• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open cary in PA

Nate Planell

Hello , I have a very resonable question here .
I'm 19 and want to do open cary walks , Fair enough right . I'm trying to figure out if i can be arrested or cited for open carrying in public streets.
Now i did some home work form my .GOV site here in PA and here is the link .
http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/

Now with that here , I'm not OCing in Phili , Nor a first class Jurisdiction .
Am i able to use my constitutional right.

____________________Update_____________________
If it helps I'm open carrying a AR-15

Last edited:

Mr Birdman

TGI Fridays

Hello , I have a very resonable question here .
I'm 19 and want to do open cary walks , Fair enough right . I'm trying to figure out if i can be arrested or cited for open carrying in public streets.
Now i did some home work form my .GOV site here in PA and here is the link .
http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry/

Now with that here , I'm not OCing in Phili , Nor a first class Jurisdiction .

Just do not try to carry in TGI Friday's :shocker::shocker:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Short answer: Yes, you can.

Longer answer: You can open carry outside of your residence as long as you walk everywhere.

No skateboards, bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, cars, taxicabs, buses, horses, riding lawnmowers, rollerblades or any other conveyances may be used in any part of your journey.

You can not conceal your handgun anywhere along the way.

If sighted by a law enforcement officer, you may be questioned concerning your age.

It's legal for you to open carry, but is it wise? Due to your age, you may well attract unwanted attention, and it's generally a lot easier going through life maintaining a low profile, blending into the background.

Patience, Grasshopper, in two years you'll be able to get your LTCF.

solus

Short answer: Yes, you can.
Longer answer: You can open carry outside of your residence as long as you walk everywhere.
No skateboards, bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, cars, taxicabs, buses, horses, riding lawnmowers, rollerblades or any other conveyances may be used in any part of your journey.
You can not conceal your handgun anywhere along the way.
If sighted by a law enforcement officer, you may be questioned concerning your age.
It's legal for you to open carry, but is it wise? Due to your age, you may well attract unwanted attention, and it's generally a lot easier going through life maintaining a low profile, blending into the background.
Patience, Grasshopper, in two years you'll be able to get your LTCF.

Statkowski, got a cite for your statement...? (you know kinda like the forum rules dictate?)

OP...see what the PA specifically state...and let's see if a game plan can be made ...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Re the OP's update = "If it helps I'm open carrying a AR-15."

Please read and understand our Forum Rules.

Take note particularly rule #14:
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.

Steve in PA

Being that the OP is under 21 and therefore not eligible for a license to carry, he can only open carry anywhere in PA, with the exception being Philly, because Philly requires the person to have a LTCF.

Therefore he can only carry on foot. Why? Because in order to carry in a vehicle (actually, any conveyance designed to move people), the OP would need a LTCF.

solus

Re the OP's update = "If it helps I'm open carrying a AR-15."

Please read and understand our Forum Rules.

Take note particularly rule #14:
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.

ya but grape, he added that comment right before you posted...

ipse

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Statkowski, got a cite for your statement...? (you know kinda like the forum rules dictate?)

First, one must remember that the law is silent concerning open carry. By default, it's legal (since it hasn't been made illegal).

18 Pa. C.S. § 6110.1. Possession of firearm by minor.
(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

In this section it states that someone under 18 can't carry except under certain exceptions (which I didn't list). Our OP is 19, so, by default, he can carry.

18 Pa. C.S. § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

This section states that you can't carry concealed, or carry in a vehicle without an LTCF. Our OP cannot get an LTCF since he's too young.

Ergo, ipso facto, et cetera, and a few other Latin words and phrases, between the ages of 18 and 20, inclusive, one may open carry per state law.

Somewhere in the statutes, or court decisions, the term "vehicle" is described as a conveyance in or on which a person may be transported, or words to that effect.

Last edited: