• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

motor for gunsmith lathe

gravityzero

hello guys,

I am from Madison. Where can I locally find a good lathe motor? My father uses the machine for gunsmithing. I will take only USA made motor. The one my father uses currently was made in China, so it does not function anymore. Please, share your thoughts, tips..

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Thanks guys,
Initially I wanted to order over the Internet. I thought the price would be cheaper. Though the shipping may be problematic (especially on these days before Christmas) after comparing I stopped at this model https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/26523_vm3546_baldor/ I will drop to Grainger to check this model there.

careful,,, I see a problem, this motor uses 3 phase power,, [h=1]3PH[/h]
most homes are wired, standard 2PH, you would need special electrical stuff to use that motor!

1245A Defender

Well,,,

There is no such thing as two-phase AC as it would be a short.

Indeed all AC wiring is either single-phase (maybe with three conductors) or three-phase necessarily with three-conductors and ground leg.

Two-phase supply has nominal voltage between supply and return, and nominally zero voltage between supply and ground, and between return and ground.

Three-phase supply has nominal distribution voltage between the two hot legs, but nominally half distribution voltage between hots and neutral, and nominally zero voltage between hots, neutral and ground.

There are specialized balancing devices available for creating either phasing from the other, in rotating DIY machinery or static transformers.

well, dang dou... i man nightmare... you are right,,, i misstated my phrase of phases...
my house like most has 2 110 single phase wires coming in
and im not an electrician, nor have i played 1 on tv,
but i have wired a lot of things,, including my 220 volt lathe motor at 3 locations.

i think the important thing we need to remember is that buying a 3 phase motor
for a shop lathe will lead to more trouble than hes gonna want,
and he should buy a single phase motor...

thank you for this important correction...