Thread: Ulster County, N.Y. sheriff urges gun owners to carry firearms after San Bernardino

Ulster County, N.Y. sheriff urges gun owners to carry firearms after San Bernardino

A New York County sheriff is urging residents who can legally carry a firearm to “PLEASE DO SO” in light of the San Bernardino mass shooting Wednesday that killed 14 people.

“In light of recent events that have occurred in the United States and around the world I want to encourage citizens of Ulster County who are licensed to carry a firearm to PLEASE DO SO,” Ulster County Sheriff Paul J. Van Blarcum wrote in a Facebook post Thursday afternoon.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ensed-gun-own/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...xxXy-NnFDCzghM
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-03-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    New York, licensed to carry would total three, maybe five tops.....

Must be a Onion story being regurgitated by the MSM...knowing the nitwittery that is tolerated in/by the MSM.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Must be a Onion story being regurgitated by the MSM...knowing the nitwittery that is tolerated in/by the MSM.
    Please, Lame Stream Media - LSM. We are mainstream Americans.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    a. So, Ulster County Sheriff, exactly how easy is it for one of your residents to obtain a carry permit? A six-month process? Costly? Oh, poor people need not apply.

b. Disregard the question. A New York State carry permit issued in Ulster County isn't valid in New York City, which is also in New York State. So much for equal protection under the law.

Well,,,

i have read that up state new york does issue, and that some folks there do open carry!

see a map, it is the carskill mountains, and the big indian wilderness!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Upstate NY

Upstate New York is a very different political and cultural situation from downstate New York. Most consider the border between the two around Harriman State Park or thereabouts. From Putnam and Dutchess County on northward it is fairly to very pro-gun and pro-carry.

I have been a resident of Delaware County, NY for about 10 years now (Delaware County is located just northwest of Ulster County).

I grew up in New York City and later lived over 20 years on Long Island (Suffolk County)

Having possessed New York State handgun licenses in:

- Suffolk County (to and from the range only)
    - Non-resident NYC license* (locked box target only) and
    - Delaware County (unrestricted carry)** ...

I can tell you that upstate New York is much more similar in political and cultural attitude to Pennsylvania and Vermont than to our Downstate namesake.

With, of course, exceptions such as the Cornell University area and some of the rougher cities along Lake Ontario.

Home rule is the political feature that enables jurisdictions in New York to adapt the state imposed framework (which dates back over 100 years and the Sullivan Law) to the local political and cultural climate.

Yes, it takes some time to get a license in New York, and the background investigation is quite thorough.

Yes. we have the SAFE Act, which causes our AR-15s to look like Star Wars episode 12 blasters.

But after the license is issued, we get the privilege of open-carry deep in the woods where nobody is looking, along with what makes New York famous... mild winters, modest taxes and plentiful high paying jobs.

Oh, wait a minute...

BTW

Before anyone blasts me...

*NYC issued non-NYC-residents (neighboring NYS counties such as Suffolk) the privilege of locking up your handgun in a briefcase and going target shooting in the City (at a range, of course). They discontinued that sometime in the late 1990s.

**By unrestricted I mean all due respect to: not in the post office, schools, courthouses and on an airplane.

Edited...

So yes, the letter from the Sheriff is real, and does reflect the values of the citizens - and LEOs - of the area (mostly).

But no, we do not push our luck, knowing that Gov. AC may pull a midnight raid on more of our rights at any time.

And with all due respect to those who will say "why the F%^K do you live there???" in reality, for the eastern US, we have rather large expanses of woodlands and a very clean natural environment upstate New York thanks to a very active environmental law enforcement and strict regulations. That's why I moved my family here by choice.

I carry my 357 openly on miles of pristine hiking trails. When I am in town with the hipsters from downstate, the shirt tail goes over the grip.
    Last edited by ACE; 12-06-2015 at 05:54 PM.

A Mother Responds to the Local Sheriff's Call for Citizens to Arm Themselves

Perhaps even more disgusting than a public official essentially deputizing his citizens - virtually begging armed vigilantes and drunken bullies to have their day - was the stream of invectives immediately directed at my neighbor, culminating with, "Maybe ISIS will come to your house and we'd all be better off."

"As a mother, I felt utterly threatened, and not only blocked all of these users but also deleted my comment immediately," my neighbor told me. "I do not want to have my name out there and simply felt afraid. Now, isn't that a shame? Sheriff Van Blarcum claims to want to protect people, but his supporters are bullying and threatening those who wholeheartedly disagree with his statement."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karen-...b_8724834.html

Ah...the Huffing and Puffington Post...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

More...

The group (new York Revolution) claimed that as of 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, 15 New York sheriffs have supported Blarcum. Those sheriffs represent the following counties: Sullivan, Lewis, Putnam, Orange, Washington, Saratoga, Warren, Schoharie, Oneida, Fulton, Chenango, Wayne, Steuben, Delaware and Schuyler.

Albany:

oncealednation.org/2015/12/albany-county-sheriff-craig-apple-bad-guys-win-when-were-in-fear-promotes-concealed-carry-in-his-county-alongside-training/

Delaware:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...104965&fref=nf