Thread: NRA video response to Obama's call for more gun control

State Researcher

NRA video response to Obama's call for more gun control

The NRA's Wayne LaPierre has done a four and half minute video discussing the President's refusal to enforce existing federal gun laws including prosecuting convicted felons and known violent gang members with guns. He points out the high number of gang related deaths compared to the relatively rare mass shootings. It is reasonably well done I think and may appeal to a lot of undecideds.

Admittedly, there are federal laws on the books, to which he refers, to which some here including myself object. But so long as their are laws on the books that go beyond what one might consider entirely constitutional limits there is no rational reason to demand more unconstitutional laws while existing laws are not being enforced.

And whatever other criticisms I have or have had of the NRA (and this is neither the time nor place to air those, especially given forum rules against bashing other gun groups), I've been pleased to see LaPierre/NRA take a firm stance against new gun laws in the wake of school/mass shootings. I appreciate them pointing out these tend to take place in so-called "gun free zones".

The text on the page is a bit over the top about "Brutal Warnings" and all that. But the video itself is not bad, IMO.

The video is embedded at this link, about half way down the page. Sorry, but I don't know of a way to give a direct link to the video itself.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Say what you want about the NRA, but where would we be without them? I'm proud to be a member. Keep up the good work.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    The NRA's Wayne LaPierre has done a four and half minute video discussing the President's refusal to enforce existing federal gun laws including prosecuting convicted felons and known violent gang members with guns. He points out the high number of gang related deaths compared to the relatively rare mass shootings. It is reasonably well done I think and may appeal to a lot of undecideds.
    --snipped--
    The video is embedded at this link, about half way down the page. Sorry, but I don't know of a way to give a direct link to the video itself.

Charles
    Direct link:
    https://www.nranews.com/series/wayne...-violent-crime
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Too much about enforcing current laws, not enough about repealing unconstitutional ones.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Too much about enforcing current laws, not enough about repealing unconstitutional ones.
    I certainly agree with you in terms of where we ought to be headed.

But in terms of "marketing" against calls for additional infringements of our RKBA, I think the video is not a bad approach for the non-gun-owners whose political support we need. "Actually enforce current laws before asking for new laws," is not a bad pitch to most of middle-America.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.