• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question on county courthouse property

boomer92266

i took my son to glasgow for the parade and to see santa at the county courthouse on the square. there was a sign on the courthouse that said carrying of any weapons is prohibited on this property. is this legal?, sorry i didn't take a pic my wife had the camera and said taking the pic was just silly. she's sorta on the fence when it comes to carry. we live in monroe county and our courthouse also has a sign except it says carrying a concealed weapon inside courthouse is illegal. i thought as i went up to the one in glasgow it would say the same but didn't. the way it was wrote that anyone carrying on the property would be breaking a law. i believe the one here in monroe may be legal since it talks of carry inside, but what about outside in glasgow? oh and by the way i was carrying, it was concealed but i carry all i can. thanks

willy1094

KRS 237.110(16) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, no license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=44465

The "shall authorize" part of this section has always caused me trouble. I'm not sure if this means:
this CCDW does not give you special to enter these locations and only against the law if specifically listed somewhere else in the KRS or Federal law.
Or:
It is illegal to carry in these locations, openly or concealed.

Back to the OP. In my opinion, the sign is invalid because they used "property" instead of building. On the grounds outside the building you are OK. Inside can be regulated.