Thread: Pre-filed Bills

Pre-filed Bills

Legislature is cranking up early this year. Keep your eye on the ball(s).

SJM 8015 - 2015-16

Click on green "Original Bill" link under the "Available Documents" column.

Asking congress to call a limited convention, authorized under Article V of the United States Constitution, for the purpose of proposing a free and fair elections amendment to that Constitution.

All pre-filed bills Here

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

That's the problem with Article V conventions, once called, even with a limited commission, there is no parliamentary or statutory mechanism to limit the considerations.

Be careful of what one wishes as you may get it good and hard.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Congresscritters are not part of this process. Only states, and anything produced in these requires state legislature approval, so any concepts of 'runaway' proposals are a dead issue - anything kooky will not be approved by state legislatures. Btw about 2/3rds of state legislatures are already controlled by republicans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    [ ... ] Btw about 2/3rds of state legislatures are already controlled by republicans.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    +1

The Articles of confederation was never authorized by the states to be overthrown.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Article 5 is the only way we are going to get term limits in congress to return the system to the way it was meant to operate they sure as heck are not going to do it themselves(congress), or a balanced budget amendment and so forth.

It still has to go through the entire process the thing article 5 gives us is the chance for the states to propose things. people forget the states created the federal government not the other way around.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

That's the problem with Article V conventions, once called, even with a limited commission, there is no parliamentary or statutory mechanism to limit the considerations.

So tired of hearing this.

For the last time, a runaway convention is impossible because anything that comes out of it has to be ratified by 38 states.

For the last time, a runaway is impossible because the barn door can be shut after it's gone. Ratification happens after the Article V Convention is done, along with the damage.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

For the last time, a runaway is impossible because the barn door can be shut after it's gone. Ratification happens after the Article V Convention is done, along with the damage.
    The founders gave two methods for amending the constitution. The method that has been used for all amendments up until now, and article 5, which is a Hail-Mary/punt. With the traditional method, we know what the possible outcomes are. With a Con-Con, they could throw out the whole thing and start from scratch if they wanted to, which is exactly what they did the last time we had a Con-Con.

It's to dangerous.

You think there aren't 13 states that would vote no on a gutting of the 2nd or 10th Amendments? Seriously?

Alaska
    Texas
    Alabama
    Kentucky
    Idaho
    Utah
    Wyoming
    Montana
    Kansas
    Indiana
    Arkansas
    Maine
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    etc

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    The founders gave two methods for amending the constitution. The method that has been used for all amendments up until now, and article 5, which is a Hail-Mary/punt. With the traditional method, we know what the possible outcomes are. With a Con-Con, they could throw out the whole thing and start from scratch if they wanted to, which is exactly what they did the last time we had a Con-Con.

It's to dangerous.
    You may want to actually read article 5 sometime...
    The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.
    The two methods are both only for Amendments, not for scrapping the whole thing. I suppose you could pass an Amendment to scrap the whole thing but 38 states would have to vote yes. There is a greater chance of aliens coming down and wiping out humanity than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    You think there aren't 13 states that would vote no on a gutting of the 2nd or 10th Amendments? Seriously?

Alaska
    Texas
    Alabama
    Kentucky
    Idaho
    Utah
    Wyoming
    Montana
    Kansas
    Indiana
    Arkansas
    Maine
    North Dakota
    South Dakota
    etc
    Add...

Arizona
    Vermont
    Missouri
    Florida
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    North Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    West Virginia
    Nevada
    Tennessee
    Virginia
    Oklahoma
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Do you think there w/b 38 states restricting the Federal Government re: 10th Amendment? Putting in a 15 year Limit on SCOTUS? Repealing the 17th Amendment back so US Senators once again are appointed (and recalled) by state Legislatures?

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Apropos, from The Volokh Conspiracy, how case law affects the Article V convention.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Do you think there w/b 38 states restricting the Federal Government re: 10th Amendment? Putting in a 15 year Limit on SCOTUS? Repealing the 17th Amendment back so US Senators once again are appointed (and recalled) by state Legislatures?

+1

The central power theory is believed by most statist and state legislatures.

A chance for more power grab , they'd take it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)