• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would this be legal in Forida?

FFM173

With all the recent BS going on in the country, I am wondering if storing a rifle in my truck in a roof mounted rack would be legal. Any advice or opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO.

"Vehicle carry without a license when the weapon is not immediately accessible/available for use is permitted.

• Handguns – must be either "securely encased" -F.S.S.790.25(3)(l) Some cite this as a grey area or risky- or not immediately available for use.[SUP][18][/SUP] "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.[SUP][19][/SUP] Carry of a Handgun on one's person inside a vehicle without a license is not permitted (except in the case of open carry in accordance with the law outlined above). Once a handgun is securely encased, it can be stored anywhere inside the vehicle and is not limited to just the glove compartment/center console.
  • Long Guns – a legal firearm other than a handgun may be anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.[SUP][20]"[/SUP]
[SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Florida[/SUP]