• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA video response to Obama's call for more gun control

utbagpiper

Banned
The NRA's Wayne LaPierre has done a four and half minute video discussing the President's refusal to enforce existing federal gun laws including prosecuting convicted felons and known violent gang members with guns. He points out the high number of gang related deaths compared to the relatively rare mass shootings. It is reasonably well done I think and may appeal to a lot of undecideds.

Admittedly, there are federal laws on the books, to which he refers, to which some here including myself object. But so long as their are laws on the books that go beyond what one might consider entirely constitutional limits there is no rational reason to demand more unconstitutional laws while existing laws are not being enforced.

And whatever other criticisms I have or have had of the NRA (and this is neither the time nor place to air those, especially given forum rules against bashing other gun groups), I've been pleased to see LaPierre/NRA take a firm stance against new gun laws in the wake of school/mass shootings. I appreciate them pointing out these tend to take place in so-called "gun free zones".

The text on the page is a bit over the top about "Brutal Warnings" and all that. But the video itself is not bad, IMO.

The video is embedded at this link, about half way down the page. Sorry, but I don't know of a way to give a direct link to the video itself.

Charles

REPR

Say what you want about the NRA, but where would we be without them? I'm proud to be a member. Keep up the good work.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The NRA's Wayne LaPierre has done a four and half minute video discussing the President's refusal to enforce existing federal gun laws including prosecuting convicted felons and known violent gang members with guns. He points out the high number of gang related deaths compared to the relatively rare mass shootings. It is reasonably well done I think and may appeal to a lot of undecideds.
--snipped--
The video is embedded at this link, about half way down the page. Sorry, but I don't know of a way to give a direct link to the video itself.

Charles

Direct link:
https://www.nranews.com/series/wayn...-season-1-episode-1-how-to-stop-violent-crime

utbagpiper

Banned
Too much about enforcing current laws, not enough about repealing unconstitutional ones.

I certainly agree with you in terms of where we ought to be headed.

But in terms of "marketing" against calls for additional infringements of our RKBA, I think the video is not a bad approach for the non-gun-owners whose political support we need. "Actually enforce current laws before asking for new laws," is not a bad pitch to most of middle-America.

Charles