• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time buyer in tacoma!

chaddy

Been going out shooting with my buddies a lot recently and am looking to purchase my own so I'm not always using their guns. Can anyone recommend some places with reasonable prices and quality?

looking to purchase a pistol and shotgun for the home. I am in no hurry as i'm on a limited budget and a place with layaway would be great.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Been going out shooting with my buddies a lot recently and am looking to purchase my own so I'm not always using their guns. Can anyone recommend some places with reasonable prices and quality?

looking to purchase a pistol and shotgun for the home. I am in no hurry as i'm on a limited budget and a place with layaway would be great.

Welcome chaddy! I work at the Lacey Cabelas gun counter. We have a large selection, and I would be happy to help you out.

Also this goes out to all. There will be a group shoot at Evergreen Sportsman Club Jan 1st.
http://www.shootesc.com/
Chuck
You can PM to meet up.

Last edited:

Alpine

You'll find the best prices in the region and good service at Outdoor Emporium in Seattle and their sister store Sportco in Tacoma. LowPirceGuns in Bellevue is also worth checking.

Also check out Precise Shooter in Seattle, they carry rare stuff at good prices.

solus

chaddy, welcome to the forum.

go to the places that have been suggested to you, DO NOT BY RIGHT OFF THE STARTING LINE...

do your homework on reviews on what type of firearm you are looking for, e.g., Rev/Pistol, cost, usage ~ Personal protection, plunking, etc., on al gore's invention, then compare prices and visit the emporiums you want and window shop and do a form fit and grasp of the firearm you BELIEVE you wish to purchase...

remember, with the exception of the trigger finger the knuckles go under the trigger guard.

then toddle back to al gore's internet and look at buds, etc. and make sure you get free shipping to the FFL of your choice.

remember and consider the box stores have good prices but want to turn firearms so will push firearms which might not suit your needs.

finally, i know you have been out w/friends...go find an unbiased NRA basic pistol course and take it prior to purchasing your firearm.

best of luck in your quest.

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/jeremy-s/gun-review-kel-tec-pmr-30/

A 22 LR is a nice gun...if you have a female she may appreciate it too. Easy to hit your target and cheap to operate.
I know, people think a 45 is needed but if you get shot 10x with a 22 LR you'll know it, if you live.

Or a 357 is also a nice home defense.

Best to get a gun that you can shoot well. Regardless of anything else.

Happy shooting.

A shotgun? Nothing wrong with a Remington 870 pump...add on a tube ext. for 10rd capacity and alternate the type of load and you are good to go. The 870 is a great weapon platform.

Alpine

Your best bet is to go to a range that rents a lot of handguns for a flat fee, like West Coast Armory, and see which ones you like best.

For carry I prefer 1911-style single action guns, especially the Sigs. They have good quality, good accuracy, are reasonably compact and love that single action smooth-as-butter trigger pull and firing action.

I know Wade's is having a Sig event this weekend but honestly you should avoid Wade's like the plague. They have high prices, rude staff, and people have been shot at their neighboring range as well as the range's bad lead mitigation and management practices spawned a hit pieces on ranges in general by the Seattle Times.

Last edited: