Thread: X Marks the Spot That Makes Online Ads So Maddening. Cured by Adblock Browser!

X Marks the Spot That Makes Online Ads So Maddening. Cured by Adblock Browser!

Industry executives say it is quite likely that publishers and mobile developers are deliberately building ads that are hard to escape or shut down. “The ones that are incredibly invasive are designed to be that way,” said Brian Gleason, the global chief executive of Xaxis, a media and technology company owned by the advertising giant WPP.

Mike Pilawski, vice president for product at Vungle, which builds and serves mobile video ads, says some advertisers ask Vungle to make the whole screen clickable at the end of the ad — not just the X or other specific buttons — which would make the ad difficult to close. He says Vungle refuses to do that, but it does design ads with X buttons in the top left instead of the usual top right. The switch confounds some users, though he insists that is not the intent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/07/bu...maddening.html

Browse fast, safe and free of annoying ads with Adblock Browser

https://adblockbrowser.org/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Adblock blocks most adds on this forum.

I won't go to most TV news sites because of all the adds they load. News websites are not news websites, they are advertising sites with some news.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Adblock blocks most adds on this forum.

I won't go to most TV news sites because of all the adds they load. News websites are not news websites, they are advertising sites with some news.
    Like most newspapers...
    Han shot first.