Thread: Squirrel Hunting question.

Squirrel Hunting question.

Got a big eared German Shepherd that can hear a squirrel from a hundred yards. Go for long walks in the woods and she will take off at a run out of the blue and chase a squirrel up a tree. She's a natural. Didn't even train her!!!! She rarely has a false alarm, tho sometimes she gets on a chipmunk. I just saw the recent hunting question and it kind of triggered the idea that I could OC my Henry .22 and maybe bag a couple of bushy tails at the same time. In season and licensed only.

Wondering if that would be illegal, immoral, or unethical? I could walk around without the dog and probably only see 1/10 of the same number, maybe less. She pinpoints them, then I only have to find them in the tree. Plus, she's on one side and chased them around to me, similar to having two hunters. Right now I am telling her to go up there and get them, but we are not that far advanced in our training.

I'm only half joking, the more than I think about it......guess I will go dig around on the Wisconsin DNR site.

Shoulda done my research first. Looks like dogs are legal on small game mammals. I suspect they are thinking rabbits however. But they don't say not for squirrels. Need some good squirrel recipes, we are pretty much over run by the things.

Sounds like a great squirrel dog and lots of fun use to have a lab that would tree them then bark.

We would go and shoot them.

Shoot a few over her and she will only become better.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    Shoulda done my research first. Looks like dogs are legal on small game mammals. I suspect they are thinking rabbits however. But they don't say not for squirrels. Need some good squirrel recipes, we are pretty much over run by the things.
    If you try these let us know how it was.

Georgia Pellegrini, Rabbit Hare & Squirrel Recipes. http://georgiapellegrini.com/topics/...hare-squirrel/

Survival Forum I ran across years ago. http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/u...;f=66;t=000048

Pretty much any rabbit recipe will work with squirrels too.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Banned
    Cousin Eddie doesn't eat squirrels anymore, he heard that they were high in fat.

Don't eat the squirrel brains - high probability of mad cow disease, but it takes 20-30 years, so okay if you are say 'middle aged' around 60....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651