Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holsters and Methods for Carry in Vehicles

Holsters and Methods for Carry in Vehicles

Hello everyone, I am trying to find some information about holsters or other quickly accessible methods of carrying a handgun in a vehicle as my standard carry position makes it difficult to draw while seated in my car. I tried searching the forum for recommendations but didn't get any good hits, maybe I didn't search the right terms?

Please let me know how you carry in a vehicle, especially if it is off-body and provide recommendations for equipment types and brands which you would recommend!

In case it is relevant I have a manual transmission on the floor. I was thinking about a "saddle bag" type of setup where I could just have it by my right leg below the shifter on the tunnel wall.

Thanks in advance!!

-Laser McB

A fellow BMW X5 owner recommended
    http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    This works for me in my Dodge Ram even w/o a holster.
    The hand gun is actually forward of the console box, just to the right of my leg = very secure, very accessible.
    It is vehicle form of Mexican carry.

Note that this is not my vehicle - picture is intended only as an example.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-06-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Looks like that 2nd gun needs a holster too.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Use Grapeshot's picture as my example as well. I don't transfer it half the time (I OC a 1911 at 3:30, so not too uncomfortable anyway) but if I'm going to an extended trip, then I definitely do. Also, picture my dog on the console (full-size pickup with a big console) instead of a second gun.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I am not crazy about the steering column setup from gum creek. I liked the attached image from Texas Custom Holsters: http://www.texascustomholsters.com/

I want to avoid drilling and fastening the holster to the tunnel though. Maybe I can rig up something like the gum creek webbing around the center console to support the holster. I will also have to see if I can wedge it as easily as you have done Grapeshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vehicleholstertexascustom.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	12885  

The ultimate advantage of the Gum Creek is no drilling required.

It's pretty much where I 'carried' in my VW Jetta, between the adjustable column and the fascia. All the machinery was black plastic and the black plastic butt was nicely camouflaged to all but knowing eyes.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    ........ I don't transfer it half the time
    (I OC a 1911 at 3:30, so not too uncomfortable anyway)...........
    I have been OCing a 1911 commander lately. I put it in a "wild bunch" holster and wear a second belt just below my trouser belt. The pistol sits a bit lower, is very comfortable and easily "adjustable". I, too, keep it at 3:30, but when entering a four wheel vehicle, I can slide it a bit more forward and it almost sits on top of my leg. Very accessible. When de@ssing the vehicle, it gets re-positioned to walking position. Very handy. This method was used about a hundred years ago, by Cowboys on horses. Very common carry then and it is comfortable.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Do a search for "Gun Cup Holster". I see them in a monthly catalog I receive in the mail. The model I'm familiar with fits a standard size vehicle cup holder, and has a foam liner.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SW40VE-OC; 12-14-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SW40VE-OC View Post
    Do a search for "Gun Cup Holster". I see them in a monthly catalog I receive in the mail. The model I'm familiar with fits a standard size vehicle cup holder, and has a foam liner.
    http://www.guncupholster.com/

Anybody ever use one of these? I would have some reservations: The rig looks top heavy w/gun inserted - not so sure it would be stable.

If it were to hold everything tight, then you might end up with a cup on the end of your pistol when drawing it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Aggressive DA (sp) might deem that t/b a 'homemade silencer'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I carry my handgun in a vehicle the same way a carry outside the vehicle.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    well said...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

As in singular?

The one on my hip stays obediently where it is....but there is another lurking close at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As in singular?

The one on my hip stays obediently where it is....but there is another lurking close at hand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shs no evil.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	12890

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

^ ^ ^ Nice rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As in singular?

Hardly ever have a 2nd handgun in the vehicle more likely to have a rifle or shotgun along.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Hardly ever have a 2nd handgun in the vehicle more likely to have a rifle or shotgun along.
    Yes, there is always a long gun in the vehicle. This country is at war, after all. But for self-defense while still seated in the vehicle, a handgun is probably a better choice, and some will find a second handgun easier to grab than one behind their back.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Don't forget the body armor if one feels the need to carry two handguns it would be wise to wear armor on a daily basis not a sexy as 2nd gun but likely more important.

Who said anything about carrying two guns?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Yes, there is always a long gun in the vehicle. This country is at war, after all. But for self-defense while still seated in the vehicle, a handgun is probably a better choice, and some will find a second handgun easier to grab than one behind their back.
    only put the LG on board when i leave the immediate area...

ipse

Don't forget the body armor if one feels the need to carry two handguns it would be wise to wear armor on a daily basis ........
    I do not wear or carry armor on a daily basis (retired). If "travelling" tho, shotgun and plate carrier in the boot.

I still do not like the idea of disarming in a vehicle. A swiftly moving vehicle, hitting you unannounced, will disorient you a bit and may make a missile out of a pistol.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I do not wear or carry armor on a daily basis (retired). If "travelling" tho, shotgun and plate carrier in the boot.
    I tell everybody who asked when well we know things have turned bad I tell them when you see me with my armor on, web gear and my carbine hanging from its tac sling.

I mostly carry shotgun because it is bird season of some type.

A rifle because coyotes need shooting year around.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 12-21-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    ...A swiftly moving vehicle, hitting you unannounced, will disorient you a bit and may make a missile out of a pistol.
    This was one of the MANY mistakes made by the FBI in the infamous 1986 Miami shootout. Instead of holstering or otherwise securing sidearms when getting into the vehicle for more chasing, the driver put his gun on the seat. He was shot while reaching under the dash to retrieve it after the screeching stop.

Underneath my left leg pointing towards the door just like I did for many years while on patrol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast