• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters and Methods for Carry in Vehicles

Firearms Iinstuctor

I do not wear or carry armor on a daily basis (retired). If "travelling" tho, shotgun and plate carrier in the boot.

I tell everybody who asked when well we know things have turned bad I tell them when you see me with my armor on, web gear and my carbine hanging from its tac sling.

I mostly carry shotgun because it is bird season of some type.

A rifle because coyotes need shooting year around.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...A swiftly moving vehicle, hitting you unannounced, will disorient you a bit and may make a missile out of a pistol.

This was one of the MANY mistakes made by the FBI in the infamous 1986 Miami shootout. Instead of holstering or otherwise securing sidearms when getting into the vehicle for more chasing, the driver put his gun on the seat. He was shot while reaching under the dash to retrieve it after the screeching stop.

Nang pa

Hello everyone, I am trying to find some information about holsters or other quickly accessible methods of carrying a handgun in a vehicle as my standard carry position makes it difficult to draw while seated in my car. I tried searching the forum for recommendations but didn't get any good hits, maybe I didn't search the right terms?

Please let me know how you carry in a vehicle, especially if it is off-body and provide recommendations for equipment types and brands which you would recommend!

In case it is relevant I have a manual transmission on the floor. I was thinking about a "saddle bag" type of setup where I could just have it by my right leg below the shifter on the tunnel wall.

Thanks in advance!!

-Laser McB
I'm a fan of shoulder and same-side ankle carry.