of them is "You are carrying anyway, why not just hang it out in the open and be done with it?" What are the rest of you doing?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I was in wally world yesterday, returning an incomplete item. At checkout there was an elderly gentleman and his wife just ahead of me. He saw my 1911 and commented on calibre. Now here is what I consider the creepy part. He bends down and pulls up his pant leg to show a revolver in an ankle holster. It took him a bit to get down there and move the cloth and I commented on his "quick draw". Another story.

Now this is not the first time a CC person has felt he had to whisper to me that he was armed and then proceed to "display" his firearm. SVG and I set up an OC tent at this years Oyster Run. We must have had fifty sixty people do the same thing, over and over. "I'm concealing, See?" would be the accompanying line. "Not anymore!" was our reply.

I think they are all closet Open Carriers that really want to hang it out there, but are, for some reason, afraid to indulge in the Freedom. Proving that they are armed is the creepy part. I need help in understanding this compulsion they have.

How often, if ever, does this happen to you?

My money says that, as carriers, they feel a certain comradeship when they see your gun. Sort of a "Hey! There's another gun guy."

My guess is that most of them are just trying to be friendly by showing something they hold in common with you.

I would take it as an unintentional compliment that a CCer showed me his hardware and wanted to demonstrate common ground.

hjon71

It happened to me once. He's an old friend, so I gave a quick look around while saying "Geez man put that thing away. Are you trying to scare everybody?"
We both laughed and got some strange looks
:-\

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Yep. Every single time I've been approached by another carrier they have always shown me what they're carrying. Like its a secret decoder ring or something.
Most of them I knew they were carrying because they suck at concealing. You've all seen it.
It makes it funny/frustrating because these are the same guys that bash OC on other forums. For one of the least tolerant sites take a look at NWFA.org

That website appears to be the National Wood Flooring Association? :confused:

Lol at the decoder ring comment. I agree about the CCers. Some just mention that they normally carry (if they're working at the moment) while others mention that they own one (and leave it at home:().
Only had one CCer pull out his Ruger LCP to show myself and a friend who had just finished up at a MAD mommies counterprotest in Tucson. The muzzle never swept us, but I got a little nervous with the guy handling a loaded sidearm (he said it was loaded. No holster of any sort was visible, but at least his pocket was empty of all things except his sidearm.

My money says that, as carriers, they feel a certain comradeship when they see your gun. Sort of a "Hey! There's another gun guy."

My guess is that most of them are just trying to be friendly by showing something they hold in common with you.

I would take it as an unintentional compliment that a CCer showed me his hardware and wanted to demonstrate common ground.

I thought this as well. Kind of like the "secret decoder ring" comment made by decklin. Just a thought: Perhaps the comment is more true than it seems at first glance?

Let's think of it this way: anyone can SAY they support the 2A/carry, but only a "true" supporter* carries a sidearm, right?:lol: So they tell you they support the 2A, then they show you the equivalent of a secret handshake or, well, decoder ring.:p

*Not trying to disparage anyone, just using the analogy of a "true" member of a super-secret club being privy to the "secret decoder ring" of the club. :p

mnrobitaille

I do a combination of OC/CC, it just depends on where all I plan on going. The majority of the time when OCing I'm doing so via an IWB holster, as the OWB holster I have is a big, bulky & cumbersome at times (really sticks out).

Thankfully as of yet I have not had a person comment along the lines of:
You've shown me yours, now how about I show you mine!

When CCing, I know the idea for carrying that way is to not draw attention to myself.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Here in the northland a jacket or heavy coat is common and needed most of the year.

During the cooler months most of them by the way, CC is just a matter of the weather.

I have had a couple people approach me and have them say they carry concealed. I never had one take their firearm out but they patted their concealing garment.

I chat with them and hand them a business card.

If some one wanted to take their firearm out I would so whoa this is not the place.

I think it is more I am one you things then anything else,

utbagpiper

Banned
My money says that, as carriers, they feel a certain comradeship when they see your gun.

Let's think of it this way: anyone can SAY they support the 2A/carry, but only a "true" supporter* carries a sidearm, right?:lol: So they tell you they support the 2A, then they show you the equivalent of a secret handshake or, well, decoder ring.

I think it is more I am one you things then anything else,

+1

I really like these insights. I like seeing so many who assume some good in a fellow carrier rather than being too quick to condemn or to look for reason to condemn.

A person who CCs is not our opponent (in most cases). Rather, he is likely to be a 90% ally; maybe even a 100% ally even if he doesn't choose to OC himself.

fire suppressor

I've been open carrying for 8 years and I have never had that happen. It's easy to laugh or talk down to theses people but our open carry confidence is obviously higher than theirs. It can be difficult to start with open carry, maybe theses interactions will help give theses people the confidence to make the transition

Last edited: