• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2016:HB49 Right to keep and bear arms.

TFred

I can't tell you what an honor it is to be represented in the General Assembly by Mark Cole. McAuliffe will certainly veto it (I can't even imagine what sort of a lame excuse he would write for that, other than "I hate the US Constitution"), but this is a critical line in the sand that must make it to his desk to force his hand!

TFred

Virginia Bill Takes Unique First Step Toward Protecting the Second Amendment

HOUSE BILL NO. 49
Offered January 13, 2016
Prefiled November 25, 2015
A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 1-240.2, relating to the right to keep and bear arms.
----------
Patrons-- Cole and Poindexter
----------
Committee Referral Pending
----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 1-240.2 as follows:

§ 1-240.2. Right to keep and bear arms.

The right to keep and bear arms conferred by Article I, Section 13 of the Constitution of Virginia and the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is an individual right that is unconnected with militia service.

2. That it is the expressed intent of the General Assembly that this act codify the opinion of the Supreme Court of the United States in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008).

Last edited:

ChristCrusader

The right to keep and bear arms conferred by Article I, Section 13 of the Constitution of Virginia and the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is an individual right that is unconnected with militia service.
Let's not go overboard and write out the armed militia from the code. The right of the people and of the states to an armed militia was one of the intended purposes of both declarative amendments (2nd & 13th).
It's an individual and a collective right.
It's for personal and collective defense from individual and institutional criminals, foreign and domestic.
"... that is not limited just to militia service."

... and Cole is fantastic

Last edited:

TFred

I pasted the entire bill in my original post above. It does nothing to remove the militia, it just makes clear that being a part of a militia is not a requirement for the ownership and possession of arms.

Take another look at how the bill is constructed. Paragraph 1 adds a new Section to the Code of Virginia:

The right to keep and bear arms conferred by Article I, Section 13 of the Constitution of Virginia and the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is an individual right that is unconnected with militia service.​

Paragraph 2 does not change the Code of Virginia, but merely makes a statement about the intent of the General Assembly:

That it is the expressed intent of the General Assembly that this act codify the opinion of the Supreme Court of the United States in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008).​
These kinds of bills can be a little confusing, because once they are passed and the Code is updated, the second paragraph is NOT included in the Code itself. That is why you have to go back to the CHAPTERS that are published, which is where Paragraph 2 will remain as a part of the record.

A similar thing happened a few years back with the air-gun law. It was just such a paragraph (that was not included in the actual Code of Virginia) that made void any existing ordinance that did not allow for the changes being introduced by that bill.

TFred

Repeater

I pasted the entire bill in my original post above. It does nothing to remove the militia, it just makes clear that being a part of a militia is not a requirement for the ownership and possession of arms.

Take another look at how the bill is constructed. Paragraph 1 adds a new Section to the Code of Virginia:

The right to keep and bear arms conferred by Article I, Section 13 of the Constitution of Virginia and the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is an individual right that is unconnected with militia service.​

Paragraph 2 does not change the Code of Virginia, but merely makes a statement about the intent of the General Assembly:

That it is the expressed intent of the General Assembly that this act codify the opinion of the Supreme Court of the United States in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008).​
These kinds of bills can be a little confusing, because once they are passed and the Code is updated, the second paragraph is NOT included in the Code itself. That is why you have to go back to the CHAPTERS that are published, which is where Paragraph 2 will remain as a part of the record.

A similar thing happened a few years back with the air-gun law. It was just such a paragraph (that was not included in the actual Code of Virginia) that made void any existing ordinance that did not allow for the changes being introduced by that bill.

TFred

Seems unenforceable. Seems like a stunt.

The Wolfhound

The right is NOT confered by the Virginia Constitution

It is confirmed in the Constitution. It is a human right recognized by the Constitution. It exists with or without the Constitution. Semantics matter a lot! The wording must be fixed or it becomes something the Commonwealth can issue or take away. Terry might approve it just to be legal in taking it away.:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Repeater

It is confirmed in the Constitution. It is a human right recognized by the Constitution. It exists with or without the Constitution. Semantics matter a lot! The wording must be fixed or it becomes something the Commonwealth can issue or take away. Terry might approve it just to be legal in taking it away.:banghead:

I agree, of course. Even so, I prefer the term safeguarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

TFred

From the bill:

2. That it is the expressed intent of the General Assembly that this act codify the opinion of the Supreme Court of the United States in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008).
From DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, Page 19:

c. Meaning of the Operative Clause. Putting all of these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. This meaning is strongly confirmed by the historical background of the Second Amendment. We look to this because it has always been widely understood that the Second Amendment, like the First and Fourth Amendments, codified a pre-existing right. The very text of the Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it “shall not be infringed.” As we said in United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U. S. 542, 553 (1876), “[t]his is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second amendment declares that it shall not be infringed . . . .”​

TFred

user

Accomplished Advocate
I'd have preferred the word, "described", rather than "conferred". No government can grant you something you already have by virtue of natural law or divine providence. The right to personal defense pre-existed any government, and all the constitutional provisions do is recognize the fact that you have that right and prohibit people operating the government from trying to mess with it. Try telling a wolf in the wild that he doesn't have the right to defend himself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd have preferred the word, "described", rather than "conferred". No government can grant you something you already have by virtue of natural law or divine providence. The right to personal defense pre-existed any government, and all the constitutional provisions do is recognize the fact that you have that right and prohibit people operating the government from trying to mess with it. Try telling a wolf in the wild that he doesn't have the right to defend himself.
Would not that same wolf have the right to treat you as a food source? :uhoh:

Now I'm thinking about a wolf trimmed parka for extreme cold weather.....to be offered in homage by brother wolf.

solus

Would not that same wolf have the right to treat you as a food source? :uhoh:

Now I'm thinking about a wolf trimmed parka for extreme cold weather.....to be offered in homage by brother wolf.

might not be needed this winter

ipse