• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8th grade assignment "Our willingness to tolerate school shootings"

J1MB0B

My kid came home with this article and her assignment is to come up with one question that will be discussed in a small group setting. I have some questions in mind but I want something that will throw the teacher for a loop. Something that will make her think "damn, I cant answer that!".

Some so-so ideas so far:
Why do most shootings happen in gun free zones? -We all know the answer to that one.
Why gun violence? -It's not called car violence when a drunk driver kills someone. Its not knife violence when your mad girlfriend cuts your dick off.

http://globegazette.com/news/opinio...cle_81ecdcfd-f492-58a4-9197-303d654a645d.html

I know this is her assignment and I shouldn't be doing her work for her but when it comes to the public school system brainwashing kids into thinking guns are bad, I think it warrants some parental involvement.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I know this is her assignment and I shouldn't be doing her work for her but when it comes to the public school system brainwashing kids into thinking guns are bad, I think it warrants some parental involvement.

Actually, a lot more things probably warrant parental involvement. She's still doing the discussion. It's the parents JOB to make sure she is discussing something worthwhile. School isn't supposed to supplant parents, as we see the result overall because it has become so. Shame on any teacher that would criticize a student for getting their parents involved in their assignments. This isn't even close to "doing her homework for her."

Last edited:

HeesBonafide

What about the Children!?

My kid came home with this article and her assignment is to come up with one question that will be discussed in a small group setting. I have some questions in mind but I want something that will throw the teacher for a loop. Something that will make her think "damn, I cant answer that!".

Some so-so ideas so far:
Why do most shootings happen in gun free zones? -We all know the answer to that one.
Why gun violence? -It's not called car violence when a drunk driver kills someone. Its not knife violence when your mad girlfriend cuts your dick off.

http://globegazette.com/news/opinio...cle_81ecdcfd-f492-58a4-9197-303d654a645d.html

I know this is her assignment and I shouldn't be doing her work for her but when it comes to the public school system brainwashing kids into thinking guns are bad, I think it warrants some parental involvement.

"The question isn't, why do we tolerate school shootings..... it's. Knowing that most shootings happen in gun free zones, why are we NOT doing ANYTHING to PROTECT US!!!!!!"

Last edited:

DeSchaine

I would take this as a great time to do a "parental audit" of the class and the teacher. Go and sit in, throw the teacher off his/her game. I've done that with my son's teachers a couple of times.

Dave_pro2a

Proof that the American Public can tolerate nearly horrible activity: public education.

J1MB0B

Thanks for the ides guys. Too, late for a classroom audit, they say they need 24 hours notice for that.
I shower my daughter and she likes this one:
"The question isn't, why do we tolerate school shootings..... it's. Knowing that most shootings happen in gun free zones, why are we NOT doing ANYTHING to PROTECT US!!!!!!"

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Actually, a lot more things probably warrant parental involvement. She's still doing the discussion. It's the parents JOB to make sure she discussing something worthwhile. School isn't supposed to supplant parents, as we see the result overall because it has become so. Shame on any teacher that would criticize a student for getting their parents involved in their assignments. This isn't even close to "doing her homework for her."
+1

This is a great opportunity to teach your daughter critical thinking. Meaning, answer a question with a question. And the answer/question shows the original question is the wrong question.

carolina guy

How can anyone actually still be surprised by these kinds of things occurring in the public indoctrination...errr...education system? :banghead:

Dave_pro2a

How can anyone actually still be surprised by these kinds of things occurring in the public indoctrination...errr...education system? :banghead:

Old Joe isn't surprised.

joseph-goebbels1.jpg

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Thanks for the ides guys. Too, late for a classroom audit, they say they need 24 hours notice for that.
I shower my daughter and she likes this one:

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
OT, but as a parent you should be able to show up whenever you want.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I would take this as a great time to do a "parental audit" of the class and the teacher. Go and sit in, throw the teacher off his/her game. I've done that with my son's teachers a couple of times.

Never too late. Just because you missed this one does not mean you cannot make another "shot" at it.

utbagpiper

Banned
Too late for assignment, but a few angles one might take if it comes again.

"Tolerate? Who says we tolerate school shootings? Everyone who has perpetuated such a crime in this nation is either dead or in prison. Did you want to bring back torture?"

"Why do we tolerate leaving innocent people defenseless by denying them their right to carry a gun?"

"If teachers have to learn CPR, and how to use a fire extinguisher, why don't they also get trained on how to use a gun to defend us?"

"Why do we tolerate the media encouraging copycat crimes? Why don't we impose limits on what the media can report to help prevent so many crimes?"

(Lest there be any confusion, I do not support infringing the 1st amendment. But I do think liberals ought to be forced to explain why they think limits on the 2nd amendment are acceptable while limits on the 1st are not.)

utbagpiper

Banned
OT: The sorry state of public schools

Apologies for an off topic rant:

For any who have children, I think serious consideration needs to be given to educational choices.

Once upon a time--within some of our lifetimes depending on where you lived--public schools were really community schools. They were run by, mostly funded out of, and largely reflected the standards, values, and mores of the community in which they were located. They largely embodied Jefferson's vision for providing education to all regardless of their ability to pay.

While there are good, intelligent, competent, and dedicated teachers left, I do not know of any regular public school that still fits the description of a community school. In Utah we have a growing number of public charter schools, some of which are closer to the community school ideal, but where the community is defined by those who choose to attend and support, rather than by geography. Most private schools (secular and parochial) are quite honest and upfront about what you are getting and you pick one that meets your needs. Home schooling gives great control if one is able and willing to do it. But regular neighborhood schools?

Federal and Statewide funding means that the feds and State exercise far more control than the local school board. No Child Left Behind and Common Core are just different names for the same idea: someone outside your community is setting standards and curriculum. And with textbook publishers rushing to be "common core certified" or to meet the mandates of large buyers like the State of California or Texas, there is ever less chance for parents, or even principals, teachers, or local school boards to really make any meaningful decisions about education.

Many school schedules as well as continuing education requirements now preclude teachers working summer jobs even as the union has convinced most teachers that year round work is beneath them. Most teachers are coming from the bottom 25% or so of college admission test scores, are terrible at math and English themselves, and have really spent 4 years in a teaching college being indoctrinated that little boys should act like little girls or else they have ADHD and need medication. Most math curriculum in use today are--at best--woefully inadequate at teaching the language of science. At worst, they have been designed to deliberately kill any interest in the subject. Ditto for history which presents as little more than disconnected vignettes more worried about having an equal number of women and minorities than about actually imparting a working knowledge of the critical events that lead from the distant past to our present condition. Many schools are dropping cursive entirely; and how do the kids read our founding documents or any other historic handwritten items if they can't read cursive?

Obviously, the individual teachers make all the difference. A good teacher in an otherwise crappy school is probably a better environment than a bad teacher in a great school. But in many cases, no matter how badly someone wants to make airplanes, if he is working in a pocket watch factory he probably isn't going to get airborne. And there are some real gems of schools left. But don't assume that just because you bought in an expensive zip code with "good" schools, that the schools are actually acceptable to those who expect more than babysitting and a lack of violence.

I know we spend a lot of time, effort, and money to be prepared to defend ourselves and our families' physically.

I would suggest that their mental, emotional, spiritual, and educational well being is also worthy of our best efforts, time, and finances.

Get actively involved. Choose schools and teachers carefully. And stay involved with the school work.

Charles

carolina guy

Apologies for an off topic rant:

For any who have children, I think serious consideration needs to be given to educational choices.

Once upon a time--within some of our lifetimes depending on where you lived--public schools were really community schools. They were run by, mostly funded out of, and largely reflected the standards, values, and mores of the community in which they were located. They largely embodied Jefferson's vision for providing education to all regardless of their ability to pay.

While there are good, intelligent, competent, and dedicated teachers left, I do not know of any regular public school that still fits the description of a community school. In Utah we have a growing number of public charter schools, some of which are closer to the community school ideal, but where the community is defined by those who choose to attend and support, rather than by geography. Most private schools (secular and parochial) are quite honest and upfront about what you are getting and you pick one that meets your needs. Home schooling gives great control if one is able and willing to do it. But regular neighborhood schools?

Federal and Statewide funding means that the feds and State exercise far more control than the local school board. No Child Left Behind and Common Core are just different names for the same idea: someone outside your community is setting standards and curriculum. And with textbook publishers rushing to be "common core certified" or to meet the mandates of large buyers like the State of California or Texas, there is ever less chance for parents, or even principals, teachers, or local school boards to really make any meaningful decisions about education.

Many school schedules as well as continuing education requirements now preclude teachers working summer jobs even as the union has convinced most teachers that year round work is beneath them. Most teachers are coming from the bottom 25% or so of college admission test scores, are terrible at math and English themselves, and have really spent 4 years in a teaching college being indoctrinated that little boys should act like little girls or else they have ADHD and need medication. Most math curriculum in use today are--at best--woefully inadequate at teaching the language of science. At worst, they have been designed to deliberately kill any interest in the subject. Ditto for history which presents as little more than disconnected vignettes more worried about having an equal number of women and minorities than about actually imparting a working knowledge of the critical events that lead from the distant past to our present condition. Many schools are dropping cursive entirely; and how do the kids read our founding documents or any other historic handwritten items if they can't read cursive?

Obviously, the individual teachers make all the difference. A good teacher in an otherwise crappy school is probably a better environment than a bad teacher in a great school. But in many cases, no matter how badly someone wants to make airplanes, if he is working in a pocket watch factory he probably isn't going to get airborne. And there are some real gems of schools left. But don't assume that just because you bought in an expensive zip code with "good" schools, that the schools are actually acceptable to those who expect more than babysitting and a lack of violence.

I know we spend a lot of time, effort, and money to be prepared to defend ourselves and our families' physically.

I would suggest that their mental, emotional, spiritual, and educational well being is also worthy of our best efforts, time, and finances.

Get actively involved. Choose schools and teachers carefully. And stay involved with the school work.

Charles

I agree with most of what you say, therefore we home school our children.