• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Firearm and Self Defense News

FreeInAZ

9930366b9dd13de9a8536c32c0b758bb.jpg

Now, now...don't feed the trolls kiddies... ;)

Last edited:

solus

directly from your cited article:

quote:
Holland police say it appears that Jackson made a grab for the gun and was then shot twice in the chest.

His former girlfriend says she has been in contact with the customer. unquote

who's former girlfriend...who is writing this BS commentary??

Holland police say they believe the customer, who has a license to carry a gun, was acting in self-defense and he has not been charged, although his gun is being held as evidence.

customer not charged yet his gun was confiscated?

who is writing this BS commentary??

why am i confused...

ipse

Last edited:

DeSchaine

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/ind...ound_at_corunna_high_s.html#incart_river_home

This is to highlight the fact that making all the laws and restrictions in the world isn't going to stop criminal acts, and also to show that the so-called authorities are apparently INEPT at dealing with problems that arise.

TL;DR: 1230 pm: Corunna HS goes into lockdown over report of student with a weapon. Cops are called. Student, locker, backpack searched, no weapon found.

"At no time were students in danger," per a statement Tuesday afternoon. "We followed our procedures as planned and practiced."

They found a BB gun later on in the EVENING at the school!

FreeInAZ

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

some idiot cop said:
"Basic earplugs you can buy at a gun store have much a higher decibel rating than a silencer does," Hadley said. "I don't think we would want to give anyone the ability to attach a silencer that can't be heard by law enforcement."

Wait... wait... wait...

Earplugs work better than 'silencers'

'silencers' can't be heard by law enforcement

pick one.

These things are mutually exclusive, unless you're willing to admit that either all cops have awful hearing, or that 'basic earplugs that you can buy at a gun store' are capable of 100% blocking out all gunshot noise.

Why do people actually listen to this drivel?

Evil Creamsicle

also

"Officers respond to shots fired calls frequently, Hadley said. Not knowing where gunshots originated from can leave them vulnerable...After firing several shots at Schipper, Leonard Statler fled into a dark alley. He came upon Zapata, who had jumped a fence into the alley while coming to Schipper's aid, and shot Zapata twice at close range with a high-powered rifle before turning the gun on himself.

"(Zapata) was basically assassinated," Hadley said. "

OK so, it seems to me that this guy would have fled without incident if Zapata wasn't running toward the sound of gunfire. AKA, it was the fact that he *could* hear the gunshots that got him killed. Just saying.

"If a state had a very thin process for background checks and doesn't take much to (obtain) a permit, I may get one there when maybe I couldn't get it in six other states," Hadley said. "You may have a flooding of people going to particular states."

That's how this country was designed, such that if you don't like the way the laws are in a particular state, you can go to another one. I fail to see the issue here.

DeSchaine

Well folks, the big one is trying to happen. At the same time we're trying to push through Constitutional Carry, State Rep. Abdullah Hammoud (D-Dearborn) has thrown a big change to MCL 750.234d and 750.237a on the table.

HB 4560 seeks to make police stations GFZ's. It ALSO removes our ability to carry in ANY establishment licensed under the Michigan Liquor Code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 TO 436.2303. This means any gas station and supermarket that sells beer would be off limits.

Now, I can hear what you're thinking. "Meh, I've got a CPL, doesn't apply to me." WRONG! The new bill wipes out the exemption for people with licenses. For those that need a refresh, 750.234d states:

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

HB 4560, as introduced, WIPES OUT the part that I emphasized above. And Hammoud doesn't stop there. Apparently in retaliation for the Clio and Ann Arbor cases, he strikes the SAME line out from 750.237a which lets CPL holders carry in school zones. A school zone, defined by the laws of the state and feds, is anything within 1000 feet of a school property, if I remember right.

Hammoud, Sabo, Geiss, Hoadley, Schor, Elder, Wittenberg, Love, Santana, Gay-Dagnogo and Sneller. These people need to be removed from their offices. And anyone else that votes FOR this needs to go as well.

fozzy71

Well folks, the big one is trying to happen. At the same time we're trying to push through Constitutional Carry, State Rep. Abdullah Hammoud (D-Dearborn) has thrown a big change to MCL 750.234d and 750.237a on the table.

HB 4560 seeks to make police stations GFZ's. It ALSO removes our ability to carry in ANY establishment licensed under the Michigan Liquor Code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 TO 436.2303. This means any gas station and supermarket that sells beer would be off limits.

Now, I can hear what you're thinking. "Meh, I've got a CPL, doesn't apply to me." WRONG! The new bill wipes out the exemption for people with licenses. For those that need a refresh, 750.234d states:

HB 4560, as introduced, WIPES OUT the part that I emphasized above. And Hammoud doesn't stop there. Apparently in retaliation for the Clio and Ann Arbor cases, he strikes the SAME line out from 750.237a which lets CPL holders carry in school zones. A school zone, defined by the laws of the state and feds, is anything within 1000 feet of a school property, if I remember right.

Hammoud, Sabo, Geiss, Hoadley, Schor, Elder, Wittenberg, Love, Santana, Gay-Dagnogo and Sneller. These people need to be removed from their offices. And anyone else that votes FOR this needs to go as well.

Michigan Open Carry, Inc added 2 new photos.
3 mins ·
Following our post this morning, Rep. Abdullah Hammoud reached out to us to discuss his legislation (HB 4560) meant to restrict the possession of firearms in police stations. Rep. Hammoud confirmed to us that he indeed did NOT intend to eliminate the exemption for CPL holders for the entire section. His focus was simply on police stations with the intent of preventing a similar incident that occurred a few months ago in Dearborn.
We wish to commend Rep. Hammoud for reaching out to us and for the very respectful conversation that followed. As we conveyed to the representative, we very much agree that we would like to not see such an incident again, however, we believe all of the tools necessary to ensure this are already in place.
As we mentioned this morning, the guys at the center of the issue are already facing a total of over 15 years in prison, and we do not believe millions of law-abiding gun owners all across the state should be punished for the foolish actions of 2.
We also reiterated that the responsibility for introduced language falls entirely on the legislator, and it is their responsibility to know and understand the subject matter they are addressing.
In response, as a sign of sincerity, Rep Hammoud has already received a corrected draft of his bill and has sent us a copy. Below you will find a picture of that draft and a statement from Rep. Hammoud. (Note: the corrections will NOT show on the Legislature's site)
MOC still opposes the legislation, but Rep. Hammoud's quick response to a significant issue is certainly more than what most have done in the past, and for that he deserves credit.
----------------------------------------------
I want to thank Michigan Open Carry for bringing the concern regarding HB 4560 to my attention. During the drafting process, a few lines were inadvertently struck from the bill, and this deviated from my intent. The legislative process is fluid and incremental, with the majority of bills being revised at some point along the way. I have discussed and rectified the issue, the correct version of the language, as a substitute, is attached. This is the corrected version for which I will be advocating.
I have been clear from the start that my intention is to protect our police officers from the irresponsible handling of firearms, similar to what occurred in the city of Dearborn a few months ago. The corrected version does not change any current laws in relation to CPLs. I respect the integrity of the Second Amendment and appreciate the feedback I received today. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further recommendations.
Abdullah Hammoud
Michigan State Representative
House District 15

DeSchaine

He's a Demoncrat from Dearborn. "Inadvertently struck" my arse. He's just slightly smarter than most and realized the firestorm he created.

solus

more impressed by MOC's commentary, quote: As we mentioned this morning, the guys at the center of the issue are already facing a total of over 15 years in prison, and we do not believe millions of law-abiding gun owners all across the state should be punished for the foolish actions of 2. unquote, whom everyone was steadfastly stating were in the right in their activities at the Dearborn PD station appear to be thrown under the bus ...

apparently spock's observation in the wrath of Khan about the needs...is correct!

ipse

Last edited:

DeSchaine

House Bill 4554 has been introduced. This bill seeks to remove the need to register a handgun in Michigan AND allow people who have already had to register ones they currently own to be removed from the current list.

MLive reporters, however, don't want to make the distinction between that and background checks apparently. In her article, Emily Lawler manages to intimate as much in one little sentence.
Under current law, a person cannot purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in Michigan without first having obtained a license for it.

solus