• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applying for pistol permit after 12/1/15

BBGun

I just went online to order a couple pistol permits like I did back in July when I got my first one. I was surprised when I saw this posted on the Wake website:
**Effective December 1, 2015, North Carolina General Statute 14-404(e1) requires applicants to sign a release of court orders concerning mental health and capacity for pistol purchase permits.

**You MUST come in to the Sheriff’s Office within five (5) business days after you have completed the online portion of the application. Your application process will not begin until this final step has been completed.

Why can't I just authorize it online?

Back in July I was approved the same day. Now it looks like I'm going to have to make two trips downtown.

BBGun

So today I went to downtown Raleigh, signed the form, and asked if the receptionist knew how long they were taking to process. She said she didn't know, this is a brand new process and it depends on how backed-up the county clerk was.

I'm still not sure what difference the state is doing now that it couldn't do previously. It didn't say they could look into medical records, it says they can look into my court records regarding mental illness. Anyone?

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

It didn't say they could look into medical records, it says they can look into my court records regarding mental illness. Anyone?

Exactly correct. You are signing a release to allow the court to provide info of court ordered mental health care; you are not allowing your doctor or other medical professional to release info to the sheriff. This actually clarifies the type of mental health treatment a person has received; previously, some sheriffs may not have differentiated between involuntary (court ordered) and voluntary (individual decision) treatment.

Excerpt from NC GS14-404: (eff 1 Dec 15)
(e1) The application for a permit shall be on a form created by the State Bureau of Investigation in consultation with the North Carolina Sheriffs' Association. This application shall be used by all sheriffs and must be provided by the sheriff both electronically and in paper form. Only the following shall be required to be submitted by an applicant for a permit:
(1) The permit application developed pursuant to this subsection.
(2) Five dollars for each permit requested pursuant to subsection (e) of this section.
(3) A government issued identification confirming the identity of the applicant.
House Bill 562-Ratified Session Law 2015-195 Page 7
(4) Proof of residency.
(5) A signed release, in a form to be prescribed by the Administrative Office of the Court, that authorizes and requires disclosure to the sheriff of any court orders concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant to be used for the sole purpose of determining whether the applicant is disqualified to receive a permit pursuant to this section.
No additional document or evidence shall be required from any applicant.

bc.cruiser

BC, et al., instead of using a worthless scrap of outdated piece of paper for reference...

what say we reference DOJ's AG 'guidance', dtd dec 15, until al gore's internet catches up with the appropriate reference on the statutes sites....

ipse

Well excuse me! What I referenced is the final wording of session law 2015-195, which is certainly not outdated. Just because you are rather fond of Mr. Cooper does not invalidate any other reference. I grant that the DOJ handbook wording is easier to understand.

Last edited:

BBGun

I just checked my online status and it is still stuck at "assigning to processor shortly..." after 5 days.

I called records at "919-856-6949" and was told they have over 700 waiting and I probably won't hear anything "for a few more days".

This is like having a 1 week wait law. I suppose if I got my concealed permit, I wouldn't be waiting, correct?

dmatting

I just checked my online status and it is still stuck at "assigning to processor shortly..." after 5 days.

I called records at "919-856-6949" and was told they have over 700 waiting and I probably won't hear anything "for a few more days".

This is like having a 1 week wait law. I suppose if I got my concealed permit, I wouldn't be waiting, correct?

when you apply for your chp, you wait a whole lot longer.

if you already had a ppp in hand, you wouldn't be waiting either. i would suggest getting as many as you can at one time cuz they are good for 5 years.

solus

when you apply for your chp, you wait a whole lot longer.

if you already had a ppp in hand, you wouldn't be waiting either. i would suggest getting as many as you can at one time cuz they are good for 5 years.

5 max at at a time in wayne... but come back next week

ipse

Resto Guy

No, you would not. You are correct on that because having the CHP also serves the purpose of a purchase permit.

BBGun

Pistol Permits were approved yesterday...so it took a week. I got two this time. Wasn't sure what the maximum was or if I could just get them to bump the number they printed out.

I sent off for my VA non-resident CHP today. From what I understand it's not good for purchasing pistols, but there is carry reciprocity.

solus

Pistol Permits were approved yesterday...so it took a week. I got two this time. Wasn't sure what the maximum was or if I could just get them to bump the number they printed out.

I sent off for my VA non-resident CHP today. From what I understand it's not good for purchasing pistols, but there is carry reciprocity.

why am i confused...reside in NC and are going after VA non resident permit?

guess it truly is the season...

ipse

BBGun

why am i confused...reside in NC and are going after VA non resident permit?

I know it sounds weird, but it's really just time constraints. My wife is quadriplegic and I have no one to stay with her for 8+ hours while I take another class. I could test out of the shooting portion as I've already practiced with those targets & was stricter with myself than the test would be. But there is still class time. In VA, my NRA pistol class certificate already qualifies me for their permit. I can read NC rules online I assume, like "must notify".

solus

I know it sounds weird, but it's really just time constraints. My wife is quadriplegic and I have no one to stay with her for 8+ hours while I take another class. I could test out of the shooting portion as I've already practiced with those targets & was stricter with myself than the test would be. But there is still class time. In VA, my NRA pistol class certificate already qualifies me for their permit. I can read NC rules online I assume, like "must notify".

if you have your NRA basic pistol cert apply for FLs

ipse

BBGun

if you have your NRA basic pistol cert apply for FLs

ipse

OK. I'll look into it, thanks.
I was told to get "as many as I can". Can you explain the rationale for that? Is it just to make sure you're covered for most states?

solus

OK. I'll look into it, thanks.
I was told to get "as many as I can". Can you explain the rationale for that? Is it just to make sure you're covered for most states?

favor mate...pm me and lets see if we can meet in person soon to discuss and possibly mitigate your true needs...fair?

ipse